cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

I90 v US212 Sturgis to Billings

BlackButte
Explorer
Explorer
Which would be the better route for pulling a heavy 5th wheel westbound from Sturgis, SD to Billings, MT?

We're not overloaded by any of the gross weights but am near the limit for GVWR of my 07 Dodge 3500 5.9 CTD. The automatic tranny is downshifting more and more as I approach the Rockies and my mpg has dropped from 12.8 to 9.

Should I expect to creepycrawl up every pass from Sturgis to Seattle? I guess I'll find out between Billings and Bozeman.
2017 Arctic Fox 1150 wet bath, 510 watts solar, 300 AH lithium, 2000 watt inverter

2007 Dodge 3500, DRW, 4X4, 5.9 CTD, SunCoast 48RE, 4.10 rear, Firestone airbags, Rancho shocks, upper/lower Stableloads, Fastguns.
7 REPLIES 7

missourijan
Explorer
Explorer
We traveled on 212 several years ago because it was shorter. Wouldn't do it again. It is a constant up & down of small hills and nothing, did I say nothing is out there. No gas stations, no cel service, nothing. Yes, it's a good road, that's about it. If you had a problem it may take a long time to get any help

Islandman
Explorer
Explorer
We always use US 212 on our trips to the Black Hills from the west, it's a lot shorter and the road is in good shape.

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
We use 212 every time we go that direction, lots of open country, never any problems. Just came that way within the past month.
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
there is not a lot of scenery either way. I-90 is the easier and quicker of the two.

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Does the 5 mountain passes refer to the Sturges to Billings, or all the way to Seattle?

I haven't taken 212, but I90 does not cross any mountains before Billings.

After that there are several passes - one before Butte, another to Missoula, 2 in Idaho, and one just before Seattle.

ChuckV1
Explorer
Explorer
You will have five mountain passes to go over, some of which are longer than others, you have to face the fact that your fuel mileage will drop like a rock.

I-90 has more fuel stops for sure not HWY212 if needed. But HWY212 is the short cut outside of Belle Fourche South Dakota to the Little Big Horn outside of Billings and cuts off about 70 or more miles.

You only have one grade to climb and it's not very long, maybe 4 or 5 miles, as the OP stated there are lots of trucks on this road because it cutting off a number of miles for trucking company's an thus saving fuel.

I would not, I'll say it again I would not travel HWY212 at night, not only are the lots of trucks but tons and I mean tons of deer and antelope on this road at night, thus this why you see allot of the trucks with cow catchers on the front of their trucks who travel this road allot ... During the day you may see a few deer and antelope but not many, not like at night...

Trust me I have traveled this road many time with a Semi and a 5ht wheel I know it well ... Also coming west you have at time lots of head wind, again your fuel mileage will not be good, last year our fuel mileage dropped from 12 to 9 MPG on I-90 outside of Belle Fourche South Dakota to Billings ...

Safe Travels

Corky12
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 212 is mostly 2 lane with quite a lot of truck traffic. I would choose I90 so I didn't need to worry about slowing others down. Distance and time really isn't much different. There is a lot of up and down between Sturgis and Billings.