cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Jersey to the Keys

GGCIII
Explorer
Explorer
We will be heading down to Grassy Key on Jan. 1, 2016. Was able to book a week there and it is our first trip to the Keys.
My thought is to stay at South of the Border on the first night.
I would think just south of Melbourne, Fl. the second night, then a shorter leg to Grassy Key on day three. I will celebrate when we settle in!!!!
If anyone has any other ideas on travel and places to stay on the way down, I'm listening.
I don't mind #95 south since Jan. 1 should be a good ride through the worst of the congested areas.
7 REPLIES 7

Aadkins101
Explorer
Explorer
We've stayed at Pecan Park also - easy off 95 and lots of pull thrus. Very noisy with planes flying right overhead - didn't bother us, but if you are light sleepers.....Glad you are considering taking more time for your trip - better for safety. We used to make it from VA in 2 days, "back in the day" as you say! Now we take 4, sometimes even more due to 95 traffic, inconsiderate drivers, and heavy truck traffic. Happy travels & enjoy.

blknomad
Explorer
Explorer
Coastal Carolina is fairly new and nice. Be sure to hit Sonny's Bar-B-Q. Pecan Park just north of Jacksonville will work and is right on I-95.

GGCIII
Explorer
Explorer
A 101
You are making me reconsider the drive to the Keys. WAY BACK in the day a straight through drive was not a big deal. Daytona for breakfast and we were on our way. Haven't done that for a long time. I know Roanoke Rapids and that looks good as well as the other stops. Treasure Coast shows 4 pull thru sites, I will need to call in advance for a spot. We are not pressured to a timetable and the extra day would not hurt. After the Keys we will be at the Fort and at the American Farm Bureau convention for another week. Thanks for your help.

bass_n_bob
Explorer
Explorer
X2 on Carolina crossings.

Aadkins101
Explorer
Explorer
Check out RV Resort at Carolina Crossroads in Roanoke Rapids, NC for your 1st stop. Easy off 95 - paved pull-thru sites available.

And Coastal Carolina RV Resort in Brunswick, GA for your 2nd stop. Sites same as above.

Treasure Coast RV in Fort Pierce, FL for 3rd stop. Perfection there!
Right off 95 and then take the FL Turnpike (right there also) to your destination.

Take your time....it's a very tiring drive and wise to stop as often as possible for safety.

fitznj
Explorer
Explorer
NJ to South-of-the-Border is a stretch. I can just about make it Rocky Mount towing. No matter how fast/slow I drive, I always average 50-55 mph.

Jan 1 should be okay around Washington on I95 - otherwise leave NJ at mid-night and it gets you through the Washington area by 4AM - when there is usually very little traffic.

Good luck - that is one heck of a drive.

Gerry
Gerry

Bill___Kate
Explorer
Explorer
We always stop at South of the Border the first night - level, paved, pull through sites with full hookups for under $25, and far enough from the highway to not have to worry about the noise. Can't help you much with the Melbourne area as we always stop in St. Augustine and then in Stuart as we have family in those areas. Jump on the Turnpike from I95 at Fort Pearce and you have a straight shot down to the Keys. Order a Florida Sun Pass on line, and you can go through the express lanes and get reduced pricing. You will love the Keys and Grassy Key - we were there last February, and will be back the first two weeks in March .....
Bill & Kate - Stone Harbor, NJ
w/ Bailey (standard poodle) and Zeke (partipoodle)- both rescues
2018 Ford F-250 Super Duty Crew Cab w/ 6.2L gasser
2014 Forest River Wildcat 272RLX fifth wheel