cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lake George

Jomo2
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all. New to the forum. We will be traveling from Voorhees, NJ to Lake George RV in New York in a 40’ motorhome pulling our truck. We can easily get to the Jersey turnpike. Anyone know the best route to take? Thanks for any help!
9 REPLIES 9

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Moose Hill Lock and make reservations early. Booking at least a week for a site. Shying away from weekenders somewhat. LARGE sites, awesome pool. QUIET.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

Jomo2
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the help, folks. Will let you know how we made out, but not going til July.

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
I'd take the Turnpike to 287 and then up to the Thruway. Once you pass I-80, 287 isn't too bad.

Watch the signs around Albany to stay with I-87 and the Northway as the NY Thruway turns West and becomes I-90.

I'm 12'6" and have driven the entire length of the GSP many times. Those low bridges are arches and the shoulders are where it gets tight. They are mostly between Exits 120 and 140.

Airdaile
Explorer
Explorer
zigzagrv wrote:
I may be mistaken, but I believe the Garden State Parkway is closed to commercial and large vehicles like a motorhome. Overpasses are too low.

The GSP is open to RVs. The only issue with the overpasses is that a few are lower in the extreme right lane. I use the GSP from I-87 whenever I go through there. I-287 is ok but very rough in some spots.

zigzagrv
Explorer
Explorer
I may be mistaken, but I believe the Garden State Parkway is closed to commercial and large vehicles like a motorhome. Overpasses are too low.

Ron

2003 Gulf Stream Ultra Supreme 33'
F53 Class A
2013 Ford Edge toad

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
CloudDriver's route description is the way I would go. The only change I might consider would be taking something like the Garden State Parkway to Rt 17 to I-87 and there north; Google suggests it's the same time but a few miles shorter...but I suspect I-287 would be easier going and probably better all things considered.

There's no practical way to avoid the congestion around Lake George and especially the outlet shops; luckily the worst of it is not a long stretch of road, maybe a quarter mile.

Jomo2
Explorer
Explorer
Lake George RV. And thank you very much!

PCronin68
Explorer
Explorer
Lake George Rv Park or Moose Hillock Campground
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 34b

CloudDriver
Explorer
Explorer
We went up to Lake George in June 2017 form the Jersey Shore. From your location I would suggest the NJ Turnpike to I287 to join the NY Thruway and the Adirondack Northway (I87) all the way to exit 20 for route 149 - Fort Ann & Whitehall.

From Exit 20 it was a left turn at a traffic light then about 1/2 mile to a right turn onto 149. Traffic was bad in this area due to a number of outlet stores in the section between the exit and 149.

FYI, we stayed at King Phillips Campground a mile or so further north.
2003 Winnebago Minnie 24F - Ford E-450🙂