cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Lyons Colo.

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone gone through Lyons in there rv since the floods(hopefully recently) If so how are the roads for a 34' Class A
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD
3 REPLIES 3

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Colo Native wrote:
Has anyone gone through Lyons in there rv since the floods(hopefully recently) If so how are the roads for a 34' Class A

US 36 from Lyons to Estes Park is still under re-construction, and is expected to remain that way at least through the remainder of this travel season. There's a spot about 5 miles out of Lyons where it's dirt, one-lane rough road for about 1.5 to 2 miles, where traffic is via a pilot car. Lots of heavy earth moving and rock blasting and moving in that area. Delays can be 30-60 minutes, maybe longer depending on what they are doing on any given day.

There's another section of re-construction further up and again is via pilot car through the area, just not quite as long an area, but still heavy earth moving. Again, delays of 30-60 minutes. I don't recommend travelling US 36 at all with RV/MH/trailers.

Alternative from Lyons is to just take CO 7 up the South St Vrain Canyon to Raymond and then on to Allenspark and in to Estes Park. Typical Colorado mountain/canyon driving...curves and ups/downs. While the South St Vrain did sustain damage it's not near as extensive as the North St Vrain, which is the US 36 route. CO 7 does have some road damage that's not yet been repaired, but it's certainly passable.

I'm planning to be up there again this weekend and will be checking out both routes first hand to see what sort of progress CDOT is making. Last time I was up that way was about a month ago, and the progress is slow. There is a LOT of work to do on US 36, as they are moving the roadway in spots further up from the river.

You can also take US 34 up from Loveland through Drake and in to Estes Park. The roadway is fine, it's been rebuilt and is pretty much the way it was before the flood. That's the roadway. Off the roadway, there is still a lot of devastation from the flood, particularly from the top of the Narrows to Drake. Lots of reconstruction going on there along the river, but the times I've been up that way, there's no impeding of traffic. I go up there every few weeks and it's not been a problem on US 34.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just got back from Estes Park. All my local friends advised taking the Big Thompson from Loveland because of the delays and road conditions between Lyons and Estes. That is what we did. There was some construction and minor delays.

Have driven Highway 72 from Central City to 7 at Allenspark and into Estes several times since the flood. Highway 7 has taken a real beating. Shoulders are breaking down and lots of potholes patched or not.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

1mtnman
Explorer II
Explorer II
The last I heard was that there is still delays due to ongoing construction. I would check with CDOT. I recently took HWY 7 up to Estes Park to avoid the delays.