cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Northern Lights

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
We will be leaving Niagra around Oct. 16. Looking at google earth, it looks like the Northern Lights are visible around this time of year. Are there any campgrounds open that late? Is Georgian Bay/Lake Huron a good place to go? Leaving BR on Saturday; I am about to bust wanting to get on the road!!! God grant me patience, now.LOL
6 REPLIES 6

SWD
Explorer
Explorer
campigloo wrote:
SWD wrote:
Come to Saskatchewan....they are visible every other night....at least at our ranch they are. I have two full service sites with wifi that are still open.

OHHH how I'd love to! Retiring Oct next year so HOPEFULLY the following summer I will be there. Maybe autumn too!

Give me a heads up....welcome anytime to enjoy a star filled sky at night.

Orion
Explorer
Explorer
For an unknown reason, Aurorae tend to increase around the time of the equinox. Normally the particles ejected from active sunspots are what form the aurora, but at this time of the year, a week or so either side of Sept. 22nd., the particles from the Solar Wind is enough to trigger a display.
Even though we are in the peak of the 11 year cycle of solar and therefore auroral activity, this peak has been strangely inactive.
To get an idea of the possibility of seeing them, keep your eye on a website like this one. Right now, the activity is shown as 'High' and from the top of the Bruce Peninsula, the Aurora should be visible low on the northern horizon. The same map shows that the aurora does not appear overhead, and therefore more spectacular, until you as far north and west as Lake of the Woods, MN. This area has the same amount of auroral visibility as the Alaskan Panhandle.
Sometimes I sit and think deep thoughts. other times, I just sit!

poncho62
Explorer
Explorer
Most campgrounds in Ontario are open until this weekend (Canadian Thanksgiving)......Some may be open a little later if the weather is nice

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
Last night the northern lights were very active here over waterloo and wellington county. Tonight the show is supposed to be just as good.

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
SWD wrote:
Come to Saskatchewan....they are visible every other night....at least at our ranch they are. I have two full service sites with wifi that are still open.

OHHH how I'd love to! Retiring Oct next year so HOPEFULLY the following summer I will be there. Maybe autumn too!

SWD
Explorer
Explorer