cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Progressive Insurance in Mexico

Hpymils
Explorer
Explorer
Has any one had experience with a Progressive insurance claim while in Mexico? I just talked to a person from RVAmerica insurance in California who sells Progressive policies. That person didn't know much about assistance of a Progressive representative if need be while in Mexico.
24 REPLIES 24

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Many of them have their own adjusters. They will even show up at the scene of an accident.

Moisheh

Hpymils
Explorer
Explorer
I wonder do all Mexican insurance companies that insure US and Canadian RVs in Mexico use the same contact for adjusters?

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moisheh, I had to wait a week for a piece of aluminum siding for my trailer. There may be many companies, I just wanted to point out that not every repair shop or dealer will be ready to do this right there and then.

One more thing people should remember: Mex insurance can be not just a liability. From full-profile brokers like Lewis you can buy ALL of your insurance, including liability, accident, theft, towing, US repair labor etc. It will be insurance by Mex company, sold through their US broker, with contract in English. Prices for 6-month insurance start from less than $1 a day. Phone reps - if you will have to deal with accident - do speak English.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Almot: NOB there are lots of companies that can match the profile. They have a roller with movable replaceable dies. Similar to what eaves trough and siding installers use. BTW: painting is never a problem. If you have seen some of the new Tufesa buses the graphics are even more complicated than a high end MH.

Moisheh

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hpymils wrote:
We received our Progressive Mexico RV insurance policy today. The policy includes the following:
1.this Coverage does not apply if liability insurance from a licensed Mexican insurance company is not in force

Like others said. You must have Mex liability.

A good point on RV aluminum body - they don't have corrugated sheets in Mexico, and even in the US they neither have nor make it at an average RV shop. It has to be ordered from a larger specialized shop, to match both profile and color.

Talleyho69
Thanks for checking on it and confirming what we had all been told in the past.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Chuck ( Iguana) is 100% correct. If you have an accident and the vehicle cannot be driven they will tow it to the closest US border. When we first bought Progressive that is how the policy read. But when I called them this year for a new policy the customer service person said no. Seems he is wrong. This is fabulous insurance. Can you imagine the cost of a long distance tow????

Moisheh

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Iguana

iguana07
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like l posted previously on same topic my policy reads they tow to nearest border exit when RV cannot be driven due to collision. I have had Proggresive for our RV 's since 2003 have had 1 towing claim of $1,600.00 and replacement of two piece windshield with no hassles in US
Chuck n Sandy
Roxy the Kelpie and Kiki the cat.

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
It was old 3 years ago when they told me about towing to the border to the border. However this year I was told that they would only pay the Towing up to the emergency towing amount. Seems like if we all call the answer will be different each time. I will have to check the new policy when it arrives. I might call and get them to email me the answer. I do know that your personal effects are not covered.

Moisheh

lb311
Explorer
Explorer
I was told the same thing as Tallyho69, when I called Progressive before my first trip to Mexico 2 years ago. They said everything except liability was covered when I went to Mexico, with the caveats about repairs being covered only if done in the U.S.

I'll call them again this year before I go to confirm again, but 2 years ago they also told me that my Comprehensive and personal effects coverages would also be honored while in Mexico too, so if a coconut fell on my RV and broke a solar panel, or I got mugged while touring a town and got a camera stolen, I'd still be covered (obviously, not fixed/reimbursed until I got back to the U.S., but supposedly still covered).

Good info to be aware of with the roadside assistance coverage. I just removed that from my Progressive policies and decided to go with GoodSamERS again. $1000 will be better than nothing if I ever need towing!
2007 Winnebago View 23J
2003 Chevy Tracker ZR2 4WD
http://winnieviews.blogspot.com

Talleyho69
Thank you so much. I read the above, called them a couple of years ago to get the number of days covered in Mexico increased, (no charge), and am happy. Good grief, there is even coverage on my pets! We have been insured by them for over 20 years.

Get tired of reading the posts by nay sayers, who say it isn't so!

Hpymils
Explorer
Explorer
We received our Progressive Mexico RV insurance policy today. The policy includes the following:
INSURANCE AGREEMENT - MEXICO COVERAGE
If you purchased Collision and Comprehensive Coverage, the policy territory described in General Provisions of this policy is extended to Collision Coverage to include a loss to a covered vehicle that occurs in Mexico or while the covered vehicle is being transported between Mexican ports, subject to the additional following conditions and restrictions.
1.this Coverage does not apply if liability insurance from a licensed Mexican insurance company is not in force at the time of loss.
2.we will only pay for repairs performed in the United States; and
3.we will not pay for repairs performed in Mexico.
If the covered vehicle cannot be driven as a result of a loss that occurs in Mexico, we will pay the cost of necessary towing and labor to return the covered vehicle to the nearest point in the United States where repairs can be made.

I haven't read the rest of the fine print in the policy, but we are headed to Mexico with Progressive.

iguana07
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Mexican liability takes care of your accident, other party. Progressive is supposed to take care of your collision damage as long as you carry Mexican liability. You would be in contact with your Mexican rep.
Chuck n Sandy
Roxy the Kelpie and Kiki the cat.