Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Update" Trip to Phoenix AZ

IND_navyvet
Explorer
Explorer
Orginal thread for our Trip to Phoenix AZ
We got home Saturday from our Phoenix trip and had a great time. Weather was a little problem but it was not heat, it was a little rainy Sunday and Monday, sorry Mesa we did not know we had a storm cloud over our heads. If you ever get the chance to go to Lost Dutchman SP, by all means go there is something about that mountain you can't get enough of it.

We traveled 377 to 260 to 87 to N Bush Rd to Usery Pass Rd to University to 88 to the park.
When we left we took Apache Trail Rd to 87 to 260 to 377 to 77 to Holbrook and I think it was a better route, longer but better, for me.

This was the first time for us pulling a trailer in the mountains and things went pretty good until we got to Payson. Then the rain started and we drove most of the way down the mountain in a hard rain. At 1 point we pulled off the road until the rain let up, when weather cleared we saw we weren't the only ones, there were about 15 cars in the same wide area. Monday we needed to go Camping World in Mesa or Tempe not sure where we were. Anyhow it rained hard enough some of the streets started to flood, a lot of water standing everywhere. We finished our business and headed back to Lost Dutchman SP got about a half mile away and there sat a State Trooper. Water was flowing over the road, we stopped and he told us we could get to the park but probably not much further as there was a lot debris in the road.

Weather did get better for the the rest of the time we were there and we sure did enjoy it highs in the high 80's low 90's and dry, nice.
5 REPLIES 5

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, Lost Dutchman is a jewel! You need to return in the spring when the place is full of flowers. We have volunteered there - a nice gig. Glad you were able to enjoy the 80s & 90s after all that rain!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Quartzsite when a tornado set down in Blythe.......believe me, we felt the winds and the rain was amazing!!!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ Every time we've been to Arizona we hear "this is the coldest winter ever"......so hang on to your hats, Arizona, we're on our way again!
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

IND_navyvet
Explorer
Explorer
We were in Tuscon in 1996 and it rained. They got about an inch and a half of rain and put 3 ft. of snow on Mt.Lemmon

Us_out_West
Explorer
Explorer
Heard there was a lot of rain.

Lost Dutchman? Everyone should visit this place if in the area.
Our Trip Journal

2012 Jayco Pinnacle (View)
36 KitchenPantryTripleSlide
MorRyde pin box and suspension, Curt Q24, Dual Pane windows, Auto Levelers, 2 AC's,and more.

2009 Silverado 3500HD 4X4 (View)
CC, Dura-Max 6.6/Allison,LB ,DRW,Amer. Tank 65 gal. Aux Fuel

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
We love our infrequent rains here in AZ. Otherwise, our green deserts would not be so beautiful... Glad you enjoyed visiting our state.
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)