cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Route from Las Vegas to Yosimite

LA-REDNECK
Explorer
Explorer
Best route info please, trip Ist of September.
Thanks in advance.
LA-REDNECK

2013 Tiffin Allegro Open Road
2017 Acadia
9 REPLIES 9

calewjohnson
Explorer
Explorer
We went from LV to Yosemite last summer, pulled our Outback (37ft, with a Duramax). We took 95 to 266 to 168 to 395 to 120 (stayed an overnight in June Lake) and took Tioga Pass over to stay in Groveland. Absolutely a phenomenal drive...168 was the tightest part of the trip...there was a section of single lane, maybe 100 yds...and absolutely ZERO cell phone reception, which we enjoy.

Safe travels!

Cale
TV: 2015 6.7 F350 CC LB 4x4 DRW with 14k GVWR option (4.3 gear), 98 gallon aux tank installed by Transfer Flow
New: 2014 Voltage 3950
Traded: 2014 Outback 323BH
Still Have: 2007 Fleetwood Nitrous 23ft Toy Hauler

Travelon
Explorer
Explorer
LA-REDNECK wrote:
For mssmith1199. If you were planning on seeing Kings Canyon and Sequoia, would you still take 120 west through Tioga Pass?

Yes, there is no roads from the east into Kings/Sequoia only from the westside. Hw 180 is the preferable route while towing.

Travelon.
2004 Silverado 2500HD D/A CC LB 4x4, Timbrens, Fold-a-Cover,
Line-X, DeeZee Running Boards, Prodigy, Husky 16K UBS,
2004 Titanium 32E37DS, Two Honda EU2000i

LA-REDNECK
Explorer
Explorer
For mssmith1199. If you were planning on seeing Kings Canyon and Sequoia, would you still take 120 west through Tioga Pass?
LA-REDNECK

2013 Tiffin Allegro Open Road
2017 Acadia

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
Coming into Yosemite from the East side has some steep spots and it is a windy road, but it's very doable in any size RV. I've done it several times in my 35' foot DP with the toad. If I was already on the east side of the hills (like in Vegas) no way in the world would I drive around into the Central Valley to get into Yosemite from the west. The east side is so much more of a scenic drive. The central valley is ghetto! I know, I live there.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Moved from Forum Technical Support

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't think you'll have any trouble with the route you want to take, but there is a tough grade on 120 when you leave 395, and there is likely going to be a lot of tourist traffic on the road from Tuolomne Meadows on west. It's a lot prettier than going down through Barstow, etc.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
I drove that route in 2011, US95 to Tonopah, then US6 west to Hwy 120 west (past Mono Lake area). Came back the same way. I don't recall anything that would give a larger rig trouble.

I'm looking at basically that same route, But will remain on US6 at Tonopah to US395 at Bishop. Have you taken this route before?. how is it for pulling a 23' Travel Trailer?. Any concerns as to narrow road, switchbacks, Tunnels, grades, etc.

Thanks
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I drove that route in 2011, US95 to Tonopah, then US6 west to Hwy 121 west (past Mono Lake area). Came back the same way. I don't recall anything that would give a larger rig trouble.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

TexasShadow
Explorer II
Explorer II
it will still be very hot in Death Valley, so I would go down to Barstow then over to Bakersfield through Mohave, then north to Fresno if you have a small trailer or to Merced if you have a big rig.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.