cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

rv to Lake Chapala area

bcr
Explorer
Explorer
We are posting to this forum for the first time, so hope we are doing it right! We would like to take our fifth wheel from Canada to Mexico to the Lake Chapala area for 3 months in Jan. 2017. We would cross the border on the eastern side of northern Mexico. However, we just found out the northern border states are designated "under travel advisory" by the Can. govt. due to violence. We realize we would just be passing through the northern states, but we are still concerned about making that passage. One of our questions is if anyone knows of a caravan or another small group we could join up with to make our first trip. Our dates could be flexible to accommodate such help. Thanks!
23 REPLIES 23

Almot
Explorer III
Explorer III
bcr wrote:
We would like to take our fifth wheel from Canada to Mexico to the Lake Chapala area for 3 months in Jan. 2017.

Can't say about road safety since I'm on the Pacific side. The issue seems to be a bit overrated though.

But I wonder if you've ever been to Chapala before, and what could be the reason to drive that far and to a place as "un-campy" as Chapala/Ajijic. Gringos own homes there, often getting in and out by plane to GDL, bus connection is excellent. The entire North side of the lake is one long developed stretch. OTH, RV parks there are not too numerous, to put it mildly. To think of it, a big 40ft motorhome is an equivalent of a small 320 sq.ft. studio (that would probably cost you less than RV pad in Jocotepec).

rztravelerUSA
Explorer
Explorer
I have lived in Chapala since 2007 and traveled the west Pacific highway this past April. I crossed at Nogales, only took about 15 minutes to obtain my tourist visa once I crossed the border. I had a Visa to live in Mexico for 9 years but due to the change in immigration laws I dropped it and now come down on a 6 month tourist visa. I have a 30 foot motorhome and have traveled all over Mexico. In 2010 I drove to Panama with 2 other motorhomes, we spent a year traveling thru Central America. I will return to the USA in October and plan on driving back to Chapala in December or January. Others mention the bypass around Guadalajara and they are correct in that it is a bear to drive. It has been improved the past 10 years but I still grit my teeth when driving it. You are NOT allowed to drive a 5th wheel or RV inside the city and will be ticketed if you do.
I have crossed the border at Laredo, Texas and McAllen, Texas. I used to cross all the time at Santa Theresa, New Mexico which is near El Paso, Texas but there are no RV parks for most the drive and it is a lonely drive with few vehicles in the event you break down. I now cross at Nogales, Arizona and drive down the Pacific coast highway. At Tepic, Nayarit I go east to Guadalajara and then to Chapala. More traffic so I feel safer and there are RV parks but a long drive between them.
I built a place for my RV in Chapala and have space for another RV or 5th wheel with 30/50 AMP service, water and sewer. You can view my place at https://www.flickr.com/photos/ronohio/albums
and look at the pictures n the Albums section. These were taken back in 2011 and since then I have planted more trees and shrubs and now looks completely different. You can see the RV I had at the time parked in the bay and friends of mine parked at the other RV site. A friend of mine has his trailer parked there now but will be moving it. Ron
Ron

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Have a friend who had his car stolen off the beach, never found. He had paperwork from three offices saying it was stolen. Back home he got payed out for the vehicle, upon entering the next fall, he was handed the amount he would have to pay for selling his car! They paid, not wanting to forego the winter in Mexico. Afterward, we have heard that this is / was standard procedure when a vehicle is stolen. Stolen = you sold it. This may have changed from eight or so years ago.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
Canadian Rainbirds wrote:
I agree with Brian/Sue. We too use Lewis and Lewis, and can attest from 1st hand personal experience the help you can get from the Broker should there be an issue with the adjuster.

Here is a link to our blog which describes our several crossings from Texas (Laredo, Columbia Bridge) and also one of the "horror" stories that you hear about, our Jeep being stolen. Note that this incident did NOT prevent our returning to Mexico.

Here is a better link to part of our blog starting with our crossing at Columbia Bridge in November 1015

Be prepared to spend at least an hour dealing with paperwork at Aduana and Inmagracion. There are usually two stops and inspections; one at the border and a main one several (often 20 or more) kilometers south of the crossing.

Buen Viaje

Did they ever recover that jeep? After your incident & Ron & Vicky's I put a GPS tracker and anti hijack device into my truck. It did not deter Ron & Vicky either. He put the same anti hijack device in his new truck as I have.

daveB110
Explorer
Explorer
Check the deductible on the insurance you're looking at. Our first buy had a 1,000 dollar deductible. Then we heard about Lewis and Lewis which had 500 dollars for a deductible. We went with Lewis and Lewis for the rest of our Mexican travels and although we never had a claim, felt their service was great.

Canadian_Rainbi
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Brian/Sue. We too use Lewis and Lewis, and can attest from 1st hand personal experience the help you can get from the Broker should there be an issue with the adjuster.

Here is a link to our blog which describes our several crossings from Texas (Laredo, Columbia Bridge) and also one of the "horror" stories that you hear about, our Jeep being stolen. Note that this incident did NOT prevent our returning to Mexico.

Here is a better link to part of our blog starting with our crossing at Columbia Bridge in November 1015

Be prepared to spend at least an hour dealing with paperwork at Aduana and Inmagracion. There are usually two stops and inspections; one at the border and a main one several (often 20 or more) kilometers south of the crossing.

Buen Viaje

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
briansue wrote:
The only company which has no cap that I have found, is Lewis & Lewis (there may be others since I checked). We now recommend everyone use them for their insurance or at least check this out on the policy they intend to buy.

We also use and recommend Lewis & Lewis but there are a couple of points travelers should be aware of. Lewis & Lewis is a US company that sells Mexican insurance. There are a number of Mexican insurance companies and brokers in the US such as L&L which all sell insurance from the same companies - the same policies for about the same amount. We feel with L&L we can get help on a personal level if we ever need it in Mexico - help the other companies may not provide. This is a personal impression which is not based on personal experience - other companies may be just as good. We will only find out should a need arise - which we hope never happens. We recommend L&L based on what others on this forum have said about them over the years.

Also Note - It is our understanding that Mexico has limits on how much liability someone can be sued for - unlike the US where people sue for as many millions as they can get. More questions to be asked.

Also about insurance - some US policies and companies do cover comprehensive - collision etc. (I don't know about Canada) but only Mexican companies can provide liability so you must buy liability from a Mexican company. If you do not buy liability and are in an accident the law in Mexico is the police arrest you until the whole thing is sorted out (could this take months?) - with insurance the insurance takes care of this and you will not be detained. You should check with your US or Canadian insurance to see if you are covered for collision etc. We changed to Progressive in the US because they cover us for collision in Mexico - not all companies do. Having US collision means we can get repairs in the US at US rates - but questioning Progressive told us they will only pay for so many miles or so many dollars toward towing back to the US - I forget - or maybe it is our Good Sam policy that limits - more questions need to be asked of your insurer. But Progressive only covers our motorhome and not our towed vehicle so we buy Mexican insurance for the car. There are many questions about insurance we cannot answer because it is just to complicated. We read of people buying something called "driver's license" insurance which is supposed to cover you no matter what vehicle you drive - we have heard good and bad about this and have chosen not to risk it.

Thanks

briansue
Explorer
Explorer
The only company which has no cap that I have found, is Lewis & Lewis (there may be others since I checked). We now recommend everyone use them for their insurance or at least check this out on the policy they intend to buy.

We also use and recommend Lewis & Lewis but there are a couple of points travelers should be aware of. Lewis & Lewis is a US company that sells Mexican insurance. There are a number of Mexican insurance companies and brokers in the US such as L&L which all sell insurance from the same companies - the same policies for about the same amount. We feel with L&L we can get help on a personal level if we ever need it in Mexico - help the other companies may not provide. This is a personal impression which is not based on personal experience - other companies may be just as good. We will only find out should a need arise - which we hope never happens. We recommend L&L based on what others on this forum have said about them over the years.

Also Note - It is our understanding that Mexico has limits on how much liability someone can be sued for - unlike the US where people sue for as many millions as they can get. More questions to be asked.

Also about insurance - some US policies and companies do cover comprehensive - collision etc. (I don't know about Canada) but only Mexican companies can provide liability so you must buy liability from a Mexican company. If you do not buy liability and are in an accident the law in Mexico is the police arrest you until the whole thing is sorted out (could this take months?) - with insurance the insurance takes care of this and you will not be detained. You should check with your US or Canadian insurance to see if you are covered for collision etc. We changed to Progressive in the US because they cover us for collision in Mexico - not all companies do. Having US collision means we can get repairs in the US at US rates - but questioning Progressive told us they will only pay for so many miles or so many dollars toward towing back to the US - I forget - or maybe it is our Good Sam policy that limits - more questions need to be asked of your insurer. But Progressive only covers our motorhome and not our towed vehicle so we buy Mexican insurance for the car. There are many questions about insurance we cannot answer because it is just to complicated. We read of people buying something called "driver's license" insurance which is supposed to cover you no matter what vehicle you drive - we have heard good and bad about this and have chosen not to risk it.

navegator
Explorer
Explorer
Mr: Tequila, the crossing at the Anzalduas bridge avoids going through Reynosa from Mission, if crossing here be careful with the speed bumps on the American side, they are rather nasty and tall.

Once past the initial check point, turn left next to the building into a big parking lot, Banjercito and Inmigration are in the big building, there is a door from the parking lot, rather than going arround the building, have copies of all the documents.

Once the TIP's and visas have been processed exit the parking lot by the same entrance and make a left turn, the next check point is the military unit, they are looking for weapons and ammo, after that proceed to exit going to the left, this is highway 2.

Go easy untill you see the exit to Monterrey, it is a hard one to spot so go slow and it is not well banked and sharp this gets you to 40 and 40D to Monterrey.

The return is the same, the on ramp to 2 is a little tricky it is a right turn in what looks like an industrial road and then comes the right turn onto no2 toward the Anzalduas bridge, once on the American side stay on the right side and be patient, they only have 3 booths, depending on the hour there can be a line and a wait, to retun paper work to return the visas and TIP uspe the same parking lot.

navegator

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
That is one of the crossings that people with pickups are being hassled right now.

qtla9111
Nomad
Nomad
navegator wrote:
Reynosa can be avoided completely by crossing at the Anzalduas bridge and then going to Monterrey, Saltillo, Matamoros, San Miguel de Allende and on to Guadalajara.

navegator

Actually, Reynosa makes for a great crossing; Pharr, Hidalgo, Mission. The route from Reynosa to Saltillo is direct, fast and takes you directly west as you cross the border.
2005 Dodge Durango Hemi
2008 Funfinder 230DS
Living and Boondocking Mexico Blog

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
briansue wrote:
We have often crossed near Laredo, TX but west of Laredo at a crossing known as Columbia Crossing which allows avoiding city traffic on both sides of the border. There are a couple different routes you can take to get to Chapala. The last I knew the only RV park near Chapala is
. . . http://www.roca-azul.com/ . . .
which is at the west end of the lake with about a 20 mile trip into Ajijic and Chapala.

Be sure to carefully read the "stickies" at the top of this forum. We get our insurance from
. . . . http://www.mexicanautoinsurance.com/ . . .
be sure you understand how Mexico insurance works and get what you need. Also be sure you get all the proper permits etc. The border can be somewhat of a hassle the first trip - not at all like the US/Canada crossings - too much paperwork - but it has to be done.

Maps and a good GPS are important and route planning is important. People on this forum can help with route planning and stops along the way once you have an idea of what you want to do and where you want to go.

A new bypass around the south side of Guadalajara has been under construction for a few years and could be open by the time you need it - but it may not be on a map yet - this will make a huge difference in avoiding Guadalajara traffic.

In Mexico there are bypass or ring or loop roads called periferico or libramente around most cities and even small towns which are a big help - your GPS may want to go through town but you want to try to always take the circle around town.

There are two kinds of roads you want to be aware of in Mexico. Cuotas are toll roads and they are expensive - a bad idea where private companies build and supposedly maintain the roads - the tolls are so high many Mexicans cannot afford to use them - they are generally good roads with little traffic - big 4 lane roads. Then there are libres which are free roads which are often narrow and only two lanes - but in recent years there has been a great deal of highway construction all over Mexico and roads have been improving greatly. There are times to take the cuota and times to take the libre. Get help here with mapping your route.

Roads in Mexico are controlled by a Gov't agency called SCT. They have a website

. . . http://www.sct.gob.mx/informacion-general/planeacion/cartografia/mapa-por-estado/ . . . .

where you can download .pdf files of maps of each state in Mexico. If you will travel with a computer these maps can be very helpful. They only show main roads - not detailed city maps - but can be very useful for planning. They are road map size maps which you can zoom in on and move all around in your computer. They take a little practice - learning curve - but are among the best maps you will find - Guia Roji gets their book maps from these maps.

Here
. . . http://app.sct.gob.mx/sibuac_internet/ControllerUI?action=cmdEscogeRuta&eligeIdioma=si . . .
is another useful SCT website where you can calculate tolls on the cuotas - not 100% accurate but can help. The trick is to understand they may charge you as either one vehicle with multiple axles or two vehicles so calculating can be tricky. We have a motorhome towing a car so we are not as familiar with how they charge for trailer types. Someone else can provide more details.

Here
. . . http://www.ontheroadin.com/ . . .
is a website that can be very helpful in route planning. They know all the ins and outs. We have bought most of their road logs and though we have been roaming around Mexico for over 10 years we still use these logs - they are worth the price - print them out and make up a ring binder to follow along. Lots of other stuff showing RV parks etc.

Here
. . . http://www.rollinghomes.com/ . . .
you will find a book referred to as the Church Book or the Bible for travel in Mexico. The book has not be re-issued for several years so is somewhat out of date. But their website has updates that provide new information not found in their book. A most valuable resource.

Here
. . . http://ioverlander.com/ . . .
is another useful website for trip planning - which can be useful when used along with others mentioned above.

That should help get you started on planning.

Oh - our Gov'ts have been posting warnings about travel in Mexico for as long as I can remember - don't go you will be killed type stuff - the warnings should be heeded to some extent - as they should everywhere and anywhere you travel - but most of the crime in Mexico has to do with the drug wars with cartels killing each other over trade routes etc. This rarely has to do with tourists or travelers. Crime happens in all countries. Crime can happen anywhere you go. In all our years of travel in Mexico we have never experienced crime of any kind. We have never been hassled by police either. Not to say bad things will never happen but the odds are you will not have problems.

Ok I have a couple of comments. First of all with insurance. The wagon master on our spring 2015 caravan found out about insurance the hard way when he did $24K worth of damage to his RV. Nearly all Mexican insurance companies cap their policies at $75 an hour US labor rates. US labor rates for RV's is about $125 an hour, a $50 an hour shortfall. He was out of pocket to the tune of about $6000. The only company which has no cap that I have found, is Lewis & Lewis (there may be others since I checked). We now recommend everyone use them for their insurance or at least check this out on the policy they intend to buy. I can speak form my own experience that they handle claims well. When I pranged my own trailer last fall, an adjuster showed up in 15 min. I paid my own repair in Az, and was reimbursed about 2 months later. I also witnessed another accident 2 years ago and the adjuster in that case also showed in 15 min. I have heard horror stories from a few other companies. The other issue is Medivac insurance which is included on many policies. If you are Canadian, make sure they will evacuate you to a Canadian city not a US one, for obvious reasons. They are usually fairly restrictive, in the case of Lewis & Lewis it happens to be Vancouver.

As to information sources you can also look at http://www.mexicorvforums.com/border.php That page is pretty up to date regarding permits, rules etc.

You can also get your permit on line. Normally this is not a good idea if you live far ffrom the border as they are almost impossible to cancel by mail, but depending on the outcome of the weights issue, it may become advisable. The link for that is https://www.banjercito.com.mx/registroVehiculos/capturaOpcionl.do

I highly recommend getting a dash cam. If you are in an accident where it is not your fault,they are invaluable. Stash it before the cops arrive if it is your fault. Garmin also has a new GPS out with one built in. BTW do not rely on a GPS, use it in concert with Guia Roji and be aware they may take you on a route that is not RV friendly. In your case with a 5th wheel you do not want to enter a town you do not know the route through. If in doubt follow a bus.

See the photo below. That is from a caravan so the wagon master (Kevin Read) knew what he was doing, but it is typical of what you could find yourself in. In this particular town they had to use wire lifters to clear phone lines.

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
BCR, I do now know if you are following the other thread on pickup trucks. You should, since it affects you. Can you do me a favor and look at your Ontario truck registration and let me know what it shows for weights. GVW? Net? etc. In BC GVW & Net are shown which provides an avenue if you present thedocumentaion from SAT which is available on line and linked in that other thread. I am curious as to what is shown in Ontario. If net weight is not shown, my advice is to go get your truck weighed empty at a scale and try to get some official slip of paper. Any ammunition is good. I am pretty sure we will have this sorted out, but people who do not have something showing vehicle net weights, only GVW, could be subject to headaches still. I am getting a feeling there is something political at play here and it may have something to do with Mexico being forced to follow NAFTA rules regarding importation of vehicles in 2018.

mikedurant
Explorer
Explorer
Great Information.