cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

RV travel to Canada

georgiebc
Explorer
Explorer
Is it automatic that an RV will be stopped & searched when entering Canada? Is this something that I should allow time for?
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3500 DS
2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Stowmaster tow gear
FMCA Member # F405266
34 REPLIES 34

GPs
Explorer
Explorer
Wonderful RVing in Canada--certainly the border crossing needs to be considered as advised appropriately in these replies--but our experience crossing and travels all the way to Newfoundland & Labrador as well as central and western Canada have been worth the minor time at the crossing.
G & G P
2000 Ford F250
2000 Lance 1030

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
And don't just assume you can waltz back into the US without paperwork either.

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
I think I'll just leave it all at home and enjoy the trip.
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog

georgiebc
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for all the good information.
2006 Georgie Boy Pursuit 3500 DS
2008 Suzuki Grand Vitara
Stowmaster tow gear
FMCA Member # F405266

rwbradley
Explorer
Explorer
Highway 4x4 wrote:
Possibly doing the Selkirk Loop this summer. The info here is very helpful. having never been out of the US I don't want to cause an issue because I didn't know about some reg, like the bear spray. Are any and all guns not allowed? Like an O/U shotgun or lever action rifle? How about prescription meds?

As stated, check the regs, but something that the regs do not always clearly spell out intent: In the case of Bear Spray for example, do not conceal it, do not carry it on your person ANYWHERE where the probability of encountering a bear is very low ie the mall, and most important, unlike the US, do not ever use it against another human even in self defense, unless you want to face the equivalent up here of a felony (I know, not trying to start that debate). Mind you RVing up in Canada means less chance of being mugged by a human than a bear anyway ๐Ÿ™‚
Rob
rvtechwithrvrob.com

okgc
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
Highway 4x4 wrote:
Are any and all guns not allowed? Like an O/U shotgun or lever action rifle? How about prescription meds?

Do NOT accept anecdotal information on this subject. Go the Canadian Border Services website and if you are not sure after that, then call them and ask. If you show up with a prohibited weapon they won't just give you a stare. And God help the traveler that figures on 'forgetting' about a piece of kit in the back somewhere.
Gary Haupt

Everything you need to know is here:
Firearm Users Visiting Canada
2010 Tiffin Allegro RED 36 QSA with GMC Envoy
Alaska 2015

sue_t
Explorer
Explorer
Prescription meds must be in the original bottle and a quantity that is enough for personal use only.

Bear spray is sometimes seen as a weapon. Smaller canisters are sometimes permitted. The larger self-defence ones usually aren't. Bear spray must be declared at the border.

Same as weapons, even knives. We've been asked about knives a few times, so I declared my Swiss Army jackknife and my butcher knives in the fifth wheel, and fish filleting knife and the hunting knife. Then the agent went on about switch blades and the such, of which we had none.

With the proper paperwork, some guns can be taken across the border. Best to follow-up with the laws to determine specifics. It is the agent's decision at the border as to whether they'll let you cross with the guns, so be prepared if the agent decides to not let the weapons cross.
sue t.
Pictures from our many RV Adventures to Yukon & Alaska from Vancouver Island. Now we live in Yukon!

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
Highway 4x4 wrote:
Are any and all guns not allowed? Like an O/U shotgun or lever action rifle? How about prescription meds?

Do NOT accept anecdotal information on this subject. Go the Canadian Border Services website and if you are not sure after that, then call them and ask. If you show up with a prohibited weapon they won't just give you a stare. And God help the traveler that figures on 'forgetting' about a piece of kit in the back somewhere.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

Highway_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Possibly doing the Selkirk Loop this summer. The info here is very helpful. having never been out of the US I don't want to cause an issue because I didn't know about some reg, like the bear spray. Are any and all guns not allowed? Like an O/U shotgun or lever action rifle? How about prescription meds?
2014 Ram Cummins Laramie, Crew cab, 4x4, Loaded, Snugtop camper
2014 OutdoorsRV Wind River 250RDSW
Big spoiled Bernese Mountain Dog

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
We were "casually" searched once going into Canada, we have an older and somewhat smaller rig and the Officer wanted to see what was there. He said so in so many words.

The one thing I make sure to do is remove my sunglasses while the Officer is looking at me. I'm useless without glasses and put my prescription glasses on before I move forward.

It has been 15 years since we drove up to AK and I did have a shotgun and paperwork. None of the male officers questioned me, a female officer did when we were entering CA from Hyder, but no search. One officer asked if I had any guns and I told him yes and that it was stored as the permit said, gun in a locked case and ammo in another cabinet. His reply was it wouldn't do much good if I needed it, my answer was "but is your law". He laughed and sent us on our way.

American BP, not always friendly but as someone said we all have bad days. I'm just happy they are there and doing their job.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

Mootpoint
Explorer
Explorer
obgraham wrote:
40 years of crossing, probably 15 times in the RV's. One time the inspector came on board. Looked in the fridge. "Have a nice day". Sometimes they act gruff -- so what, they're doing their job.

It's just not worth worrying about.

Ditto ๐Ÿ™‚
Nothing sucks more than that moment during an argument when you realize you're wrong.

atreis
Explorer
Explorer
Have your papers ready to hand over before you get to the gate (including papers for pets). Answer all questions asked politely and accurately. Don't answer questions that weren't asked. Keep in mind that the agents at the border are people too and sometimes have good/bad days, just like everyone else.

Should you leave time? YES! Why? Because you never know. It seems they pick people at random, although it's uncommon. (It's never happened to me, but has to my parents.) Also, leave more time for the crossing back into the US than for the crossing into Canada. In my experience the traffic back-ups for the the US side tend to be worse, although this could be related to the particular crossing point.
2021 Four Winds 26B on Chevy 4500

EEWally
Explorer
Explorer
I've seen them get a tad annoyed when asking us to take off our sun glasses so we make sure we take them off in advance.

Free Radical, Are you a chemist?
1997 Lance Squire 5000, 10-foot camper
2001 Dodge Ram, Cummins, Ext. Cab, 2WD
Our Trip Journal

Grey_Mountain
Explorer
Explorer
Been in and out for about 15 years. Searched once coming back by US customs, searched once going in by Canadians. (Small crossing in Maine, I think the two agents were bored.)
When we go to Canada, I keep a list of all my purchases. When we leave, I give the list to the agent. I also list all the fruits and vegetables on board. (We try to keep this at a minimum). Agents are surprised, but appreciative. Never had an issue.

GM
2006 Discovery 39S Tin Teepee
Honda CR-V Toad
Enrolled member of the Comanche Tribe
English Bride
Bichon Frise bear killers:
Lord Shonefeld von Reginald-Friese IV.
Lady Annabelle von Lichenstein-Friese III.