cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Seattle to Utah via Route 20, Oregon

nohurrynoworry
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all- We are anticipating a trip from Seattle to Utah. We could take Interstate 84 most of the way, but were thinking of going via Bend, Oregon, then Route 20 east from Bend to Ontario, Oregon and picking up the interstate from there. Does anyone have any feedback on this route (major grades, isolated, possible camping, etc). We have a 24' MH, no toad. Thanks!
10 REPLIES 10

amdriven2liv
Explorer
Explorer
There is a County RV park near Vale Oregon that is clean and nice. Bully Creek Campground. It is on a reservoir so odds are in September it could be low.

Bully Creek Campground.

2004 F350 6.0L 4x4 CC LB King Ranch, Scangauge II
2010 Mountaineer 324RLQ,

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I84 is actually one of the scenic routes across eastern Oregon. Between Pendelton and Ontario it crosses the Blues.

The area around the I84/82 junction is flat and barren, though Hermiston is a major agricultural center. It also gets flat and straight close to Ontario, with increasing traffic as it passes Boise.

Twin Falls is a nice stop off of I84. Idaho into Utah is a broad open upland, windy, without any settlements.

US97 climbs out of the Columbia valley in dry open country. It becomes more settled around Madras. South of Bend it crosses open Ponderosa Pine country.

US20 east of Bend crosses an open dry country (north side of Christmas Valley). At Burns you could drive south past birding lakes (and the recent wildlife refuge occupation) to Steens Mtn and beyond into Nevada. This one of the more scenic areas in SE Oregon, especially if you are a birder.

US26 stays in the valleys of John Day country, best known for is fossil bed monument.

OR31 takes a diagonal to US385 past volcanic features, bounded on one side by an escarptment, and salt lake on the other. This is called the Outback scenic byway. This part of Oregon is an extension of the basin-and-range region of Nevada.

OR140 is one of the more remote roads in the country. You might have problems finding gas between US395 (Lake City) and I80 in NV.

In September the higher roads in Utah should have fall colors, especially aspens.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Hwy 20 to Burns is butt ugly. Never been east of Burns on 20 but I can't imagine it being any better. If you have the time 26 is way nicer. It's about a half hour longer going 26.

nohurrynoworry
Explorer
Explorer
Headed out early/mid September. Eventually end up in Zion, giving four days from Olympia to Zion, should be enough to make it comfortable. Some good advice on this forum. Probably take Oregon 26 E and avoid Nevada altogether. Likely stay on interstate highways thru Utah to end up in Zion, but open to doing a back route if it's not too much longer.

ORbiker
Explorer
Explorer
Mark Robinson wrote:
Good feedback. Since I am not in a hurry, scenic route would be nice, so now thinking 26 or 31/140 route into Nevada. Thanks much, great forum.

When are you going?

26 or 31 would be the most relaxing when winter is gone.
Backpacker and tent camper all my life. Motorcycle trips with a tent too 1978 to Present. 2016 Grand Design 380TH as of 10-29-2015. Now a New 2018 374TH-R Solitude as of 3-16-19. 10-19-18-traded truck for a 2016 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Crew Cab 4x4 Long Box.

nohurrynoworry
Explorer
Explorer
Good feedback. Since I am not in a hurry, scenic route would be nice, so now thinking 26 or 31/140 route into Nevada. Thanks much, great forum.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
I answered in your other post on the 'other' forum along with some campground info. ๐Ÿ™‚ 20 or 26 are good roads.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
good road but high desert,lots of sage brush not much else bend to burns.
you might consider 26 it is a little curvy with a few small climbs but is much more scenic.

BendOrLarry
Explorer
Explorer
I live in Bend, have a 28 foot motor home, been that route on our way to Moab several times. Nothing to worry about. Very little camping opportunities between Bend and Ontario. There are a couple of rv parks in Burns, know nothing about them. IMHO you should avoid Nevada. Been on every roard there is in Nevada and they all suck. Going across southern Idaho is better, still boring but more services and you will get to Utah much faster. We go to Utah from Central Oregon almost every spring, and know all the routes.

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
20 is a good road, pretty flat most of the way with only one major climb between Burns and Ontario.
From Seatac and depending on what part of town your in, consider south on I5/I205 to I84. Follow the signs thru Gresham to US26 over Mt Hood, then 97 south to Bend. As an option, I5 to Salem, and 22 over the Cascades.
If you want to avoid lots of freeway, instead of 20, take 31 SE to Lakeview then 140 SE into NV. Really scenic trip, no freway until you hit I80.