cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Southern Colorado/Texas Panhandle Stops

youth4him
Explorer
Explorer
We're not bringing a camper with us this time, but en route to Florida via Houston (to pick up a friend), and looking for a decent place to stop for the night (hotel I suppose) between Pueblo, CO and Amarillo.

Amarillo is a bit too far for us (we don't mind 13 hours in the car), but Pueblo isn't far enough. That SE corner of CO seems a little barren though.

Is there any where to stop for the night? Any recommendations?
KD

Trip of a Lifetime Blog - 12000 Miles, 100 Days, 34 States, 4 Humans, 1 Mini Daschund...FUN!
2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali - 6.2L, 6-speed
13 REPLIES 13

youth4him
Explorer
Explorer
We have a running joke about Dumas. We actually named our homeschool Dumas (Davis Unified Mobile Academic School.)

I joke that my daughter will marry a guy named Dumas, so every time he comes over, I can say "hello dumbass."

So, we might need to divert through Dumas anyway! ;->
KD

Trip of a Lifetime Blog - 12000 Miles, 100 Days, 34 States, 4 Humans, 1 Mini Daschund...FUN!

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
US Hwy 50 runs east from Pueblo,Co to La Junta and Lamar. From Lamar you can take US Hwy 287 south to Amarillo.

I personally would take Raton Pass, but at Dalhart I like US 385 south to Vega,Tx (mm 36 on I-40). Very little traffic, avoids both slow drive through Dumas, and city streets in northern Amarillo. Adds about 8 miles, but a little less time.

youth4him
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks All, Raton looks like a good place. I don't see a Highway 50 at all on the map, so not sure how to divert with it.
KD

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
But as for us, we turn west at Walsenburg. And Raton Pass is not much of a climb.

This is also true for us. Forgot to mention it. For us, as for BB-Tex, that certainly settles the choice.

BTW, I think BB and I share on another RV forum. Montana??

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
byronlj wrote:
I don't know why everybody travels uphill to go over Raton pass when they can bypass it by taking highway 50 through Colorado. I grew up in La Junta, CO, so the reason for the surprise. Highway 50 is a very nice flat highway.
Dave

If you want to believe google maps, it is 15 miles shorter but 40 minutes longer taking 50.
But as for us, we turn west at Walsenburg. And Raton Pass is not much of a climb.

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
why everybody travels uphill to go over Raton pass

No, I can't answer this for everybody, and I can understand how others might choose a different route than I would. But I'll just comment on why we make the choice we do.

It is not the 28 miles longer than it would be by way of Lamar, CO. It is more that we look forward to Raton Pass. We're long tired of "flat" roads by the time we cross Texas--we live in the "far east." That has been true long before we started staying overnight at the top of Raton Pass at the Cedar Rail RV Park.

We enjoy both the ascent and the descent on I-25 and have never considered it a problem with our 34' fifth-wheel.

I offer this only as another point of view and to answer the question.

kgarrett9999
Explorer
Explorer
I usually grab one of the Hotel Coupon booklets at the Visitor centers or Dennys or ??? and use which ever has the cheapest rate available. I don't remember specifically which hotel I used in Raton, but I know I've done this before and do remember that it was a nice place.

byronlj
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know why everybody travels uphill to go over Raton pass when they can bypass it by taking highway 50 through Colorado. I grew up in La Junta, CO, so the reason for the surprise. Highway 50 is a very nice flat highway.
Dave
byronlj
2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3800RL

DesertHawk
Explorer
Explorer
In 2005, we spend an overnight in a hotel in Raton on our way up to Loveland, CO on our way up to pickup our Scamp. Couldn't remember the name, but looking at the ones there, I believe it must be called Americas Best Value Inn Raton Sands now. Seems it had another name back then, but it seems to be in the same spot on the map.

It was clean & comfortable. No complains at all.
:CDesertHawk- Las Cruces, NM USA
*2015 Lance 1985~Casita de Campo~23' 4" Tongue to Bumper, Dinette Slide
160 watt Solar Panel/GoPower! Solar Controller
*2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab
Long Bed with A.R.E. Molded Fiberglass Topper
*Previously~ 2005 16' Scamp

youth4him
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! That's the info I was looking for. The map is a little sparse, so I wasn't sure what's out there.
KD

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Although we are normally in the RV we did stay at the HI Express in Raton a few years ago and it was fine. There are several others there also. Check Expedia.com or Travelocity.com for ratings.
Clayton, NM and Dalhart, TX both have several hotels you might check also if you want to drive a little farther than Raton.

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Holiday Inn Express in Raton was nice last August. An older facility but in first class shape and clean.

Clayton looked OK, nothing special.

Dumas Texas has grown with several of the major chains with new facilities in town.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

“Not all who wander are lost.”
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Plenty of good motels at either Trinidad, CO or Raton, NM. I can't give any specific recommendations as we are always in our RV. We have stayed several years ago at a Best Western in Trinidad. I know there are several good choices. Two hours further on would be Clayton, NM. There are motels there, though we have never stayed.