cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

terrain

sweetnoni
Explorer
Explorer
What's the terrain like from Mt. Shasta, CA to Susanville, CA?
What is the weather like in late September also? thanks
4 REPLIES 4

dave54
Nomad
Nomad
There is one grade of any note, for about a mile - on 44 east of the town of Old Station. The highway climbs up the Hat Creek Rim. Right at the top of the grade is a short paved spur to a scenic overlook with interpretive signs explaining the volcanic geology. The rest of the road is mostly flat to very gentle rolling, and mostly straight with a few gentle curves.

September is usually warm and sunny, with cool nights. Although snow can occur, it is not common.

The forest is well roaded, with many unpaved roads leaving the highway in to the woods. Lots of boondocking opportunities if you are looking for a place to spend the night. Drive down one of the side roads until you are out of sight and sound of the highway.

There are no services between Old Station and Susanville. One large developed rest area with RV lanes about halfway, at the Bogard Ranger Station.

I live there (Lake Almanor area). If you want more specifics PM me.
=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=
So many campsites, so little time...
~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

paulj
Explorer II
Explorer II
Google Maps with terrain mode turned on. Zoom in for more detail
https://maps.google.com/?ll=40.830437,-121.442871&spn=1.126377,2.353821&t=p&z=9

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
We typically take that road twice a year (May/Oct) in our mh/toad....never a problem at all. The terrain is mostly mountains with pine forests. Highway is very good with only a few curves that you need to slow way down on. No heavy grades to pull or go down to speak of. Traffic is minimal...sure beats going down I-5.

Ron

PS.. you know it probably would be better if you were a little more descriptive in you title and might get a lot more people to take a look at your post.
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

ramyankee
Explorer
Explorer
Others will come on to verify, but it would be Hwy 89 East through McCloud for about 80 miles and then to Hwy 44 for maybe 50 miles to Hwy 36 and East (left) to Susanville.....There is nothing out of the ordinary as for terrain. There is no way to figure September weather but generally never any problems. It is a nice drive in my opinion. Probably 140 miles total if my memory is correct.
Rick and Patti ๐Ÿ™‚
2 Proud Christian CONSERVATIVES ๐Ÿ™‚
2002 Chevy Silverado, 8.1, Crew, LB, 3.73, 4X4
2020 Mesa Ridge 291rls
Now living in North Idaho (formerly Northeastern California) ... but the heart is with MONTANA STATE UNIVERSITY