cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tulsa to Gulf Shores

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
Has anyone driven from Tulsa to Gulf Shores? The route has me going 40 to Little Rock then down through Arkansas and Mississippi. I'm thinking about staying on 40 to Memphis then picking up I55 South. It show around 45 miles further but only 25 minutes slower. I'm pulling a 37.5ft TT, so I would rather not fight a lot of 2 lane roads if possible.

Thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
My concern is I will be traveling with a 4 year old. I don't mind the scenic road at all, but the first day will be a 450-500 mile day. We can only keep a 4 year old occupied for so long. I know some will say that's too far, but with work and schedules you do what you have to do.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Too many 2 lane roads?? lol. I know people that will get on the expressway to go a mile to the next exit instead of just driving a main road that parallels it. I am of the school of if I can avoid the expressway I will. A lot less bone head in a rush idiots to deal with I think.

BillMFl
Explorer
Explorer
I can vouch for I49 from Shreveport to I10. Good route. I was heading to Dallas so I don't know the best way from Tulsa. Be sure to take I12 past New Orleans and reconnect with I10 after passing NO. Some uneven pavement on sections of I12 but I just slow down a little..
Order is illusion. Chaos is reality. But right or wrong I'm still the captain. 🙂

Vette_Racer
Explorer
Explorer
We take the Indian Nation turnpike South down through Paris, then 271 and a few other backroads to Shreveport, then South on I49 to I10. It is the best road we have found going to Florida that didn't beat us to death. I10 Is a little rough outside of Lafayette, LA but after that I10 is good. Been through Memphis, tried Nashville, down through Jackson, nothing worked as well.
KE5NCP
2016 Ram CC Dually, 2011 HitchHiker 349 RSB DA, 2018 Wrangler unlimited Rubicon

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
RoyF wrote:
I would avoid Memphis and go south out of Little Rock. It's interstate to Pine Bluff, and then US 65 does not have heavy traffic on the way to I-20. We went that way to Gulf Shores in 2014.

Thank you!! This was the route I planned to take, but was told that route had too many 2 lane roads. Thank you again.

edm3rd
Explorer
Explorer
If you prefer driving through Memphis, take the I-55 bridge NOT the I-40. Avoid driving through at either morning or evening rush hour.

Personally I would take the 2 lane from Little Rock, very light traffic compared to I-40 between LR and Memphis.

RoyF
Explorer
Explorer
I would avoid Memphis and go south out of Little Rock. It's interstate to Pine Bluff, and then US 65 does not have heavy traffic on the way to I-20. We went that way to Gulf Shores in 2014.

Tom_Barb
Explorer
Explorer
Dcarner wrote:
Has anyone driven from Tulsa to Gulf Shores? The route has me going 40 to Little Rock then down through Arkansas and Mississippi. I'm thinking about staying on 40 to Memphis then picking up I55 South. It show around 45 miles further but only 25 minutes slower. I'm pulling a 37.5ft TT, so I would rather not fight a lot of 2 lane roads if possible.

Thanks in advance.

We just did the reverse, we came from Gulfport, to Greenville via secondary roads, thru Jackson, Hattiesburg and crossed the river mostly on route 49. nice drive, good roads. see the country, not the freeway. 🙂
2000 Newmar mountain aire 4081 DP, ISC/350 Allison 6 speed, Wrangler JL toad.