cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tunnels from Cody to east entrance YNP and another question!

CruizinKim
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know the height of the tunnels on the Cody to Yellowstone drive?
Also, we're overnighting at Devils Tower and while the mileage is under 400 miles, how long do you think it would take pulling our 32' TT to Fishing Bridge? We're coming from the Cincinnati area and I've given us 3-1/2 days of travel each way and wondering if I should rethink our overnights.

Thanks!

Kim
12 REPLIES 12

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
There is diesel at every stop in the park. When I was there last week it was running 2.69/gal

Also I just went from Dayton OH to fishing bridge. We stopped at Custer State Park for 6 days before heading into Yellowstone, so I can't really help you with stops on the way out, but I will say it's a solid 9-10hrs to Yellowstone from Rapid City SD. Highway 16 isn't nearly as bad as everyone says. The east entrance isn't bad at all, the tunnels are plenty big for anything you want to pull through it. From the east entrance it is 53 miles to Fishing Bridge at 45mph..... Plan on 2hrs from Cody to Fishing Bridge.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The West is diesel country - think ranches. ๐Ÿ™‚ Many people live in the West. You're not going to a remote area. We've never had an issue finding diesel as we drive.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

johntank
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
Not sure how it is today, but when I was there last in 2005, diesel at Fishing Bridge was only 10 cents more than in Cody.

Diesel is available in West Yellowstone and Garner Mt. both just outside the gates Garner to the north and West Yellowstone to the west. Don't remember the prices its been a few years.

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
Not sure how it is today, but when I was there last in 2005, diesel at Fishing Bridge was only 10 cents more than in Cody.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

CruizinKim
Explorer
Explorer
Hubby meant filling it up before we enter park to avoid paying the park prices and if there is even enough diesel availability inside the park. We have a full week there in YNP and will be doing a lot of driving.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Being a diesel pickup truck owner, there's plenty of diesel along the way. Don't even bother with the extra tank. Glad to hear that you have at least two drivers that you feel good about!
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

CruizinKim
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for their quick responses and advice! We are traveling in early August and are planning on leaving between 10pm Aug 3 and midnight Aug 4 and I've set our arrival to Fishing Bridge sometime on Aug 7. I am taking first shift and will be able to sleep the day away in order to be road ready. We'll have 3 drivers although I'm a bit nervous having my 20 yr old take the wheel even though he drives our stock trailers. Ha! My husband is very experienced with driving semi's and such and does a lot of long haul driving. I will have him drive that stretch from Cody to YNP. We have a diesel truck pulling the TT and my husband had suggested putting the filled diesel tank in the bed because we'd have the room. Anyone know if there's any restrictions to doing that? We know diesel will be expensive but we want to make sure we have plenty. We are also having the truck serviced and checked out before leaving. We've already checked the camper and packed wheel bearings, 4 new tires, and checked brakes and all is good. I'm wondering if we should just drive and find a campground along the way for each night. Possibly we could overnight in Cody because Fishing Bridge check in is anytime after 11:00 am. We live north of Cincinnati and our actual address shows 1636.5 miles to Fishing Bridge and 1286 miles to Devil's Tower. Looks like I need to do some more planning.

2gypsies1
Explorer II
Explorer II
From Buffalo, Wyoming, Hwy 16 is the best route for RVers heading to Cody and Yellowstone.

No issue for the tunnel. RVers drive it constantly.

I would also advise allowing more time for this trip especially when getting off the interstates and also if you have kids in the vehicle. That's a long boring time to sit. Sure hope there's more than one driver. It makes it so much easier.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
We've taken this route several times with the most current being last September. We were coming from Greybull, so we spent a couple of nights at Buffalo Bill Cody State Park, then drove into the park through the East Entrance. It's really nothing to be concerned about. The tunnels are no problem. Our FW is 13' 5" (if I remember correctly. We have a label taped to the inside of the window on the driver's side as a reminder, including the rear height for another point of reference), but as one poster here said, semis drive that route delivering food to Yellowstone NP. You do have to take it slow though heading into the park due to traffic and speed limits and more so in the park as they speed limit is strictly enforced. The roads are excellent, plenty of shoulder and just inside the gate is a wide pull over with a restroom in case you have to stop, which is what we did. The KOA in Greybull is really nice as is the one in Cody, but we've only seen it driving by. You may want to adjust your stops so that you head into the park from Greybull, hence early in the day. If you try to make it all the way from Devil's Tower, you'll be arriving late afternoon. According to MapQuest, Cincinnati to Yellowstone is a little over 27 hours. You may want to allow 4 days instead and break it up that way. I know that towing is tiring and can be stressful. My husband and I switch off driving when we have a deadline to meet, so I know it can be tiring. Take your time so that you enjoy the trip and if possible switch drivers.

Also, you didn't mention when you were going to Yellowstone. The time of year makes a big difference. For us, we always travel in September. Less crowds and it allows us the flexibility of changing our minds mid trip and not worrying about getting a place to stay. When we went to Buffalo Bill Cody last September, we just drove in, no reservation and a lot of spots were empty, so we had our pick of hook ups or not.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Google Maps shows Cincinnati to Fishing Bridge as 1660 miles. At 3.5 consecutive days, that's an average of about 470 miles per day on unfamiliar roads, which I would find a fairly exhausting stretch (even in our small Class C, not towing.) Do you have more than one driver?

As others noted, you can't really count on driving at the posted speed limit when estimating RV travel time. You also might want to factor in potential delays for road construction and lane closures due to accidents. If you add in stops for fuel, food, bathroom, you are looking at a run of 10-hour driving days even if you have all smooth sailing.

Can you add one more travel day in each direction? It would still be a marathon to get there, but closer to being feasible.

Fishing Bridge makes a good base inside the park. Have a great time!

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
In 2005 we visited Yellowstone with our 35' FW 12k pulling with diesel which had no problems with the Big Horns. We left Bridge Bay early in the morning and was at the East Entrance waiting on the construction at 8am. We stopped in Cody to top off the tank and restock with groceries. Then headed over to Buffalo via Hwy 16. We did make a couple of quick stops to take in some scenery, but not many and none for long. We arrived at the Buffalo KOA after 250 mils about 5pm. We left there before 8am and made Devil's Tower with enough time to walk around the base before we had lunch about 12.

From Ten Sleep to Buffalo is 60 miles and you can figure an average of maybe 30 mph over that section. You have to go just as slow down as up because you need lower gear for engine braking and the couple of hair pin turn.

So it is doable in a single day, but you would have to drop out most of your stops and it would be a very longggggggggg day and not one most folks would want to do.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
400 miles is a long day when many of those miles will be on toads that twist and turn. While 400 miles is not bad for a day of driving a interstate, but add some 40 MPH curves, and poor gas mileage in the mountains, requiring another stop for gas, and you will not average 50 miles per hour anymore.

The tunnel is very large, it will handle the 18 wheelers that deliver food to the park. You might not like the pass it goes over much though. From what I recall, the tunnel is right next to a water reservoir, and that is why the tunnel was built.

Take your time, enjoy the drive, and stop at a few scenic overlooks. You might not make it that way again for many years.

You can check the elevations by looking at the area on google.maps Then click Terrain. Zoom in or out far enough that you start to get the elevation lines. You can click on one city, say near the interstate, then click on other cities, and the lake you will pass, to get an idea of the elevation changes. You will want to top off the gas tank before getting to close to the park. Fuel trucked in is expensive, and it is even more expensive in the park boundary, where a fuel spill would be extremely expensive, thus very high insurance costs to bring in fuel. .

Have fun on your trip! I prefer the north entrance, it is not as steep, but requires driving on I-90 all the way to Livingston, then south into the park. Not the ideal way to go when your destination is Fishing Bridge.

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com