Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A level site...

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
According to the State of Michigan, this is a level camp site:

I ran out of blocks and various other leveling aids. Got it close enough for the weekend. Will need to cut down another 2x10 into more planks I guess.

Anyone want to guess where this is...? it's a Michigan State Park
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed
21 REPLIES 21

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Can't tell from the picture. If I pull into a site like that I'll get out the level and roll around and try to find the most level spot. Then level the best I can without heroic means. If I like the campground but the site wasn't level I'd scout for better sites, and try for a transfer. If none available, I'd make note of level sites for future visits. If the site is billed as level, but is significantly out of level, I'd complain to the front office (or escalate) and attempt to get the description changed. OTOH I would not expect any site to be absolutely perfectly level- a leveling block or two isn't going to hurt anything.

Looks like a pretty site and extra effort can be worth it for a pretty site.

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
For a rustic campground, I'd say that's pretty level. Gorgeous location, I hope to make it up to the Great Lakes again sometime with my family. We passed through the area when I was camping with my family as a young teenager, but I don't remember it.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

eDUBz
Explorer
Explorer
Looks good to me.
LBZ - Stealth TH - RZR 900 4 - Honda 450X - Paddleboarder - Fisherman - Kayaker

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
The level-ness is rustic, too! ๐Ÿ˜‰ I intended to camp at Fisherman's Island last summer but ended up staying more to the east side instead.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
This is one of the lake front pull-through sites at Fisherman's Island SP, in Charlevoix, in the lower peninsula. Lake Michigan is about 50 feet from my door. Last night's sunset was fantastic, as was the sunrise. \

There's only a handful of lake side sites, luckily I'm early enough in the season that I could use one without reservation ๐Ÿ™‚

The site is shaped like a ) and constructed on the side of a berm that's supporting the main road for the park... it's a level as they can make it, without further encroaching on the lake, or moving the road.

Wow! When we were at Fisherman's Island many years ago the sites were dirt. They've been improved! Friends live in Charlevoix so we've visited them and stayed at Fisherman's. It's considered a 'rustic' state park.

It's still rustic, there's no payment except the first mile or so of the main road, everything else is dirt. Water comes from a pitcher pump, and there's no modern bathhouse ๐Ÿ™‚

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree wrote:
This is one of the lake front pull-through sites at Fisherman's Island SP, in Charlevoix, in the lower peninsula. Lake Michigan is about 50 feet from my door. Last night's sunset was fantastic, as was the sunrise. \

There's only a handful of lake side sites, luckily I'm early enough in the season that I could use one without reservation ๐Ÿ™‚

The site is shaped like a ) and constructed on the side of a berm that's supporting the main road for the park... it's a level as they can make it, without further encroaching on the lake, or moving the road.

Wow! When we were at Fisherman's Island many years ago the sites were dirt. They've been improved! Friends live in Charlevoix so we've visited them and stayed at Fisherman's. It's considered a 'rustic' state park.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, the setting makes up for it. Love that area. Thanks for the information; it's going on my list!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
I would have dug a big hole for that one tire.

brirene
Explorer
Explorer
GordonThree, I hope you'll come back and tell us where this actually is, since no one seems to have any guesses. As to the site, not great, but I've had worse. The setting may make up for it, and I've got a feeling there's water not too far from your steps. I know it ain't Grand Haven!
Jayco Designer 30 RKS Medallion pkg, Trail Air pin
'05 F350 6.0 PSD CC 4x4 DRW LB B&W Companion, Edge Insight

โ€œCertainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights; it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like you might need your step ladder to get in the camper! :B

Small bright side to this, if you get a heavy rain storm no worries about your site being under water.

Post a review, help others in the camping community, RV Park Reviews

Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe "level site" means that it's a location for you to stow a level. If you had asked for a "travel trailer site," that one may be flatter.

On the other hand, I could be full of it.

is_it_friday_ye
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone want to guess where this is...? it's a Michigan State Park

Somewhere just over the bridge? It doesn't look like one we've been to yet.
2007 Dodge Ram 3500 Cummins SRW, Airlift airbags, Bilstein shocks, Smarty Jr., stainless turbo back exhaust, B&W Patriot 18K

2015 Grand Design Momentum 328M, disc brakes, Progressive Industries 50 amp EMS

lovemytt
Explorer
Explorer
I feel so much better! I parked the trailer a night ago and after wigglying to find the best spot I settled - I'm off both directions. I'm bringing my boards next time! We will survive the weekend.
2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Hemi Engine
2012 R-Vision Crossover 200