cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta is soon. Any tips or comments?

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
We are very excited to attend the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta for the first time.

I just wanted to ask any of you if you had any tips, suggestions, or comments relating to the Fiesta. Any, "don't miss" events? Anything we should be sure to bring? Anything to avoid or watch out for?
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`
21 REPLIES 21

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Just to update everyone, I went with a simple dryer vent and it's working great. It only cost about $12.00 at the hardware store. I already had the lantern hanger.

`

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
This could be helpful for folks that haven't attended prior (or who didn't know) -

Don R.
'04 42' Haulmark Motor Coach - 450hp/1650tq / 12 spd SmartShift
'12 Jeep Wrangler Sport (manual trans)
'17 Platinum F350 (6.7L, SRW, CC, Long bed, 4x4)

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Radio Station KKOB - (770 AM) is the official radio station of the Albuquerque International Balloon Fiesta.
KKOB has an FM side but I'm not sure if they broadcast from the field 94.5 FM.

I find having a bookmark on my smart phone for the The Daily Event Schedule is helpful.

TV Station KOAT (ABC Channel 7 / 7.1) has a iPhone App AND an Android App that provides, news, weather & schedule

Also KOB TV (NBC Channel 4 / 4.1) also broadcasts from the site. TV station KRQE (FOX Channel 13 / 13.1) provides local coverage too.

Weather looks good (no rain) - Winds are generally calm enough in the morning for launch,
HOWEVER forecasted winds could be a factor, (maximum launch wind is 10 knots / 11.5 mph).

Don R.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:
Thanks for the tips. We will be your neighbors in VIP. Hopefully, we'll see you there. Are you doing the Gondola Club? They sold out and I forgot to book it.

last year we took a small (2kw) portable generator, we were there for 5 days and didn't want to run the large (QD10k) just to charge recover batteries during the day....i ran the Diesel Generator when / if we needed more than 2kwatts (which was almost never).

I think we MAY have run the air conditioner one afternoon (nap time), the weather is spectacular.
Im not sure if ill take the small portable 2kw next week.

We didn't do the gondola club - its seemed like a waste & unnecessary expense, given where we're located...VIP East has better viewing IMO than presidents (presidents has a fence & walking path in front of them)....we literally walked out of the coach (coffee etc in hand) sat down and enjoy the view.

there is a short walking path down to the launch field (its paved) - so getting to the field from VIP East (or presidents) is easy.

In the mornings the field its a SEA of people....iirc 250k folks bussed in at 4a and on the field....theyre gone by 11a, so walking down and visiting vendors etc is like having the place to yourself.

the Fireworks show, from VIP East (in a fold up chair, with your beverage) can't be beat....

VIP East doesnt permit parking on the front row...so theres plenty of room for observation -
Heres a view of the seating (looking back to the VIP East RV Parking)

View of the balloons in the morning from our fold up chairs (VIP East RV / Bluff)...its a SEA of people -

Nightly (weekend) Fireworks -

Stop by & say hello - were pretty easy to spot (Texas Flag & Matching White Jeep)

Don R.

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
bshpilot wrote:
holstein13 wrote:
We are very excited to attend the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta for the first time.

I just wanted to ask any of you if you had any tips, suggestions, or comments relating to the Fiesta. Any, "don't miss" events? Anything we should be sure to bring? Anything to avoid or watch out for?
We attended last year & are attending again next week.

which location/ lot are you in?

FIRST & MOST IMPORTANT - bring a GenTuri, PLEASE!
Amazon - GenTuri

bring a camera, and cell phone charger - you'll need to charge even the best smartphone by breakfast if youre taking photos / posting photos w/ your smartphone!

if VIP East, bring a chair....everyone leaves their chair on the bluff....like reserved seating ๐Ÿ˜‰
be certain to get up early to watch the dawn patrol - were usually on the bluff w/ our coffee or bloody mary by 5a....by 10a things are dying down or were just suffering from sensory overload - and we head back to the coach for breakfast.

It all starts up again in the evening by 4 or 5p and there is always a fantastic and VERY lengthy and sophisticated fireworks show in the evening.

IMO vip east lot is the deal, no water or electric but then i can't use $85 worth of fuel and water per day (presidents lot) anyway.

Presidents lot has the front 2 rows consumed by a local rv rental company - so don't expect to get front row parking for your extra 85 bucks per night (over the vip east lot.
Thanks for the tips. We will be your neighbors in VIP. Hopefully, we'll see you there. Are you doing the Gondola Club? They sold out and I forgot to book it.
`

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
A Gen-turi is for your neighbor so they do not eat your exhaust. Hopefully the rig to your right will have one too as you will be parked like sardines. I carry a metal 90 degree sweep (picture in my link/post above) that I have loaned to a inconsiderate neighbor that is blowing their exhaust towards me when parked close together. I also have a sweep that I put on my AquaHot to turn it's exhaust upwards and away from my neighbor. One that size (2"ID) is harder to find.

I did find ......this one on Ebay. Doubt a PVC one would not melt but for a couple $ worth a try.

FWIW -

don't waste your time w/ PVC.....PVC will absolutely melt - i even tried to DIY my own GenTuri and couldn't do it, every bit of PVC i tried melted, no matter how large the air gap.

Electrical conduit (bent pipe) with a union works for the exhaust tip connection but again a PVC stack will melt.

pictures of my failed attempt -

Don R.

bshpilot
Explorer
Explorer
holstein13 wrote:

We attended last year & are attending again next week.

which location/ lot are you in?

FIRST & MOST IMPORTANT - bring a GenTuri, PLEASE!
Amazon - GenTuri

bring a camera, and cell phone charger - you'll need to charge even the best smartphone by breakfast if youre taking photos / posting photos w/ your smartphone!

if VIP East, bring a chair....everyone leaves their chair on the bluff....like reserved seating ๐Ÿ˜‰
be certain to get up early to watch the dawn patrol - were usually on the bluff w/ our coffee or bloody mary by 5a....by 10a things are dying down or were just suffering from sensory overload - and we head back to the coach for breakfast.

It all starts up again in the evening by 4 or 5p and there is always a fantastic and VERY lengthy and sophisticated fireworks show in the evening.

IMO vip east lot is the deal, no water or electric but then i can't use $85 worth of fuel and water per day (presidents lot) anyway.

Presidents lot has the front 2 rows consumed by a local rv rental company - so don't expect to get front row parking for your extra 85 bucks per night (over the vip east lot.
Don R.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anything to redirect exhaust is a help. The systems to carry exhaust above the roof are great.

Back in the days before AC was in every car in Bermuda we would ride around with hatchbacks open. Trouble is, our own exhaust would get sucked right back into the car. The solution was simple. A piece of vehicle water hose elbow to direct the exhaust to the ground or side. Same would held with a genny exhaust but direct it up. Not as good as a top discharge but much better than blasting CO at your neighbour.

Of course keeping genny run time to a minimum makes for good neighbour relations too.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
Another option is 10 feet of 3 inch flexible metal dryer vent pipe that you just lay on the ground and put over the end of the generator exhaust and route it out to the front of the motorhome. You could use it on your A Hot too and it will go back to it's 3' length for storage.
I really love this suggestion. I'd hate to spend all that money on the gen-turi for a one-shot event. Sounds like it's easier to setup as well.
`

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Done it twice. Might make it #3 next year.

The busiest time for camping is the first weekend. 1st time we did it with an owners group. 2nd time we did it we just showed up on the first Monday. No reservations at the huge dry camping area. No problems. Lots of spaces. Some prime right near the gate.

Believe the dry camping area is the best & not because of price. Given the usual wind currents, from the dry area you watch them come up over the field, come towards you, if 'the box' is working they rise up above you & go back towards the field. There is a LZ right in the middle of the dry camping area. You might find yourself as part of the impromtpu ground crew bringing balloons to ground.

We had one land right behind us, change passengers & take off again.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

trikepilot
Explorer
Explorer
The balloons fly or don't fly depending on the weather. Plan for several days of no flying. Get on a chase crew. Half of the fun is the night glows and fireworks. It is best to be camped at the field rather than dealing with the insane traffic. Get on a chase crew. The camping is rally style so you won't be putting out the rug and chairs. You might barely have room to get the slides out. Get on a chase crew. The balloons start with a dawn patrol and a pilot's meeting every morning. This happens in the dark and it is very cold too. Not just anyone can observe this. Get on a chase crew. Once the sun comes up, there is nothing like watching 600 balloons inflate around you and launch in waves.

If I haven't mentioned it already, being on a chase crew and racing around the city in the back of a truck or van trying to arrive at the balloon's touchdown point to secure the gondola and envelope is really exciting too.
1995 Jamboree Sport, towing a 2005 Ford Ranger, carrying a 2014 KTM 500EXC and a canoe

timandsusan
Explorer
Explorer
We visited Balloon Fiesta about 3 years ago but stayed in Santa Fe. We just went down for the day. Worked for us. I am not too excited about the tight camping at Fiesta. Also about 6 years previously the monsoon rains and storms washed out the first 6 days. So, just come prepared for any kind of weather and enjoy as much as you want. If you go, the aspens at Santa Fe may change colors about that time. We visit the Abq and SF area annually and enjoy it all.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Another option is 10 feet of 3 inch flexible metal dryer vent pipe that you just lay on the ground and put over the end of the generator exhaust and route it out to the front of the motorhome. You could use it on your A Hot too and it will go back to it's 3' length for storage.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
A Gen-turi is for your neighbor so they do not eat your exhaust. Hopefully the rig to your right will have one too as you will be parked like sardines. I carry a metal 90 degree sweep (picture in my link/post above) that I have loaned to a inconsiderate neighbor that is blowing their exhaust towards me when parked close together. I also have a sweep that I put on my AquaHot to turn it's exhaust upwards and away from my neighbor. One that size (2"ID) is harder to find.
Thanks Ivy, I've added this to my Amazon list and will measure everything tomorrow to order. Maybe I should get two of them. One for me and one for my temporary neighbor.
`