cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Anyone camp at Fairview Campground in Kernville?

SmittysRV
Explorer
Explorer
We are planning on heading out there this weekend. I am coming from the south, LA area and was also wondering what the best route would be. I have a 40' toy hauler 5th wheel and the 178 from the west look pretty curvy and tight.

Anyone with insight on this campsite as to things to bring, not to bring, things to do and so on and so forth would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!! Smitty
14 REPLIES 14

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
thanks for the trip report. Glad you had a good time. I pretty much grew up there with the McNally grandkids - my parents owned a mining claim on Packsaddle Trail (completely gone now - sigh....) Roads End was a great place in the 60's (that's all gone now too.....)
Rusty & Cheryl
2011 F250 2WD 6.2L Gasser
2008 Weekend Warrior FB2100
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

SmittysRV
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again for all the replies. We ended up having a great time at Fairview Camp Ground. We were able to fit in Camp spot 21. There was no way we could fit in the 40' pull threw spots. 21 is a back in spot and it barely worked. And to get out of the Camp Ground I had to back all the way out. There was no way I could make the turn toward the end of the Lower circle to get out. It wasn't really that bad and ended up working out good. We will still go back as long as we could get spot 21 or maybe 22. Those are the only spots I saw on the south circle that will accommodate 40' + 5th wheel. The water level was high enough to go tubing and there was plenty of water bibs around to fill the trailers fresh water. Peter the host was very friendly and accommodating too! We didn't get to try the Famous 40oz Porter House at McNally's but their lunch burgers were awesome!!! The bar there makes some good drinks also We also did the drive to the Trail of 100 Giants. The kids had a blast there!! As far as the drive, we opted to come in the from the east and took the 405N to the 5N to the 14N to the 178W up over Walker Pass into Isabella. Not a bad drive and the pull up the Walker pass wasn't as bad as I thought. Going west from the 14 was a pretty good tug but coming up over the pass from the west wasn't that bad at all. Gotta watch that down grade speed though. Overall it was a great trip, thx again for all the info!!!

JohnG3
Explorer
Explorer
We usually go to Kernville from the Central Coast via 58 to Commanche to 178. After nearly 10 years of going that way if you look far enough ahead to know who's coming down the canyon it gets to be not so bad. First time it was a bit concerning.

It was several months ago but we came over Walker Pass with our 38' 5th wheel. Much less streeful as the road is wide and turns are well marked and your view of upcoming curves is generally good. As was mentioned before the downgrade side is long but no issue if you have engine braking.
John and Elaine. Furry ones, Bubba, Buddy, Barney and Miss Chevious
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40 SP
Know guns, know safety, know peace. No guns, no safety, no peace.

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
The grade from Hwy 14 to the top of Walker's pass is mostly 4% until a couple of miles from the top where it gets to 6%. About a 1/2 mile from the top, it is 7%. Immediately over the top, there is a 7% downgrade with a 20mph horseshoe curve about 1/2 mile down. Within a mile from the top, the grade evens out to about a 4% for quite a few miles and a couple of curves that will require you to slow to about 25. Other than that, it's smooth sailing and easily done with your rig.

Sierra Way also has a few curves that require your constant attention. Just watch the speed signs and you'll be ok.

Yes, Fairview has water for you.

The water level of the lake is as low as I've ever seen it in over 50 years. The river is flowing, but not near what it normally is. Haven't heard about the fishing and I would think the river is too low to do any tubing or such.

You can go on up to Johnsondale, Sherman's Peak area, or even on over to the west side of the Sierras....all from this area. Have a good time and be safe.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
nuckledragger wrote:
One other questions about Fairview....are you able to fill fresh water tanks at the campground? Do they have a faucet? Is there any where in kernville or Lake Isabella to fill fresh water tanks for my TT? Trying to avoid towing full tanks up there if I can.

According to the Recreation.gov website,

Within Facility:
Campfire Rings
Drinking Water
Host
Pets Allowed
Vault Toilets
Water
Rusty & Cheryl
"Common sense is in spite of, not the result of, education" - Victor Hugo (1802-1885)

nuckledragger
Explorer
Explorer
One other questions about Fairview....are you able to fill fresh water tanks at the campground? Do they have a faucet? Is there any where in kernville or Lake Isabella to fill fresh water tanks for my TT? Trying to avoid towing full tanks up there if I can.

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
Come in via Walker Pass. It will be pretty hot there. River will be refreshing-and if you want to take a day trip there are several roads to much higher elevations fairy close by. Sherman Pass road gets to 9200 ft.

Camorhino
Explorer
Explorer
There are a couple of corners on the west side of Walkers Pass that you'll want to watch your speed, then when you turn off on Sierra Way heading towards Kernville there is one long straight downgrade that you'll want to watch your speed about a mile or 3 north of the 178. You'll pass a couple of homes at the top of the downgrade.

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
SmittysRV wrote:
Thx a lot for the great info here. How bad is the grade on the 178 from the 14? Similar to say the Grapevine or Cajon Pass on the 15? My 5er is pretty heavy and not fun climbing long steep grades. Thx again all!!!!

Not nearly as long as either the Southbound Grapevine, or the Northbound Cajon pass. The steep part is only about 2 miles long, if that.
Rusty & Cheryl

SmittysRV
Explorer
Explorer
Thx a lot for the great info here. How bad is the grade on the 178 from the 14? Similar to say the Grapevine or Cajon Pass on the 15? My 5er is pretty heavy and not fun climbing long steep grades. Thx again all!!!!

SuburbanHauler3
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
I think your best bet would be to come up Hwy 14 to the 178. You'll have to go over Walker's Pass (about a 7% grade close to the top) and then down into Kern Valley. Once down in Weldon, take the right turn to Kernville.

Much better than trying to come up 178 out of Bakersfield through Kern Canyon.

Ron

x2

This is the way I do it when heading up to the Kern.
2004 2500 Suburban LT 4x4, 6.0l 4.10's
1998 Fleetwood Terry 26A
There's 5 of us and we all ride.
KJ6RST

SAR_Tracker
Explorer
Explorer
Fairview is right on the river, so fishing and swimming will be good, provided the water is high enough. Not much in the way of trees for shade, and no hookups unless things have changed. Agree that 178 from Bakenfield is tight and curvy. 178 from the East (Hwy 14) is the way we always went from San Diego. Pretty good grade up and over Walker Pass, but once you get past the 1st couple of turns on the west side of the pass, you're golden.

Last gas at a reasonable price is at James Store (Sierra Gateway) or at Primo's across the street. You can get anything you forgot at this store. Mtn Hwy 99 follows the river, so it's pretty twisty, but is a good road.

Fairview has a small store for ice, bait, canned goods, etc. McNalleys is famous for it's steaks. The hamburgers at the stand next to the campground are good to.

A day trip up the river to the Giant Sequoias is recommended. Take rain gear, as frequent thunderstorms in the afternoon pop up.

Winds in the morning are usually "down canyon" and "up canyon" in the afternoon. Don't leave a tarp or awning up unattended or you'll lose it.

Kern river flow rates
Fishing reports
Rusty & Cheryl

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
I think your best bet would be to come up Hwy 14 to the 178. You'll have to go over Walker's Pass (about a 7% grade close to the top) and then down into Kern Valley. Once down in Weldon, take the right turn to Kernville.

Much better than trying to come up 178 out of Bakersfield through Kern Canyon.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

SmittysRV
Explorer
Explorer
Guess I should have mentioned that this is Kernville California. Thx!