cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black Canyon of the Gunnison NM in CO

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have not seen much discussion of the Black Canyon here on the forum.

We visited both sides of the park. The south side is more developed but is distinctly RV unfriendly. The is just about no parking that will take anything but a smaller Class C or a Class B. Let me clarify that, there is no parking at least up to the visitor center. We didn't go much past that this trip because we had already been there a couple times. The north side is much more photogenic, few people, and we just parked in the roadway since we only saw one other vehicle when we were there.

and a few more here:

Gallery
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
7 REPLIES 7

pconroy328
Explorer
Explorer
agesilaus wrote:
I have not seen much discussion of the Black Canyon here on the forum.

We visited both sides of the park. The south side is more developed but is distinctly RV unfriendly.

Well we were in a small Class C so perhaps I didn't notice. But I do recall seeing a few Class A's in the lot at High Point.

I think this park is often overlooked but shouldn't be. We've done this one a few times and it still is amazing and impressive!

Opie431
Explorer
Explorer
We camped at the south side in a tent and loved it. Got to the bottom on the other side. Easier to come up than to go down.

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
No, we didn't have the trailer. Did the south side while camping in Montrose and the north side while camping in Gunnison.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Some sites in the campground will take a 40' motorhome. We've been there a few times. The paved drive down to the river makes for a pleasant day of exploring, fishing, and nice lunch spot.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Lauren
Explorer
Explorer
We were just there again (4th time) - South Side. Weather not the best but did get some good images. Have hiked to the river from the North Rim.

In all due respect I would strongly suggest the South Rim so you are not constantly looking into the sun.
Barbara-DW 55 years
Sadie-"Aussie" Terrier
06 Mobile Suites 32TK3
06 Chev 3500 4x4 Dmax
20 yrs PT RVing - 190 RV parks; some many times

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Did you have your trailer with you? If so, were you able to find parking on the south side? I like both sides but was saying that if you have time for only one, then do the north side.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
We have done both sides and enjoyed each.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000