cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Boondocking near Major City Experiences

carlsdrivein
Explorer
Explorer
Hey there guys, I'm working out the details of going boondocking for an upcoming trip across the west coast before I attempt to go full time, but I had a question about how easy it is to find boondocking or even less expensive rv parks near most major cities. While we're mostly exciting about seeing the different wild areas of the US and boondocking on blm and national forest lands, we would also like to spend time in major cities, think San Francisco, LA, Seattle, SLC, Vegas but we were curious how easily it would be to find parking spots near those areas, at least close enough to travel early in the morning and back at night. Another thing that complicates things is that we'll have our pet cat with us for the trip, so it'll need to be a secure site we don't have to really worry about. But I'd like to hear some of yalls experiences with rving through the country and visiting major cities! Thanks guys!!
8 REPLIES 8

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
On the ferry note, you could urban dock or stay in an rv park at the north end of the SF bay and ferry right to fisherman's wharf!

I agree that SLC and Vegas are easy -- I have boondocked outside of both. Thete was some BLM land about 5 minutes from the Vegas strip.

Be aware, though, that boondocking sites close to towns tend to local party spots.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

Naio
Explorer
Explorer
That's a great tip, we3!

I saw all sorts of small rigs parked on the streets in west LA when I was there last year, ranging from $100k Zions to looks-like-it-might-not-run-at-all tumbledown C's. Offstreet might be more difficult, though.

You can't really boondock OUTSIDE of the SF bay area or LA, because those places are huge and you would have to drive for hours and hours just to get in or out of town. They do have RV parks, though. And LA has beach and mountain campgrounds, which are a pretty good deal.
3/4 timing in a DIY van conversion. Backroads, mountains, boondocking, sometimes big cities for a change of pace.

we3
Explorer
Explorer
We have had good luck with staying in motel parking lots. Most have an area for trucks to park and usually are well lite. I just go in and ask the desk clerk what the charge is to park in their truck lot for the night. Most say "I don't know, just go ahead and stay" but I usually slip them $10 to $20 just so they will remember me and keep an eye out if something happens. I usually tell them that I want to unhook and go down town to look around. It is not unusual to see a 5th wheel or coach sitting in a motel lot, just blend in. Works great

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
Check out freecampsites.net
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

greenrvgreen
Explorer
Explorer
There is actual boondocking to the west of Seattle across Puget Sound, where you can ride a ferry for 30-45 stess-free minutes and end up in downtown, right at the attractions. There are at least 2 nice RV parks to the east, in the Issaquah area, but now you are travelling the same direction as the morning and evening commute.

SLC has several passable RV parks on the east side, along with magnificent mountains right there. If I was doing SLC I would focus on the many ski resorts 30 minutes up the canyons, find camping there and then drive into town.

Vegas has RV parks in or near the city, as well as nearby Lake Mead. You're gonna get what you pay for there.

In LA you're going to have to drive, and drive with traffic.

I know there ar many on this forum who delight in finding hidden parking spots in urban areas, but I would much prefer a hassle-reduced experince.

Darryl_Rita
Explorer
Explorer
Rig size is a huge determining factor here. We've (I've) parked a B-style conversion van all over in several major cities, a truck camper in almost as many places, and now tend to the more industrial/commercial side of town with a fifth wheel. Even as large as we currently are, there's almost always an empty yard in the warehouse district to fit for an overnight. Depending on location, and requirements, we have left the trailer and toured with the truck. For overnighting while travelling, Wal-Mart, or other box store parking lots work, as well as truck stops.
***UPDATE 2006 3500 SRW MegaCab pulling a 2007 fleetwood 5'er

Jayco-noslide
Explorer
Explorer
Might be ify. We have stayed in quite a few Walmarts, for example, and the only 1 where we felt a little uneasy because of drunk or crazies walking through at night was in a large city.
Jayco-noslide

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
You don't say what your vehicle is. That's the key, right there. A truck/camper or small C can sit most anywhere. They just kinda blend in. If you have a big-un? As in a 5th, or major A or C? You can't make that disappear, no how. Some of it is your mind-set. If you can find a nice residential area and don't insist on bbq'ing out on the sidewalk, you should be good. I have done it for years...although not in SF...and I usually make it a practice to find a reason to talk to someone in the area. I often have a sick cat..or dog...and am worried about them. Show them your cat on it's leash or in the in the window. Are you getting the drift here? City parks, churches or close to elementary schools are fertile boondockin grounds. People love pets and kids....let them love yours.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/