Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

California Coast Suggestions?

mcashatt
Explorer
Explorer
Hello,

My name is Matt and I am new to RV'ing and new to this site. Last October, I bought a 1994 32' Damon Challenger Class A. We have spent the last several months gutting it and restoring all major systems and finishes.

Now it is almost as good as new and we are planning a 2-week trip for June.

We are from Phoenix and I have the first week of the trip planned as follows:

• Stop 1: Lake Hemet, CA
  • Stop 2: Malibu, CA
  • Stop 3: Sequoia National Park
  • Stop 4: Yosemite National Park

Now I just need suggestions for the southbound leg for the second week of the trip on our way back to Phoenix.

I was thinking that the California Coast between Los Angeles and San Francisco might have the most to offer, though I am a little nervous about driving southbound on highway 101 as I hear it is a shear drop off in some places.

Any thoughts on what to see & do / where to stop? With me will be my wife and three young kids (ages 5-9). We won't have a car in tow so that will limit us somewhat.

Monterey Bay Aquarium? Big Sur?

Thanks in advance!

Matt
16 REPLIES 16

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
leesan wrote:
How about Pismo beach and El Capitan state beach near Santa Barbara You also have Refugio and Jalama county park Jalama is a Santa Barbara county park

i'm sure all those places are already booked up for June.

the OP is going to have a hard time finding anything on the beach for this June, since he hasn't made any reservations for the second leg yet.

to the OP, if you want to do the coast, you'll probably have to go more inland to find any campsites still available.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

leesan
Explorer
Explorer
How about Pismo beach and El Capitan state beach near Santa Barbara You also have Refugio and Jalama county park Jalama is a Santa Barbara county park

fireman93514
Explorer
Explorer
Roaring camp railroad is fun. Ride a steam train through the redwoods. It is just north of Santa Cruz.
John & Judy
2007 Winnebago Access 31C
2008 Ford Focus

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
I second Cambria and Morro Bay. There is a state park in the area although I haven't camped there.

I would look at Kings Canyon as well although you say you have reservations for Sequoia already. The drive to Grant's Grove in Kings Canyon is much easier than the road up to Sequoia. The road to Sequoia is as bad as places on Pacific Coast Highway and the traffic is atrocious but at least you are going slower. From Grant's Grove, you can drive to General Sherman in about 30-45 minutes depending on traffic and plenty big sequoias in Grant's Grove itself.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

mcashatt
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
korbe wrote:
BTW, It's Hwy 1 that has the bluffs, not Hwy 101.

x3! Highway 1 breaks off and rejoins Highway 101 a number of times.
it's a couple of those parts that break off, that are a bit challenging.
the most famous one is between Morro Bay and Carmel. driving north is the recommended direction with a RV.
the other one is between Leggett and Fort Bragg.

hope you've already made reservations for Malibu, Sequoia and Yosemite.

Hi bikendan,

Yes, we made those reservations a few months ago. Actually we had a much more ambitious trip planned that took us up to your neck of the woods (Olympic NP, Whidbey), and back but have had to cancel those reservations and cut it short due to work (reality).

Thanks!

Matt

mcashatt
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks so much everyone! I am at work and can't respond to each post, but I am very thankful for them all!

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
korbe wrote:

x3! Highway 1 breaks off and rejoins Highway 101 a number of times.
it's a couple of those parts that break off, that are a bit challenging.
the most famous one is between Morro Bay and Carmel. driving north is the recommended direction with a RV.
the other one is between Leggett and Fort Bragg.

hope you've already made reservations for Malibu, Sequoia and Yosemite.
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
There are a number of very charming towns along the coast. We spent a week in Cambria a handful of years ago and loved it. Easy to get to Hearst Castle from there (highly recommended).

I'm a nut for cookies and you'll find recommendations for the Brown Butter Cookie Company south of there (good, especially the location across from the ocean). But the Red Moose Cookie Company in a Cambria industrial park blew me away.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
lots2seeinmyrv wrote:
Hearst Castle
Morro Bay
Solvang

Yes! Although I might put Solvang on my "second choice" list.

TyroneandGladys wrote:

Moss Landing

Moss Landing CG is expensive but nice, and it's a short drive from there to the Monterrey Peninsula. Also, it's a short walk to Phil's Seafood and Phil's Snack Shack. Awesome places!

Other places to put on the list in Monterrey area:
Monterey Bay Aquarium since it's already something you are considering. It was fantastic. And the site of several scenes from Star Trek IV. And as long as you are there, lots of good food at Cannery Row, which the aquarium is on one end of. So you can leave your rig parked. I believe there are city lots nearby that can accommodate RVs and trailers.

Also, spend at least a little time in Carmel-by-the-Sea. Good chance of seeing stars and other well known people walking around or in shops and restaurants.

And take a drive on 17 Mile Drive in Pebble Beach. There is a fee because it's all private, but it's worth the money.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to RVing. There are so many beautiful places to see its tempting to shove too many into one trip. Schedule in time to relax and linger as well. Visit some interesting towns along the way for lunch or supper and you can stretch your legs.

The 4 places you've already chosen are great for doing just that; stick with those 4 for the two weeks and you will be on vacation. More than that turns into a nonstop tour and you come home more tired than when you left. RVing is more than a checklist of things to see; it's about the journey and family time with loved ones and friends.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
Jalama Beach
Morro Bay
Moss Landing
Ventura Beach
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. US Highway 101 is absolutely no problem at all. It is State Route 1 aka the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH/SR 1) that runs along the coast that is the scenic and scary route. There are some stretches on which big rigs are not recommended. Have a great trip.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"

bgum
Explorer
Explorer
Korbe beat me to it.

korbe
Explorer
Explorer