cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camp Grounds near N Y City

Gray_Fox
Explorer
Explorer
Looking to find a camp ground near N Y City so we can take the kids, 16 yrs old,

so we can take them into the city. Does anyone know about Gray Line

tours.
Gray Fox
2014 F350 4x4 Diesel Lariat
2009 HitchHiker-LS 34.5 RLTG
Always keep moving so you don't seize up.
7 REPLIES 7

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
Liberty worked very well for us. Train into the city, ferry ride from Wall Street area back literally to the campground,

Saves a lot of time because you are practically in the city.

NYCgrrl
Explorer
Explorer
Gray Fox wrote:
Looking to find a camp ground near N Y City so we can take the kids, 16 yrs old,

so we can take them into the city. Does anyone know about Gray Line

tours.

I live here but have had occasion to travel on a tour bus (including Gray Line) bus or two; used to work in hotels and have allowed visiting friends to "drag me around", LOL. In all seriousness, I think it's a great way to see your home turf with new eyes.

Once upon a time I could readily recommend any of the Gray Line tours. No longer the case with the highly visible and fun looking double decker buses since the quality of the guides can now be best described as catch as catch can. Some know what they speak of and others rely too greatly on the tape recordings.

I can however speak on these two:

https://www.lonelyplanet.com/usa/new-york-city/activities/new-york-city-guided-sightseeing-tour-by-l...

I THINK this is still a Gray Line tour since you leave from the Gray Terminal but am not sure. Still whoever owns them does a first class job in small and comfy group tours that still offer pricing competitive w/ any of the double deckers.

If the allure of the double deckers is calling you, I'd suggest this company over Gray Line but not by much.I think they have the edge as far as loop tours:

http://attractions.timeout.com/en/11312/tours/New-York-City/Big-Bus-New-York-Hop-On-Hop-Off-Tour/d68...

As for which campground? Think this was discussed last week but the upshot boils down to Liberty Harbour RV Park, for an expensive yet safe and nearby parking lot w/ some sites having great city views, or Croton Point Park, for a traditional state park feel (run by the county) and cost that is further away. Newburgh KOA, and the West Point RV parks have too far a commute for my sensibilities. One locale that I don't think has been discussed is Long Island. The closest to the city, county or SP is:

Battle Row Campground, Old Bethpage

You can do a 45 minute commute to midtown Manhattan using the LIRR's Farmingdale station. As is the norm for commuter trains here, you can leave your wheels at the station's parking lot all day or just take a taxi.
Nightly stay is about 50.00 for the campground.

Somewhat off topic, here's a cute oddity that many don't know of when visiting Grand Central Station, an architectural gem, in it's own right. Go to the lower level just outside the Oyster Bar and you'll find (unmarked) "the Whispering Arches". Talk lowly into one corner and a companion can hear you quite plainly from a diagonal arch.

HTH and have fun where ever you stay and do.

NHDad
Explorer
Explorer
Can we make the best response thread about NYC a sticky?

FULLTIMEWANABE
Explorer
Explorer
Liberty Harbour purely for location to accessibility for train/ferry. Expensive parking gravelled parking lot basically when we were there, but served it's purpose purely to get us into NYC easily using public transport within easy walk.

If doing NYC again, would stay here for the great convenience not ambience by any means!
It Takes No More Effort To Aim High Than To Aim Low - Reach For The Stars

jplante4
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just discussed last week.

Click
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
Moved to RV Parks forum from 5th wheels.
2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
advanced search 'york' in heading in Rv parks forum.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman