cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Campground to beware of

TripleE
Explorer
Explorer
Oaks N Pines in Lake City, FL is a place to bypass. The people working there are the rudest we have ever come across. There are a lot of rules, which I don't mind but their attitude sucks. The sites are very narrow which means our drivers side slide was next to the next sites concrete pad. There was a picnic table there which my DH moved a couple of inches so he could open the bay doors to hookup. The guy came racing across the campground on his riding lawn mower and proceeded to cuss my husband out. Told him to move the table back and if he didn't like it to get the he** out and to get a refund. He wouldn't even give my DH a chance to explain he would move it back when he was done. When he started to the guy just started cussing him again. (That site was empty so he wasn't disturbing a neighbor.) Oh yeah, his wife had parked us! We will never return to this campground. I put a review in and contacted Passport America to complain about this guy. In all our years of camping and fulltiming we have never run into such a rude person.
Bill & Treasa
Our Blog
USMC Retired MGySGT
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD
400 Cummins, Freightliner chassis
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4
13 REPLIES 13

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
"The woman in the office, I assume is the wife. She drove us to our site and wasn't real happy when my DH wanted to unhook the toad before pulling into the site but she wasn't rude about it. She also insisted my DH listen to her instructions instead of mine. I have been parking my DH for the last 8 years as fulltimers and for many years before that. I know what to check for. I know where our slides are and can check if they can open correctly. "

I'm with you --- I really don't care if they have a problem with me unhooking the toad... I'm going to do it . As far as instructions for parking, ditto-- it's my rig and I'm responsible for it-- not her or someone else. Sounds like a good place to stay away from .
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

TripleE
Explorer
Explorer
If not for the rudeness of the guy, I am not sure if he was the owner or not but I certainly wouldn't try to talk to him after his rant, we would stay at the place for an overnight. But once he acted the way he did he put the campground on our no stay list. We generally don't mind tight sites for a night, nor do we mind a list of rules but this guy was way out of line.

The woman in the office, I assume is the wife. She drove us to our site and wasn't real happy when my DH wanted to unhook the toad before pulling into the site but she wasn't rude about it. She also insisted my DH listen to her instructions instead of mine. I have been parking my DH for the last 8 years as fulltimers and for many years before that. I know what to check for. I know where our slides are and can check if they can open correctly.

I am glad others had a good experience there. I just wanted to report ours. I posted in rvparkreviews and also sent a letter to Passport America. That is all I can do.
Bill & Treasa
Our Blog
USMC Retired MGySGT
2005 Winnebago Vectra 40AD
400 Cummins, Freightliner chassis
2004 Suzuki Grand Vitara 4X4

FLman2
Explorer
Explorer
Stayed there last Aug. I found the people in the office friendly and used our Passport America card so the price was pretty cheap. For a one night stay it was ok.

Tom_N
Explorer
Explorer
Passport America could care less.
Sarver, PA/Crystal River, FL/Shelocta, PA ยท W3TLN ยท FMCA 335149 ยท Mystic Knights of the Sea
2005 Suncruiser 38R ยท W24 chassis, no chassis mods needed ยท 2013 Honda Accord EX-L ยท 2008 Honda Odyssey EX-L

Duck
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed there 3 times but not within the past 2 years. We had no problems at all but we only were there for one night.
Don
08-FORD F350 PSD
13 Bighorn 3055RL {For Sale}

DwnSth
Explorer
Explorer
I had a very bad experience with the 'parking attendant' at a very highly regarded campground (on this forum as well as campground reviews and tripadvisor). Very disappointing since we had heard and expected great things. Only saving grace was other worker and relative of the owner apologized to us and was very pleasant rest of stay. You never know what mood or people you will encounter at RV parks, especially if they don't think they need your business.
2014 Berkshire 360QL

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
Some people just don't need to be in the customer service business. Sorry you had a bad experience.

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
So did you talk to cg management about this person? It's possible he's a self-appointed "space nazi". Just sayin'.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

ct1964ups
Explorer
Explorer
jplante4 wrote:
It gets a 'good' rating on rvparkreviews.com. Most reviewers commented on the narrow sites. I noticed that the price of a night's stay is pretty low, so I expect that set everyone's expectations. I guess it's one of those "you get what you pay for" places.

I've stayed a few times....they don't hurt for business.....thought they were the same owners....only knock I have on the place is the sites are extremely narrow......but I didn't think the rates were cheap by any thought...fairly pricey in my book...Chuck
2017 Newmar Mountain Aire Seville on a Freightliner/2015 Granite Grand Cherokee Limited
2012 American Tradition Merlot>>SOLD
Keep The Rubber On The Road
GO NOLES

jplante4
Explorer
Explorer
It gets a 'good' rating on rvparkreviews.com. Most reviewers commented on the narrow sites. I noticed that the price of a night's stay is pretty low, so I expect that set everyone's expectations. I guess it's one of those "you get what you pay for" places.
Jerry & Jeanne
1996 Safari Sahara 3530 - 'White Tiger'
CAT 3126/Allison 6 speed/Magnum Chassis
2014 Equinox AWD / Blue Ox

Jim_Shoe
Explorer
Explorer
Must be new owners. I stayed there on my way to visit friends living in Tampa a few years ago. Not many people there, because it was early summer. Not the busy season. The folks running the place told me to pick my own spot and stop at the office to tell them where I was. The man stopped by later on just to chew the fat. But they were older than me, and I'm rubbing up against 70.
Retired and visiting as much of this beautiful country as I can.

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
I got into one of those type parks in Yuma AZ. Hardly enough room to open my entrance door because vehicle had to be parked there. When I left there was no room to hook my toad so drove out to front of park along side of the road. Park put all those folding "no parking" signs out there. That was the final thing. I didn't want to run over the signs so I just grabbed them and threw them in the planter before I parked my MH and started to hook my toad. The guy ran out with his cart jumped off and approached. Before he could say anything I faced him and said" excuse me sir do you have a problem?" He never said a word just got back on his cart and drove back inside. My DW says I have fire in my eyes when I reach my breaking point. :B

That RV park was basically a trailer park with a few very small RV spots. Had a 5 star rating until I gave my rating. I think these parks were built long before RVs had slideouts. They never adapted. All we can do is rate them and give our reasons so others won't have problems.

LadyRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your comments...I have considered this as a stopping point but I won't now. I can deal with a lot of things on the road and at campgrounds, but this type of attitude is uncalled for.

Is there a review on rvparkreviews.Com in reference to this cg? Without checking there right now, I believe there is. If you can and haven't, might want to post there too.

This type of attitude is a lot what gives Passport America cg's a bad rapt, when in fact there are lots of nice PPA parks.