cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canyons of the Ancients National Monument

ridin_with_the_
Explorer
Explorer
We are leaving Colorado Springs next week heading to Hill AFB in Provo via four corners. I would like to spend a few days boondocking around Canyons of the Ancients National Monument. Anyone know if there is an area suitable for a 40'Class A?
2005 Alfa See-Ya M40FD #3507
The Ranga co-piloting
Zoie and Mazi the Shih Tzus
Jordan the Pyradore
Story Bird a Green Cheek Conure
4 REPLIES 4

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
Goblin Valley SP is no where near Canyon of the Ancients NM. Here's a second vote for McPhee Reservoir. Quite near the Anasazi Heritage Center where they can give you good info on other sites to visit like Sand Canyon and the various parts of Hovenweep.

If you really want to boondock, try heading north out of Dolores on 526 (11th Street). After a few miles, there are a variety of roads off the road in both directions with camping spots. Do a little research with satellite images on Google maps or the like to scout out where you want to go ahead of time. For instance, check out some of the spots here: 37ยฐ32'33.2"N 108ยฐ27'25.0"W Or look along 529 and 528 in this area.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

ridin_with_the_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. That being the case... I might try Goblin State Park.
The Ranga co-piloting
Jordan the Pyradore

ridin_with_the_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info. That being the case... I might try Goblin State Park.
The Ranga co-piloting
Jordan the Pyradore

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
As I recall from two years ago, BLM discourages RVs anywhere except on main roads. But maybe someone else has driven into a boondocking site they can recommend - it's a big area. You're talking deep sand and very rough, uneven rock, though, even in some of the public access parking areas.

You could call the visitor center folks at Anasazi Heritage Center and get their input. Or just stay at a public campground. I think Hovenweep sites are too small for a 40 footer but the McPhee Reservoir complex near Dolores has some 40-50 foot sites.