cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Challis, Idaho

Howie3
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like a nice area for dry camping and there seems to be quite a few FS & BLM campgrounds nearby. Will I have any challenges in finding a camping spot during August along HWY 75 & 95? (i.e. between Salmon & Stanley). Should I plan my arrivals mid-week and early in the day to be safe?
5 REPLIES 5

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Check out Custer while you're there!!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Ramblin__Ralph
Explorer
Explorer
I've stayed at the BLM Cottonwood campground a couple of times on my annual trip to Montana. It's a really nice one on the banks of the Salmon River.

Map for it here.

Pictures of my site and river there:

Ralph
2006 GMC 2500HD, XCab, SB, 6.0L w/2001 Lance 845
Bilstein Shocks, TorkLift Stable Loads, 100 Ah LiFePo4, 225 watt solar
My RV Travels Webpage / Yearly Campsite Map / 740 Campsites / YouTube Videos /
Instagram

RCMAN46
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going in 2013 ( this year) be sure to check on status of fires in the area that are burning right now.

caver
Nomad
Nomad
I camped a few miles out of Stanley in late June and almost had the place to myself.

ReneeG
Explorer
Explorer
Mid-week is best or early in the day on Friday. Depends on where between Salmon and Stanley since there are lots of spots. We are heading up 6am tomorrow to the Cape Horn area but that's off of Hwy 21 West of Stanley. The locals love camping so they will take off right after work on Friday and arrive at all hours of the night just for a couple of days camping.
2011 Bighorn 3055RL, 2011 F350 DRW 6.7L 4x4 Diesel Lariat and Hensley TrailerSaver BD3, 1992 Jeep ZJ and 1978 Coleman Concord Pop-Up for remote camping
Dave & Renee plus (Champ, Molly, Paris, Missy, and Maggie in spirit), Mica, Mabel, and Melton