cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Colorado campground with ATV access

Leroy2u
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know of any Colorado RV campgrounds that have direct trail access for ATV's? Looking to stop in and ride for 2-3 days if possible.

Thanks
2012 Silverado 3500 DRW
2013 XLR 395 AMP
14 REPLIES 14

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, Boondockers do tend to get lots of very nice places closed to us all.
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

taybrynn
Explorer
Explorer
There are some places around Leadville which allow ATVs I believe.

jkmac408
Explorer
Explorer
check out Castle Lakes campground, Lake City Co. Right on the Alpine Loop scenic Backcountry Byway with several other trails off of it. Can't be beat.
Kenneth

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I have some friends that go to Southfork and dry camp up some of the mountain roads. these areas are free park and have zero hookups. They will spend a week or two just using ATVs.. Most of the time they are parked by themselves with no one else in that particular spot. Many spots to turn off all along this road up to a ghost town. It is beautiful with a stream running along the area We stay at a camp ground about 5 miles from the area. We prefer full hookups. A lot of the folks that stay at the park bring ATVS, and they provide a place to park them. The road they park by goes to Summetville.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
That is good info to have about no riding in town on ATVs. We spent a month, last summer in Ouray and were down to Silverton probably 4 or 5 times. Saw many ATVs running up and down Blair St, but of course, that doesn't mean it is legal to do so. Mat be one of those situations that is impossible to enforce. Since gypsie is probably correct, then the Silverton Lakes CG will also be illegal as I believe it is in the city limits also. The line is between the CG and the town's cemetery. Always struck me as odd that the cemetery was outside the town limits.
During the years I was a deputy coroner for Ouray County, I was loaned out, a couple of times, to San Juan county (Silverton) if their coroner was out of the county. I partisapated in a couple of lightning strike body recoveries for them.

As mentioned above, the campground now operating at Eureka would be a place you could ride in and out of, but I would call the campgrounds in Silverton and ask. The years I lived in Alaska I owned a Honda 3 wheeler, but never bought one the ten years we were in Ouray, just did the Jeep thing on the trails.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Silverton is a very favorite area for us. There have been changes in Silverton in the past couple years and I don't think you can ride from town anymore. The only campground to ride from is Silverton Lakes a mile or so out of town. There used to be boondocking at Eureka a little further out but it's now been turned into a campground area with approximately 50 designated sites and a fee. This was due to misuse by past boondockers, unfortunately. There's also a parking/unloading area a couple miles out of town if you stay at other RV parks in town.

We Jeep the awesome trails but we boondock at Mineral Creek but you can't do the famous Alpine Loop from there.

Lake City has some nice forest service campgrounds or boondocking spots that you could ride the same Silverton trails from.

Taylor Park northeast of Gunnison has lots of boondocking areas to ride from with nice scenery and a RV park.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

joe_b_
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the campgrounds in Silverton, just north of Durango and south of Ouray. I believe all the CGs in town, 3 of them, have access to the trails. Appears the town allows them to be ridden on the back streets to get in and out of town. If a person can deal with the 9,000 ft altitude, Silverton is a beautiful spot and the old mining trails in that area are some of the best in the state.
joe b.
Stuart Florida
Formerly of Colorado and Alaska
2016 Fleetwood Flair 31 B Class A w/bunks
www.picturetrail.com/jbpacooper
Alaska-Colorado and other Trips posted
"Without challenge, adventure is impossible".

TommyC83
Explorer
Explorer
Taylor park is awesome. Lots of camping options either at the rv park, state grounds aswell as great boondocking.

wildbyon
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO - The two best atv areas w/ direct access from your rv are: Taylor Park and Eureka, N. of Silverton.
'01 Ford F350-7.3l PS Diesel, Lariet, Crew Cab, 4x4, Dully,
BTS transmission, Air bag suspension, exhaust brake, post gauges,
performance chip, 4" exhaust, remote start
'11 5th Wheel 38'Forest River Cardinal
'15 RZR 900 50" Trail, S x S

Leroy2u
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all information, I was looking into the mountains and aslo anywhere in the southern half.
2012 Silverado 3500 DRW
2013 XLR 395 AMP

terry_thiessen
Explorer
Explorer
Lake city colorado has a great county campground on lake cristobol sp? . No hookups but do have water and dump station.can ride from campground several trails lead to mining camps cabins ghost towns american basin is awesome when flowers in bloom. Have been riding there for about 10 years still seeing new trails.

Thom02099
Explorer II
Explorer II
Leroy2u wrote:
Does anyone know of any Colorado RV campgrounds that have direct trail access for ATV's? Looking to stop in and ride for 2-3 days if possible.

Thanks

http://www.atvsource.com/trailheads/colorado.htm

http://cpw.state.co.us/placestogo/parks/StateForest/Pages/Trails.aspx
(scroll down for this one, the trails for ATV's are listed further down)

Here's a couple of resources for ya! The Colorado State Forest is between Fort Collins and Walden, closer to Walden. It is very isolated in places, you can spend days there and not see everything.
2007 GMC Sierra SLE 3500HD Dually
2016 Coachmen Catalina Legacy Edition 243RBS
2007 Keystone Outback 25RSS - R.I.P.

jolooote
Explorer
Explorer
colorado is a BIG place. Any particular area?
Joe & Charlotte

2020 Jayco Greyhawk Prestige 29MV Celestial Blue Full Body Paint E-450 305hp V10 6spd Class C 'COACH'

2012 Jeep Wrangler 285hp V6 'TOAD'

Gabby & Molly are Dogs
Leroy's a Conure, Loretta's a Squeaker

"Once it starts breakin'...GET RID OF IT!!!"

kmbernstein
Explorer
Explorer
Try Colorado Dream Ranch near the Taylor reservoir. Huge ATV area
Me, 1 Great hubby (Tim), Cole the Standard Poodle,
Magic the tiny Bengal Cat
2012 Skyline Koala 21CS
2007 Ford Explorer