cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Colorado Suggestions Needed

WrightOn
Explorer
Explorer
Two couples with a pair of 19 YOs are planning a SW Colorado trip for this summer traveling from Illinois. Colorado Springs would be our second 500 mile day. Our final destination will be the Ouray/Silverton area. I'd like Colorado Springs to be the first stop as it is a logical place to land after the second long day, and given the Gardens and Pikes Peak, a nice place to spend two days.

Below is my tentative itinerary. Poke holes in it, please. I want to get the biggest bang out of the limited time we have. Several questions I have:

1) Is Ouray the best option to land and sightsee from?

2) Does Arches NP seem like a doable day trip?

3) Should we move the camper to the Durango area for a night or two in order to take the train before heading home? If so, what is the best CG option? If in Durango, should we add Mesa Verde to the plan and if so, how long should be designated for that (1 day)?

4) I don't like driving the same trip twice, so I thought going the southern Colorado to the east would be best. Is there any CG east of Colorado Springs near Limon?

5) What roads would you suggest that give us the best views but balanced with our set ups (Ford diesels and 39' FW/TT)?

Itinerary

Thank you for all your help.
Brian
Out numbered 4:1
2011 F350 PSD 6.7L Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Empty Nest'n with our Rott!
26 REPLIES 26

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
WrightOn wrote:
After all your suggestions, I have reconfigured our vacation plans. I've added four days (not sure if our other family can) and thus added Buena Vista to the itinerary. I'm stoked about that after doing some research. After BV, we head to Durango for a couple days, then Ouray for five before heading back home.

I'd love to find a lonely place to boon dock against a fantastic view and a bubbling stream - much like the picture posted of the free place in Silverton (National Forest Sultan/Anvil camping areas). However, their website states a 25' limit. Any suggestion you have that can fit our 39' fifth wheel would be appreciated. To me, that is Colorado - at least in my head.

My wife wants to go to a rodeo. The Durango Rodeo is on Wednesdays, but we will be there Thursday through Sunday. Are there any other rodeos nearby?

So, here is the updated itinerary updated itinerary for our trip.

I was going to suggest Buena Vista. We lived in Estes Park for 31 years and escaped to BV because of the grid lock and chaos. Buena Vista is worth several days. World class rafting in Browns Canyon National Monument. I suggest Noah's Ark. Their guides are drug tested, clean cut and polite. You can rent a Jeep and do some great wheeling from mild to wild. World class trout fishing on the Arkansas River. Great hiking. Not overcrowded. Lots of camping choices.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
2gypsies wrote:
For Silverton, CO with our 40' motorhome we stay at South Mineral Creek boondocking spots. It's popular so you won't be secluded but it has great views, close to town and the trails.

https://freecampsites.net/#!8798&query=sitedetails

We're talking about the same spots, just a different name.

https://www.campendium.com/sultan-camping-area
Grand Adventure: YouTube.com/GrandAdventure | GrandAdventure.tv
Cottonwood Heights, UT
2016 Evo by Forest River T2050
2014 Toyota Tacoma SR 5.7L V8
Days camped: 2017 - 66 |2018 - 136

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
For Silverton, CO with our 40' motorhome we stay at South Mineral Creek boondocking spots. It's popular so you won't be secluded but it has great views, close to town and the trails.

https://freecampsites.net/#!8798&query=sitedetails
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
WrightOn wrote:
I'd love to find a lonely place to boon dock against a fantastic view and a bubbling stream - much like the picture posted of the free place in Silverton. However, their website states a 25' limit. Any suggestion you have that can fit our 39' fifth wheel would be appreciated. To me, that is Colorado - at least in my head.

You could fit a semi in that spot I posted the picture of at Sultan (Sorry, it was Sultan, not Anvil -- they're right across the creek from one another and I got confused). While we were there, the only neighbor we had was on our last night and they were in a large Class A. So I'm not sure where that 25' limit you're referring to came from, but there's no such signage on site.

Here's someone else's photo from Campendium so you can see what I mean:

Cottonwood Heights, UT

WrightOn
Explorer
Explorer
After all your suggestions, I have reconfigured our vacation plans. I've added four days (not sure if our other family can) and thus added Buena Vista to the itinerary. I'm stoked about that after doing some research. After BV, we head to Durango for a couple days, then Ouray for five before heading back home.

I'd love to find a lonely place to boon dock against a fantastic view and a bubbling stream - much like the picture posted of the free place in Silverton (National Forest Sultan/Anvil camping areas). However, their website states a 25' limit. Any suggestion you have that can fit our 39' fifth wheel would be appreciated. To me, that is Colorado - at least in my head.

My wife wants to go to a rodeo. The Durango Rodeo is on Wednesdays, but we will be there Thursday through Sunday. Are there any other rodeos nearby?

So, here is the updated itinerary updated itinerary for our trip.
Out numbered 4:1
2011 F350 PSD 6.7L Dually
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Empty Nest'n with our Rott!

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
I looked at your itinerary and I chuckled as I also do them nearly the same. DW calls me the trip Nazi. Anyway a couple of CG recomendations. We like Deer Creek valley RV Park in Topeka. Great park maybe a mile of I70. We like Cottonwoods RV Park in Columbia. If it were me, heading west from Topeka, I'de just stay in Limon CO. Then skip Colorado Springs & straight to Ouray. We have to stop in CO Springs because we have family there but short of that I wouldn't waste my time. GOTG is nothing compared to the sights available further down the road. Lastly, Arches & Moab (300 miles of windshield time) seems like kind of hectic day. I would be tempted to just choose one & spend more time.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
WrightOn wrote:
All,
Thank you for the insight. Several years ago, I surprised my wife by flying us into Denver and taking in RMNP (Grand Lake), Dillion, and CoSprings for four days in October. Taking in the beauty of Colorado just got me more excited to bring the camper out.

There will be two families in two Ford diesels making the trip in late June/early July.

I'm not interested in seeing RMNP, and with only 6 days in Colorado, I'm trying to cram as many things in as possible.

If you would, please click the link - Itinerary - before commenting as much of your questions may be answered in that document.

Renting a jeep, taking in a bit of a hike (not too strenuous), mountain "bobsled" track would be fun, and of course all the beautiful scenery is a must.

OK - I've looked at the Itinerary and now my main question is why ONLY 12 days? not two weeks, 14 days - not 16.5 days with three weekends, and an early start on Friday after work? You do understand that the 3,000 miles Plus that you will drive will take time, Driving out, with the crew in the Truck pulling the trailer will most likely mean 50mph average on the highway out, and close to 40mph in the Mountains once you get there. So do whatever you can to BUY - Steal - CREATE more days(More Hours) IN COLORADO - IMHO the First - Main - Most Important thing to do is to Get More Time.

You say 6 days but the Itinerary says 8 so again, I'm a little confused.

Couple things to think about after you've created a few more days - is this to be a trip that Explores - Exposes - Touches - Lives a little of Colorado? If so the Focus needs to be on what is Colorado?

The Rockies - The Rivers - The quaint Little Towns - the Wild Trails available to explore.

I'd try to Focus on Two or maybe even Three stops (Three if you can create more TIME) My Choices would be Buena Vista - Arkansas River - Leadville - Collegiates - Independence Pass - Maroon Bells - Collegiates, I and most others will gladly work with the things to do and Explore in that area.

Second Ouray - either in the town - or In Ridgway State Park - Here you will have trips to Silverton - Telluride - Lake City - Black Canyon of the Gunnison NP - Rivers - Lakes - National forests - Dunton - Trails like nothing you have ever even Imagined - If you are arriving in the right time you will also be exposed to the High Alpine Meadows loaded with Color/Flowers.

If you need to be exposed to the Commercial side of Colorado look to the Ski Resorts as they generally are filled with activities all summer to keep the Restaurants and Hotels filled. Biking - Tubing - Rides and other Activities.

Last but not least - Spend the Spring - Getting in Shape - Walk/Hike/Work Out - Colorado is not for the Faint of Heart - at 5,280 + for all this trip you need to be in shape - You will need some Good Boots to walk/Hike in - No tennis Shoes, they will not cut it when you are walking on the Trail - Hiking in the Mountains (trust me on this) - the Air is much thinner and if you are not in at least moderate shape, just walking in town - up the street will be a test.

If you are able to Create more time I'd think about running North to get out of the state - Then you might catch Moab - Dinosaur NM - Flaming Gorge then I- 80 home.

Maybe after Christmas you can get back to us and let us know what has been decided and we can help fill in some of the Blanks.

Best of Luck, It will be Epic!

Starting Point
Ending Point
Miles Traveled
Activities
Day 1
Momence, IL
Topeka, KS or
Lincoln, NE
542 (8 hrs) or
540 (8 hrs)
Nothing
Day 2
Topeka, KS or
Lincoln, NE
Colorado Springs, CO
524 (7.5 hrs)
555 (7.75 hrs)
Nothing
Day 3
Colorado Springs, CO
Colorado Springs, CO
Garden of the Gods (am)
Pikes Peak (pm)
Day 4
Colorado Springs, CO
Ouray, CO
267 (5 hrs)
Sightseeing from vehicle
Day 5
Ouray, CO
Ouray, CO
52 (1.25 hrs)
One Way
Sightseeing of Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
Day 6
Ouray, CO
Ouray, CO
50 (1 hr)
One Way
Sightseeing of Telluride including tubing
Day 7
Ouray, CO
Ouray, CO
70 (1.75 hrs)
One Way
Silverton and Durango via Million Dollar Hwy and Train
Day 8
Ouray, CO
Ouray, CO
150 (3 hrs)
One Way
Side trip to Arches National Park, Moab, Utah
Day 9
Ouray, CO
Ouray, CO
Jeep Tour and Hot Springs
Day 10
Ouray, CO
Limon, CO
367 (6.5 hrs)
Sightseeing from vehicle
Day 11
Limon, CO
Columbia, MO
640 (9 hrs)
Nothing
Day 12
Columbia, MO
Momence, IL
354 (5.75 hrs)
Unpack and get ready for work!
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
1stgenfarmboy wrote:
If you are going to see Telluride, stop at Mountain Village, park for free, ride the free gondola down into Telluride, great views and did I say free, ( you won't find many things free in CO. ).

I second that. We employed that strategy as we were camped at North Trout Lake Road south of Telluride, so it just made sense. The gondola connecting Telluride and Mountain Village is meant to be part of the area's mass transit system, which is why it's free. And yes, you can bring dogs on the gondi, but only in specified dog-friendly cabins that come along every third cabin or so on the line. It sure beats fighting to find a paid parking spot in town, especially during the Telluride Film Festival that was in full swing during our visit.

Riding the free gondola into town.

DW and our furkids riding the gondi.

Downtown Telluride

How about this RV?

Our campsite on North Trout Lake Road (https://www.campendium.com/north-trout-lake-road).

As we visited SW CO prior to our launch of Grand Adventure (https://YouTube.com/GrandAdventure) I have only still photos of the area, and no video. However, I'm going to run a "Kitchen Table Trips" video series through the core winter months that will cover these locations in detail, complete with maps, travel advice, and lots and lots of photos.
Cottonwood Heights, UT

1stgenfarmboy
Explorer
Explorer
If you are going to see Telluride, stop at Mountain Village, park for free, ride the free gondola down into Telluride, great views and did I say free, ( you won't find many things free in CO. ).

you could go by Great Sand Dunes N.P. it's right on the way and stop off at Creede, you can see many cool silver mines with easy roads, on your way to Durango.

also I second or third trying to do the Durango to Silverton RR

must See towns.

Silverton
Ouray
Telluride
Ridgway--------must eat at the True Grit Cafe
1993 Dodge W350 Cummins with all the goodies
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn 2wd 395hp
2017 Forest River Surveyor 243 RBS
2001 Super Sherpa & 2012 DL650A go along also

FirstTracks
Explorer
Explorer
WrightOn wrote:
1) Is Ouray the best option to land and sightsee from?

Brian, personally I'd prefer Silverton over Ouray as it's more centrally located. The National Forest Sultan/Anvil camping areas, adjacent to one another on either side of a creek, were wonderful when we were there in September:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hlnD2Y1CoBYRgYKA3
Our Silverton camp

https://photos.app.goo.gl/pBoj5BhrI2CbYKe63
Silverton, Colorado

https://photos.app.goo.gl/WTeptZfJu6hHT3CW2
Silverton, Colorado

WrightOn wrote:
2) Does Arches NP seem like a doable day trip?

In my opinion, no way.

WrightOn wrote:
3) If in Durango, should we add Mesa Verde to the plan and if so, how long should be designated for that (1 day)?

In my opinion, one day for Mesa Verde should be fine; just be sure to get tickets for one of the tours down into the cliff dwellings. Otherwise you're just looking down upon them from a distance.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/5Q3v76RMKwTnckk52
On the Balcony House tour at Mesa Verde.

FYI there's some wonderful boondocking on BLM land nearly right across the road from the entrance to Mesa Verde.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/9t1kP2Leb0InIw8g2
At our BLM site across from Mesa Verde.

FYI I'm planning some "Kitchen Table Trips" episodes of Grand Adventure this winter covering our trip through southwestern Colorado this fall, including Telluride, Silverton and Mesa Verde. You can subscribe at https://YouTube.com/GrandAdventure if you want to be sure to catch them.
Cottonwood Heights, UT

4runnerguy
Explorer
Explorer
First, look at the link Thom gave you to another very similar thread running right now.

A few comments:

Your first two days are probably more like 10+ hours of driving each day. It's really hard to average even 60 MPH for such long distances. Fuel breaks, bathroom breaks, food breaks all take time out of your trip. Breakfast, breaking camp in the morning and then checking in and setting up at your destination and you're looking at more than 12 hours every day. It's doable, esp. going across states like KS, MO etc., but draining. Once you get to the mountains, your average speed will drop even more. As Busskipper noted, if you can get a couple of hundred miles under you belt the evening before the "Day 1" on you itinerary, that will help with your scheduling the rest of the way out. Maybe something around Springfield IL or Davenport IA, depending on which route you use?

To look for campgrounds along your different routes, I'd check out this map. Zoom to various areas to see public and private CG's.

If you don't want to see the same sights on your trip out and back, go one way on I-80/I-76/US 285/US 160 and the other direction via I-70/US 40/CO 96/I-25/US 160.

I would skip Colorado Springs as a stop over. You'll be going by so much better scenery IMHO. Plus if you're going to be here in the summer, head to higher elevations where it's cooler. Over all the guests who have visited us over all the decades, Colorado Springs has never been a place I have taken any of them.

I'd make Durango your home base in SW Colorado. Ouray is nice, but there's more variety of landscapes if you're in Durango. Besides, taking the train if you're staying in Ouray just isn't practical. That's a minimum of two hours driving each way just to get to the train station. And traffic is often slower as there are lots of people looking at the scenery.

The train is a must do IMHO. We're not big on "touristy" attractions, but the train is something we've done several times and will do again. Get the book Cinders and Smoke by Doris B Osterwald before you go on the train. It has mile by mile descriptions of things you might not notice otherwise.

You'll need a full day to do Mesa Verde. Get to the visitors center early (8:00 a.m.) to secure tickets to one or more of the guided hikes. With only one day, I'd stick to the ruins on the Chapin Mesa road as it's a fair drive out to ruins on the Wetherill Mesa Road. Besides, there's lot to see on the Chapin Mesa road from turnouts along the road with minimal hiking.

To visit Ouray, take a long day trip up to Telluride, then over to Ouray, where you can take a couple of hours at the Hot Springs Pool. Best views from a pool anywhere! Then back through Silverton and on to Durango.

As I noted, check out the other post for more ideas.
Ken & Allison
2 Camping Cats (1 diabetic)
1996 4Runner, TRD Supercharger, Edelbrock headers
2007 Fleetwood Arcadia, Honda EU2000i
4 mountain bikes, 1 canoe, 4 tents, 8 sleeping bags, 2 backpacks
(You get the idea!)

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Great Platte River Road Archway

This is near Kearney NE
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

patperry2766
Explorer
Explorer
Look at Mueller SP in Divide Colorado (Colorado Springs). Take the drive up to Pike's Peak and the Garden of the Gods.

Near Ouray/Silverton, look at Ridgway SP-Elk Ridge E Loop, sites # 181,184,186 are probably about the best views available.

Colorado books up FAST so get your spots picked out early and reserve them.

When in Ouray, plan on spending at least a couple of hours at the hot springs swimming pool.

If you do the Hwy 550 all the way to Durango, then stop at Honeyville (N of Durango).
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
Arches is well worthwhile, but will be hot. Get a place in Moab, then sightsee and hike during morning and evening hours; afternoon should be spent relaxing in AC cooled comfort. Also consider touring CO Natl Monument for additional sandstone scenery; that could work as a day trip from Ridgeway if you plan it as a drive-through without much hiking, or there is a nice state park just to the north.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point