cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dry camping Oregon for Rock Hounding locations

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. I live in Portland, Oregon. Previously, I took my kids rock hounding at Richardson Rock Ranch near Madras. It was fun, but we couldn't camp at the dig site. I'd like to find an Oregon site where we could camp and the kids could dig for agates, fossils, arrow heads, whatever ... The kids are only eight.

We have the motorhome in my signature and a 4x4 toad. We would really like to find a place in Oregon to dry camp rather than a RV park to experience some star gazing also.

Time of year would be spring or summer.
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat
8 REPLIES 8

mtdew999
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind going just a wee bit further south, check out the Virgin Valley, SE of Lakeview off highway 140. There is a whole bunch of open area and public land, but in the middle of nowhere is this gem: http://www.royalpeacock.com/rv-park

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
donn0128 wrote:
Down around Heart Mountain there is a large free Sun Stone collection area.

That's where we've went in the Oregon Outback in our Class C looking for Sunstones. Outstanding skies out there. Pure boondocking at it's finest. Around 25 miles each way on extreme washboard to get there. We had to travel all the way in and out at 7-10 MPH - the "take the washboard at 35 MPH to smooth it out" approach doesn't work in a motorhome if one wants a motorhome left when you get there ... that only works for SUV's and pickups.

The trip was worth it - a real remote area and we hope to try it and/or similar Oregon spots some more. Great hamburgers in Plush, too!!
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

ICamel
Explorer
Explorer
Try a Google search for blogs by "Bill Barker". He writes outdoor articles for the Corvallis Gazette-Times. A number of his articles specifically are pointed towards rock hounding in Oregon in out of the way places to camp.
ICamel

2017 Arctic Fox 992
2005 Ford F350 Lariat SuperDuty CrewCab 4x4 + 6 Speed Manual + 19.5" Tires + LoadLifter 5000 Rear Air Bags
2005 16' River Wild Drift Boat
Honda EU2000i
Trophytrout FlyFisherman

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
You may want to check out the Succor Creek area. Yes, it's a long way (even from Bend), plus about an hour on a grave road. But it has miles of Jeep, motorcycle, quad riding, rockhounding, and great hiking in the Owyhee Canyonlands. It's an Oregon State Park, but there is no charge and the best camping isn't in the campground anyway, but along the road (and creek) on the way into the campground. Super, unlimited, camping opportunities with great views on the BLM land adjoining the park as well. Darn, now everyone on this site will be going there.........don't forget the hour drive on a gravel road......

p.s.;
Only go in the spring or fall. Summer would be pretty warm and winters are cool/cold. If you go in the spring, watch the weather as too much rain (or melting snow) makes the gravel road a bit muddy. Fall has hunters (where doesn't in Oregon???)
Google "Rockhounding Succor Creek" (or similar) to see what you might find there. I believe a couple rockhounding clubs regularly go there. Just know that the picking won't be as "easy" as at Richardson Ranch. Personally, I wouldn't go there just for the rockhounding, but rather the hiking (Jeeping in your case) and camping.

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
This is great info. Thanks a bunch!
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Down around Heart Mountain there is a large free Sun Stone collection area. And just south of Lakeview in CA there are several free Obsedion collection sites.

amandasgramma
Explorer
Explorer
Look up "Glass Buttes, Oregon". Between Bend and Burns. It's on Blm or fed land. You need the map once you leave the highway. You can camp for a ways up to the hill but need the 4x4 to get up there. The obsidian is amazing...mahagony, silver sheen gold sheen and rainbow obsidian.
My mind is a garden. My thoughts are the seeds. My harvest will be either flower or weeds

Dee and Bob
plus 2 spoiled cats
On the road FULL-TIME.......see ya there, my friend

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Phil, you're up!
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."