cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Easy way to see Long Island, NY?

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We have looked at taking a ferry over, but it sounds like you are wedged in and we don't want our truck to be damaged. Driving in NYC has no appeal! Does anyone know of a tour from the mainland to especially Sagamore Hill & the Vanderbilt museum complex? Thanks!
17 REPLIES 17

DIVECOP_1
Explorer
Explorer
We're camping right now in Croton Point Pk in Croton on the Hudson. It is the closest full hookup park to Manhattan. The train to Grand Central is 1 1/2 miles from the campground. We have a view of the hudson river, near West Point and FDR house. The park is run by Westchester county.
2012 F 350 CC LB DRW Lariet B&W Companion OEM 2013 Open Range R417RSS 2 Vizslas Cali & Shooter

DavidandDayle
Explorer
Explorer
We went to Sagamore Hill last fall. We camped in Jersey City and took the railway (PATH + LIRR) then a cab. Sagamore Hill suggests using a station farther away, but with better service than the local one.
David and Dayle

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I live 9 miles from the George washington bridge on the New Jersey side. The ONLY TIME I towed my trailer thru NYC was the night I bought it in Suffolk County Long Island and had to bring it home.
Still beats when I have to drive one of the company Internationals there with a couple of cars on it!
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

buc1980
Explorer
Explorer
Be very careful if you go with the trailer in NYC,we end up last year and we have a lot of problem to go around.Finally we stop a police to tell us how to get out.The city is old with a lot of bridges and underpass which you can't go thru.And then I got to pay 76$ to go over one bridge.No more NYC for me with the trailer.We stay in a campground name Croton on Hudson and we take the train to NYC very convenient.
2017 Ford F350 DRW,2005 Kountry Star 35ft,16750 lb weight on SAILUN tire,6 points LIPPERD Level-up.New Mor/ryde IS suspension install.Full body paint 2022.RV flex roof 2023

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
We live on LI and take the Cross Sound Ferry all the time with our TT. They are careful and will tell you which boat you can fit on. The ferries are very large. Driving into and off of LI is horrible on a good day. Best time to do that is between 10pm to 5 am! No real cgs on LI except for County Parks but there is a CG in Greenport. You need to plan and make reservations as you cant just show up in an RV and expect to get on.

PM me if you want to get into more specifics.

Happy Trails
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We would happily be foot passengers on the ferry if train/transit was available to our desired destinations! So far, the only tour I can find only goes to the shopping mall ๐Ÿ˜ž

TCmart
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought. When we travel from Long Island to New England, we take the Cross Sound Ferry from Orient pt. To New London. Stress free, costs us about the same as driving around with fuel and tolls.
If you come over from Connecticut, check out the Riverhead Moose Lodge camping facility. Full hookups, nice area, close to vineyards, aquarium, and you can drive west to Sagamore Hill , etc.
even with joining the organization and the cost per night, it probably rivals a one night stay anywhere else on the island. Just my opinion but if I can help you further with Long Island touring just send me a pm. Thanks.
Tom and Christine
2000 Bounder 34T
Life is Good!

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Having been to LI in every type of Vehicle, just too many times, it is the one place I will likely never re-visit - A one hour drive - 25 miles can often take 3-4 hours, just too many cars and almost always too much traffic/accidents - TRAIN - Or AIR is the Only way in or OUT.

Just give me something easy like 550 in Colorado - LI - makes you yearn for the Mountains.

JMHO,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Don't think you find a closer campground.
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

Tripalot
Explorer
Explorer
Years ago we took the ferry over to Long Island. We left our vehicle at the ferry terminal and took our tandem bike. It was a great way to see the island. We stayed in friendly B&B's. I must admit though that a lot of those drivers did not like sharing the road with a bike. Maybe now there are bike lanes. Be sure to go out to the end and see Montauk Pt.
2014 Triple E Regency GT24MB (Murphy Bed) with all the good stuff
towing a 2016 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk
Berkley, the amazing camping cat missed dearly (1996-2012)

RVcrazy
Explorer
Explorer
We are currently planning on Aces High. We would just have the truck and stay overnight in a motel on Long Island because of distance. Is there a decent FHU RV park closer to New London and the ferry if we go that route? Thanks!

lbrjet
Explorer
Explorer
Where you at? Or will be at?
2010 F250 4X4 5.4L 3.73 LS
2011 Flagstaff 831FKBSS
Equalizer E4 1200/12000

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
easiest way is to drive your truck.
Second place but not great. Find an RV park outside NYC. Drive to train station and take a train to NY. Take LIRR to a stop such as Ronkonkoma, Patchogue, Mineola. Reserve a car rental from either Enterprise or Hertz. Have them pick you up at station. Plan to spend a night in a motel.

There are a couple of nice RV parks on Long Island but it is hard to get a last minute reservation
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

Fire_Instructor
Explorer
Explorer
Depending on where you are coming from, you can avoid much of what you would consider to be "NYC traffic". Yes, you have to drive in NYC to get to LI, but coming down I-95 from New England or the Hutchenson River Parkway (no trailers on the Hutch) you can hit ether the Throgs Neck Bridge or the Bronx-Whitestone Bridge, and then it's an easy run down the Cross Island Expressway to the LIE.

Now if you want to drive an RV or pull a trailer onto LI, that limits your route options more...

PM me if you want more detail. I travel from Upstate NY to LI usually monthly, and I've figured out most of the good routes and times to travel....
Fire Instructor

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB