cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Erie Canal

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
Heading out for an Erie Canal trip soon, although not exactly in an RV. We've rented a canal boat for a week, but it's similar to an RV with a lot of the same amenities, just no wheels.:D

We'll be visiting towns along the canal from Fairport to Seneca Falls. Starting point is Macedon. The boat comes with bicycles so we have limited transportation, but realistically we're limited to a mile or two from the canal at the most.

Wondering what places folks recommend to see along the way that are close by. I've done the google search, but wondering if any folks have specific recommendations, or if there's sights that don't show up on google.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3
17 REPLIES 17

esyers
Explorer
Explorer
We rented from Mid Lakes several years ago. We enjoyed just wandering around all the little towns. Seneca Falls and Fairport were our favorites. The double lock at Seneca Falls was impressive. It's really 'life in the slow lane' and very relaxing. Enjoy!

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
LJAZ wrote:
We had considered the wineries. Looked like fun, but the rental contract says they don't want you taking the boats onto the lakes so unfortunately they are out. Same with Watkins Glen, although that would take 10 hrs to get there at the boats top speed of 5 mph.
I'm guessing these boats might be a bit tricky to handle in waves and wakes.

The canal boats are long and narrow...if you get beam on to the waves, I wouldn't trust the canal boats...so very logical that they deny access.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
LJAZ wrote:
We had considered the wineries. Looked like fun, but the rental contract says they don't want you taking the boats onto the lakes so unfortunately they are out. Same with Watkins Glen, although that would take 10 hrs to get there at the boats top speed of 5 mph.

I'm not surprised the rental contract wants you to be off the lakes. I've actually been surprised when I've seen these boats out on Cayuga Lake. Ninety percent of the time, the water is fine, but if you don't know these waters and how to read the skies, it is possible to be caught in some pretty nasty stuff.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

nypatnva
Explorer
Explorer
From Seneca Falls you can take the Barge canal to Waterloo the (birthplace of Memorial Day) Geneva on Seneca Lake and go down to Watkins Glen about 50 miles down the lake. You will wish you had more time to see and do it all. Beautiful country this time of year.
2016 dodge ram
champion generator 1978 Serro Scotty Highlander (restored)

SpeakEasy
Explorer
Explorer
You can get into Cayuga Lake, via the canal system. I have a cruising sailboat that I keep on Cayuga Lake, and we see these canal boats from time time to time. There are a few wineries with docks that you can tie up at and go in and get a wine tasting. My favorites for that are Goose Watch, Thirsty Owl, and Sheldrake wineries.

If you do this, you'll go right by my boat, which is moored at the Red Jacket Yacht Club on the west side of the lake about 10 miles down from the north end. Give a toot as you steam by.

-Speak
It's just Mrs. SpeakEasy and me now (empty-nesters). But we can choose from among 7 grandchildren to drag along with us!

2014 F-150 Super Crew Short Bed 3.5L Ecoboost
2014 Flagstaff Micro Lite 23LB

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
richy2 wrote:
Seneca Falls is an interesting stop. The first women's right convention was held there, and a museum is within walking distance dedicated to the cause. There are other museums in downtown as well, including one dedicated to the movie "It's a Wonderful Life". Seneca Falls was once a thriving industrial town that produced water pumps, knit goods, etc.
Although there are many nice days in the fall, the weather seems to start deteriorating after Labor Day, more gloomy and rainy days.
I speak as a former New Yorker who lived nearby and now live in Florida.
BTW there are many wineries in the area, it may be worthwhile to rent a vehicle and explore the beautiful countryside.

We are planning to stop in Seneca Falls. We will stop at all of the towns along the route that have docks, most of which have free shore power as well. The boat only makes 5 to 6 mph so Seneca Falls is about as far as we can go unless we spend all day cruising.

Thanks all for the suggestions.
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
JoeH wrote:
That sounds like fun--- who did you rent the boat from ?

We rented from Mid Lakes Navigation. They are in Macedon about 25 miles SE of Rochester. They have several boat sizes available. We rented the smallest which is 34'.
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

richy2
Explorer
Explorer
Seneca Falls is an interesting stop. The first women's right convention was held there, and a museum is within walking distance dedicated to the cause. There are other museums in downtown as well, including one dedicated to the movie "It's a Wonderful Life". Seneca Falls was once a thriving industrial town that produced water pumps, knit goods, etc.
Although there are many nice days in the fall, the weather seems to start deteriorating after Labor Day, more gloomy and rainy days.
I speak as a former New Yorker who lived nearby and now live in Florida.
BTW there are many wineries in the area, it may be worthwhile to rent a vehicle and explore the beautiful countryside.

nypatnva
Explorer
Explorer
the NYS canal corporation has a great post(s) on Facebook at times.
2016 dodge ram
champion generator 1978 Serro Scotty Highlander (restored)

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Can't believe is was almost 10yrs ago that we ran the canal. Great trip.

See our blog for our time on the canal.

https://valhalla433.wordpress.com/2009/07/10/week-95-ny-verplanck-to-waterford-erie-canal/
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
That sounds like fun--- who did you rent the boat from ?
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
We did the Canal trip out of Lockport: Low bridge everybody down...
Much of the canal has a bike trail next to it which we rode some years back. It could be more than a mile if you chose to do it. Do five miles each way from the boat everyday if possible.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

John___Christin
Explorer
Explorer
How about using an Uber to get further into town?
For Sale:Twin Ultra Power HD 6 volt batteries in excellent condition. Very similar to Trojan T-105's. Located in MA. Email Brazenheadbeer@gmail.com