cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

F.D. Roosevelt State Park in Georgia

imadtchmn
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone stay at Roosevelt state park in Georgia? We have a 38 foot 5th wheel and am wondering which loop is the best for this.
1998 Chevy 6.5 TB Dually maxed out for power
2004 Dutchmen Classic 33RLK
DH George
DW Sherry
Dog Lady
7 REPLIES 7

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
We have visited FDR many times. We really like the lake front pull throughs (loop 1) that offer plenty of room for a 38' fiver, sites (103, 105, 107, 109). We would rather stay in the lake front pull throughs but if not available, then a few sites in loop 3. Loop 5 by the back gate is ok for some but we didn't like it as well as the lake area. Here is a pic of our sites during a earlier Christmas Holiday.

imadtchmn
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a good idea. Wish more parks would use color coding. Hate it when someone reserves a 20 ft site for tent camping, then takes a 50 foot slot.
DH George
DW Sherry
Dog Lady

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
the only thing with coming in the back gate is you have to go through the entire park to get to the office to check in and then back through park to get set up. I just come in front first time, and then usually went in and out the back afterward. I am a sure enough flatlander and the hill in the park didn't bother me too much because I knew I was expected to go slow and anybody following me should be going slow too.

I forgot to mention site number posts are color-coded and you have to know the code to be sure you get in the right size site.
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Area 5 would be my choice. Stay out of area 4 & 6, to many trees with low branches and sharp corners. I have gone up to the office through the campground before, but donโ€™t think one way is any better than the other. Always use the back gate while camped for trips into Pine Mountain.
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

imadtchmn
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you both for the information. I also read somewhere it is best to come in the back gate off of rt 354 since that has an easier hill to climb. True?
DH George
DW Sherry
Dog Lady

wxtoad
Explorer
Explorer
We were at FDR a few years and enjoyed our stay. We had a nice site down by the lake. If you're interested in an overall impression of the campground, here are some pictures and comments.

Have a great trip!
WxToad
2005 Lazy Daze 26.5 Rear Bath
NE13

wannavolunteerF
Explorer
Explorer
There are a few sites as you first enter the campground (pull throughs in loop 1) and then some in loop 2 and 3, plus almost all in Loop 5. Loop 5 is probably the easiest to get into, although there are some that are easy to get into in the other loops. Be sure you reserve a 40 ft site. FDR allows you to reserve site type (15, 25 or 40 ft) so you can be sure you have a large enough site. I think Loop 5 is a bit more spread out, but it is up hill and away from lake and the rest of the campground. I have stayed in Loop 5 and Loop 2 at different times. Once I wanted to be nearer lake and once I wanted more space and to be close to bathhouse for children in tent on my site. (Yes, in GA State Parks, you can put a tent on your site along with your RV if there is room.)
2015 FR Georgetown 378TS