cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Favorite State Park in Virginia

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
DH and I are history buffs. We have a 32'Georgie Boy Pursuit MH with toad. We recently moved to Va and want to explore the state parks with campgrounds. Any suggestions as to which ones have best CGs, and are located within reasonable distance to historical areas? Would want at least 35' site with W/E, (sewered even better!), at least 30 amp service. Thanks in advance.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!
10 REPLIES 10

ljr
Explorer III
Explorer III
AlabamaTraveler wrote:
Hungry Mother............

My opinion isnโ€™t worth much since Iโ€™ve only been to one VA state park but X2. Iโ€™ve been spending a week or two there each year for a long time.
Larry

charming
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the info, Virginia transplant here and former Westmoreland county resident. Thinking back many years, great memories of Westmoreland and Pocahontas State Parks. I have a fairy stone I was given by a friend from that area many years ago. I mentioned to my husband we need to spend a few days near Richmond on our next adventure north.
Looking forward to new adventures and new friends.

AlabamaTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
Hungry Mother............
Lawrence, Dianne "Roll Tide"

2_Retired
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for so much useful info. Appreciated very much.
Two young retirees restless to GO!
Life is too short to wait too long to do all we want to do!!
Go and enjoy!!

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
Douthat and Hungry Mother get my vote.

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2 on Pocahontas. We used it as a base for going into Richmond. Library of Virginia, etc.
We did a short day tour through the northern neck area this spring. Lots of history there. I follow the Northern Neck of Virginia Historical Society on Facebook. Interesting stuff. Both sides of my family are from the area, about 300+ years ago.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We enjoyed Chippokes Plantation State Park. Water and electric hookups. You are near Wlliamsburg,Yorktown and Jamestown. There is a free ferry across the James River that drops you off right at Jamestown. We also liked Pocohantas State Park. We had a nice pull through site with W&E.There are also some real nice Federal Campgrounds in Virginia. We like Sherando Lake and Goose Point on Philpott Lake.

pinesman
Explorer
Explorer
In the central part of the state, James River State Park is my favorite. It is much newer and roomier than Holiday Lake, Bear Creek, or Twin Lakes. We have a 38' fiver and there is only one site that would be tight at James River. The other three do not have many sites that we can fit into.

USAFBILL
Explorer
Explorer
Breaks Interstate Park, Haysi, Virginia is special
2003 Cougar 285EFS
2000 Chev 2500 Ex Cab

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Since youre in Montross, hopefully you have been to Stratford hall. Also catch the ferry from Reidsville and hit Tangier Island for a day. Yorktown and Williamsburg are also close, For some spots a little farther Petersburg Battlefield is worth a visit, Powhatan, Bear Creek lake and Twin Lakes State Parks are all within an hour or so driving wise. Appomattox, and Lynchburg are a nice trip and the Holiday Lake State Park is close by,
South you have Staunton Battlefield State Park with the story of the old men and boys battle, and Staunton River State park is just a couple miles away.
Harpers Ferry is well known, and numerous places to stay near there.
For somewhere quiet, and during the dead of winter a wonderful stay is the rental cabins at Fairystone state park. Old CCC built log cabins with stone hearth's and the park is nearly empty. About $80 a night and did I say quiet, no tv, no cell coverage, quiet.
And dont forget NC parks ,