cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Florida Everglades CG

oldcarfun
Explorer
Explorer
We are seniors thinking about going to Florida next April. We want to do the complete touristy stuff. Where is a good place to stay near the everglades? Thanks
Oldcarfun
2009 Itasca Suncruiser 35L
2005 Jeep GC Toad
7 REPLIES 7

oldcarfun
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you to everyone. The planning is half the fun!
Oldcarfun
2005 Jeep GC Toad

agesilaus
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be careful to observe the speed limit going thru the reservation there on 41. The actual main cg in the park is all the way down at the tip of the state, the entry road is near Homestead. It is a big cg and was dry camping tho I think I heard that they added power to at least some of the spots.
It may be possible to get a reservation in April which is the end of the winter 'season'
As for Midway you aren't far from the cypress loop drive which that time of year could have many nesting water birds. Shark Valley is worth a stop to do the loop trail, either the tram or rent bikes. You'll see a LOT of unafraid gators. A real experience for northerners. Another good gator viewing area is Myakka State park inland from Sarasota. And possibly that Cypress Loop road, we went thru once during gator mating season and one pond was packed with gators.
On US 41 in Ochopee FL, on the west half of the road, you'll see the worlds smallest post Office. It was run my my wife's great grand mother for decades.

And lastly there are a number of places to take air boat tours along 41.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
Word to the wise: water moccasins; gators that are able to outrun humans; mosquitoes.... be prepared.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

JoeH
Explorer III
Explorer III
Midway is good--- as it's name implies, it's about midway between the east and west coasts. Not to far from Shark Valley which is a great stop. Loop Road is a must drive if you go.
Another option is Collier-Seminole State park. FHU, it's on the west coast side of US 41 near Naples. Just outside the park is Corey Billie's airboat ride. He's a great guy and will give you a good ride. Big Cypress Bend board walk is in the general area and worth a visit. If you want to visit the southern area of the park , we stay at Miami-everglades RV park near Homestead for the FHU and then drive to Flamingo. Stop at everglades alligator farm on the way as well as "Robert is Here" road side fruit stand. ... and if you are that far south, go ahead and drive down thru the keys and if you go all the way toward key West, stay at Bluewater Key RV resort , You won't be disappointed.
Joe
2013 Dutch Star 4338- all electric
Toad is 2015 F-150 with bikes,kayaks and Harley aboard

steveh27
Explorer
Explorer
I stayed at Midway for 3 days & it was OK. No showers.

I've stayed at Long Pine CG inside the glades. I liked it. It has no electricity so I used portable solar panels. It has solar showers so use them after some sun, and toilets. The problem now is that a private concession is running it and no longer gives the 50% discount to the Senior Pass. That is not right.

oldcarfun
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you!
Oldcarfun
2005 Jeep GC Toad

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Midway Campground on US-41, the Tamiami Trail, is a National Park Service electric only campground in the Big Cypress National Preserve next door to the Everglades. It's a very popular campground, so reservations are highly recommended.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate