cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Fort Bragg, Ca RV Parks

Hamnet
Explorer
Explorer
Looking forward to our first rv trip to Fort Bragg,Ca. I have seen only a couple places to camp. Anyone have good locations and what you thought of them. Anything feedback would be appreciated. Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Loanshark, I am surprised -- are the folks in the front office new? In our last several trips to Pomo, we have had very good experiences with the staff.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Loanshark53
Explorer
Explorer
We just spent a week at Pomo Campground. It has great facilities and features. If only the attitude of the people at the front office wasn't as unaccommodating, it might have been more enjoyable.

Right from check in to check out, everybody we dealt with had a piss poor attitude, showing no friendliness or respect for you as a paying customer!

We met several other couples there who all voiced the same opinion.

I will not stay here again. Too many options in the area.
Loanshark
Homebase - Roseville, CA
2016 K-Z Durango Gold G380 FLF
2015 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Diesel
Reese Manual Slide 5th Wheel hitch

diveman52
Explorer
Explorer
Just got back from a week at Pomo, wonderful park.
Be sure to visit Glass Fire just north of pomo
40+ Years in Electrical construction.
Retired IBEW Local 595
Every Days Saturday
2008 Newmar Dutch Star 4035

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
RognBon wrote:
Posted By wrote:
As a note if you ride bicycles, don't bother to ride in the park as they are not allowed. We don't camp at RV parks all that much but have never heard of bikes not being able to be ridden. We wanted to ride into town but it's really stupid to have to walk your bike out to go for a ride somewhere else.

This statement is simply not true. The only restrictions for bike riding in the park is the steep hill on the second loop and through the dump station. The reason for this is that there is a blind spot for through traffic at the bottom of the hill. When our kids were young they rode their bikes regularly throughout the park as do our grandkids now. Also, I am curious to know which site you had, because we have been to Pomo three times since June and have never seen the situation you describe regarding junk and old tarps covering stuff.

We were in site 20 or 21 and it was the site behind us to the right 31 or 32. There was junk piled on top of the 5th wheel that you could see from our site as well as the road that goes past the dump station. You couldn't see the junk behind the 5th wheel from the road since there was a boat and truck parked in front of the 5th wheel blocking view.
Maybe I read the rules wrong but when you sign in and get your park map and policy brochure I thought for sure it stated in there no bicycle riding. We had bikes with us intending on riding into Ft Bragg as it's a right up the hwy. I guess they need to make things more clear.

Update; I double checked our trip journal that the wife keeps. We were in site 21, so site 31 was the one with all the junk piled on top of the 5th wheel as well as behind it.
Also we always keep CG/RV park literature and I looked where it says no bicycles. It's at the bottom on the page with the map. I shows a bicycle in a circle with a slash thru it, which usually means not allowed. Well I looked more closely at the map and you were right, there are 3 spots with that circled slash. 2 at the entrance and exit to the dump station and 1 more at the entrance to the road the our site was on. I guess we could've rode out the other way and looped around. Oh well our bad I guess.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't like RV parks, generally. But we like Pomo. When we are in the area, we generally boondock in the Jackson State Forest. But Pomo is well-located, and there are times when hookups can be really nice -- I hate to admit it.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
Posted By wrote:
As a note if you ride bicycles, don't bother to ride in the park as they are not allowed. We don't camp at RV parks all that much but have never heard of bikes not being able to be ridden. We wanted to ride into town but it's really stupid to have to walk your bike out to go for a ride somewhere else.

This statement is simply not true. The only restrictions for bike riding in the park is the steep hill on the second loop and through the dump station. The reason for this is that there is a blind spot for through traffic at the bottom of the hill. When our kids were young they rode their bikes regularly throughout the park as do our grandkids now. Also, I am curious to know which site you had, because we have been to Pomo three times since June and have never seen the situation you describe regarding junk and old tarps covering stuff.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Hated Promo. Stayed their Sept this year. Check in lady was cranky. We were put in a spot next to full timers where one had junk piled on the roof of his 5'er. His spot was covered with old stuff covered with torn tarps. Unfortunately we have a large back window and the view out the corner of it was that site. We could've traded spots but because we were going to stay for 4 nights we would've had to move during our 4 night stay. The roads around it are paved but the sites are gravel. I read reviews on the RVparkreviews.com and most seemed to like it. So we tried it. Just don't get it. I guess it's like any other RV park review you read. There are definitely subjective.
IMO it's an overrated park.

Hamnet
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for your input. I think we will stay at Pomo then investigate the others while we are there.

Rocky2
Explorer
Explorer
If you can be a little farther south, consider the state parks near Mendocino. I like Van Damne as much as MacKerricher.

deleted-2
Explorer
Explorer
Pomo is definitely the easiest and nicest away from the beach.

$45 a night FHU and 2 bucks each for dogs.

We are going over this coming week.

RognBon
Explorer
Explorer
If you can live without hook-ups, then MacKerricher state park a couple of miles North of town is great for a rig your size. Otherwise, the only place I would recommend is Pomo which is just South of town. We have driven through Casper Beach RV park, but it is just too close quarters for us.
RognBon
1997 Monaco Dynasty 40'
Cummins 8.3 325 HP
2008 Ford Edge Toad

outdoorlovers
Explorer
Explorer
Another vote for Pomo - the best!!!
2012 Dodge Ram 2500, Cummins turbo diesel, 6 speed, 4X4, tow package
2014 Jayco FW Eagle HT 26.5 RLS
Yamaha EF2400iS gen

Pangaea_Ron
Explorer
Explorer
We loved this RV Park on the beach

Caspar Beach Rv Park
2008 Itasca SunCruiser 35L
2014 Honda AWD CR-V EX-L

Robbies_grandpa
Explorer
Explorer
We always stay at Pomo RV Park. Large private sites and very clean.