cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Gasoline Cans, Progresso Nuevo

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone know if you can buy a gasoline can in Progresso Nuevo that has the old, simple spout? IE, no govt mandated auto shutoff?
15 REPLIES 15

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
I have one of those siphon hoses in my truck box. I use it to empty the 5 gallon diesel container into my truck tank. I just sit it on the truck box, start the siphon, and wait til it is empty. Much easier than when I used to have to hold the heavy jerry can while it emptied through a small spout.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
This is the first I have read about this. Glad I still have a selection of different size cans. I also have two or three of these siphon hoses. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

Queens_Carriage
Explorer
Explorer
The border people probably treat the old type cans the same way they did r12 Freon. They made you take the r12 back.

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
Well, surely, the Mexicans haven't fallen for this nonsense. I'm going to check Progresso Nuevo. Or maybe they buy gas cans from USA?

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
5thwheeleroldman wrote:
wiltoad, how did you fix it? Drill the guts out of the inside of the nozzle? Maybe try that instead.

Depends on what type. The one I had just had to break off a plastic part. Had to move a lever (A) that allowed you to press down on spring loaded part (B). If you let go of part (B) you had to start all over. I got rid of part (A).
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
The newer gas cans are a sore point with me also. JUNK! Of course they were mandated by CARB (California Air Regulation Board). This summer everywhere we stopped I always looked in stores for something else. In Dillon, MT. I was in a farm and ranch store looking and a friendly clerk came up and asked if I needed help. Told him what I had been looking for and he chuckled and said "yes, you and everybody else, including myself. What you see is all we can get". I googled gas caps. Came up with this You Tube flick,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNWP2b3Timc
watch it, it is funny and check out the air vent. Told a friend back East about the gas can situation and he started looking as he had two old good cans. He said yep those new ones are junk. He went to a local Friday night auction a couple of weeks ago and saw an old can in good shape with a good spout. When the auctioneer brought it up for sale they added a leaf blower and something else. He bought the lot of three for $22.00. Outside as he was putting the stuff in the bed of his truck a fellow came up and said, "you paid $22.00 for those three things, I'll give you $22.00 for just the gas can". Nope my friend said. Then he goes home goes to Ebay. You guys check out the good old cans and spouts and look at the bids. Unbelievable.

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
RoyB wrote:
Starting to see some of these THIN gas containers around the jeep world now... The several different mounting capabilities are making these very popular

Roy Ken
I had one of those Kolpin 5 gallon cans on my ATV. I laid it flat on the front rack. All it did was leak around the cap. I called and complained. They sent me a couple more caps/spouts. All they did was leak also. Worthless piece of junk. Wish I had never wasted the money..

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
wiltoad, how did you fix it? Drill the guts out of the inside of the nozzle? Maybe try that instead.

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hate these new spouts. What problem are they trying to solve? I "Fixed" the last one I bought so I can simply remove the cap and out comes gas.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

daily_double
Explorer
Explorer
Those thin ones look great, but I can't imagine the cost! I think the old fashioned ones are about $20 now.

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer
Royb, but do they have the auto shutoffs that I hate so?

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Starting to see some of these THIN gas containers around the jeep world now... The several different mounting capabilities are making these very popular

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

pawatt
Explorer
Explorer
More likely at some of the Mexican Flea Markets
pawatt

5thwheeleroldma
Explorer
Explorer