cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Good Camping Spots in Texas

HawkTX
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of taking off a week and taking the family somewhere. We live near Dallas and was wondering if anyone had some nice RV park/resorts in and around Texas they recommend for a week long trip. Would like something on the water with some nice scenery. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
11 REPLIES 11

jkmac408
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Garner State Park on the Frio river at Leakey Tx.
Kenneth

HawkTX
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone. The wife and I are looking at all these. We appreciate the input.

patperry2766
Explorer II
Explorer II
Texas camping

Another thread going with alot of the same recommendations
Courage is the feeling you have right before you fully understand the situation

Javi1
Explorer
Explorer
We're headed to Lake Tawakoni State Park for a few days of fishing next weekend.

Other SP we like are Goose Island, Caddo and Tyler.
2015 Keystone Cougar 333MKS
2015 Ford F-350XL 6.7 CC, DRW, RWD
(Finally enough tow vehicle 14,000 GVWR 6062 payload)

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
We like the Kerrville Schreiner Park in Kerrville. It has two sides, the river side and the hill side, divided by the highway. We prefer the larger quieter hill side, but the river side is right along the Guadalupe River.
All FHU sites are pull thru, none side by side. They are in a front to rear arrangement along either side of the road so that there is no one directly outside your door or window on either side. Check out their map on their web site.
Lots of deer roam thru the sites (at least on the hill side). Full hookups, but the hill side only has 30 amp if I remember right. Some on river side have 50 amp. Lots of quiet roads and improved trails for both road hiking/biking and off road hiking/biking.
Fishing and swimming in the river. Canoe rental available locally I think.

Home_Skillet
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lake Livingston State Park.
Lots of shade and stuff to keep the kids busy.
2005 Gulf Stream Conquest 31ft
BigFoot Levelers,TST in tire TPMS,Bilstein Shocks,Trans temp guage,Lowrace iWAY

dan-nickie
Explorer
Explorer
Split it up.
Lake Tawakoni State Park a few days fishing.
THen go up the road to Canton at the Mill Creek Ranch RV Resort for some more luxury. nice swimming pools, clubhouse, fishing pond, etc. (make sure it's not First Monday Weekend)
Mill Creek takes the Passport America for 50% off a couple nights.
Dan and Nickie
2014 Forest River Berkshire 390RB

tempforce
Explorer
Explorer
i've stayed here. right on the beachโ€ฆ
http://www.galveston.com/dellanera/

somewhere in the texas 'lost pines'

currently without rv.
'13' Ford Fusion
'83' Ford Ranger with a 2.2 Diesel.
'56' Ford F100, 4.6 32 valve v8, crown vic front suspension.
downsizing from a 1 ton diesel and a 32' trailer, to a 19-21' trailer for the '56'.

bradnailer
Explorer
Explorer
There are several down in the hill country, like Lady Bird Johnson City Park in Fredericksburg, Blanco SP and Inks Lake SP.
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee
2013 Coachmen Freedom Express 233RBS
Prior: Jayco Pop Up, Shasta Bunkhouse, Rockwood Pop Up

jjjandrbaker
Explorer
Explorer
Meridian State Park
Jim Baker
San Antonio, TX
travel blog and photos

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at Cleburne SP, Lake Mineral Wells, Lake Benbrook & Cedar Hill SP. What about Lake Texoma at Burns Run East it has a few FHU sites and is fairly small park. It is a COE park most of the sites are water view. This park on the website you can see what the sites look like and looking at Google Earth helps.

Sharon