cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Idaho Campground

bettye
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking for a campground in southern Idaho, perhaps along I-84, or Hwy 20. We've always driven through Idaho to get elsewhere, but are wanting to stay a while now and explore. Would like something with a little elbow room. Water is not mandatory, just a nice spot to kick up our heels for a while. Clear skies would be nice for satellite reception. We have a 35' Class A.

Thanks in advance.
Betty & Jim
2004 Allegro Bay 34XB
13 REPLIES 13

RGar974417
Explorer
Explorer
We were at Yellowstone in May and went in the west entrance because the south entrance wasn't open. We went past a nice lake with what appeared to be a nice campground right next to the highway. Not sure if it was at Henry's lake or Island Resivoir.

punomatic
Explorer
Explorer
We loved the Mountain Home RV Park just east of Boise. Very friendly, helpful staff and an immaculate park. They even let us wash our rig!
DW and Me
2016 Riverside White Water Retro 195
2014 Nissan Titan SL Crew Cab
Formerly, I used to work for the department of redundancy department.

Life in Black and Blue

donkeydew
Explorer
Explorer
ambassador rv park is a great park right off I-84 and 20 in Caldwell.
a fairly new park.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I'm late too, but if hookups aren't necessary, the opportunities for primitive camping are limitless in Idaho. The upper south fork canyon east of Featherville is close to highway 20 and has some great scenery. Or if you've got time head up towards Stanley.

No reason to stay in some cramped campground when you've got so many great options to enjoy some solitude and scenery.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Deleted_per_op
Explorer
Explorer
I know I'm late on this..... We just spent a week at Ponderosa State Park. It was our first time at an Idaho state park. It was gorgeous and immaculately maintained. It's very popular for good reason!
Dave

morley
Explorer
Explorer
My vote for Three Islands also, we stayed there on our way to Yellowstone in 2008.
2008 Topaz F254SS 26 ft.
2009 Chevy Silverado, 2500HD, Duramax, Allison Tranny, 4x4, EC
250 watt solar panel system, BlueSky controller and remote

bigB42
Explorer
Explorer
we stay at arco koa very nice park and nice hosts,craters of the moon lots of history on nuclear power in america
ken

mockturtle
Explorer II
Explorer II
I agree with Three Island Crossing SP. Beautiful park with interesting historical features. Water & electric sites with central dump station.

Addendum: I visited Craters of the Moon last year and was very disappointed. The campground was cramped and the scenery was uninspiring.
2015 Tiger Bengal TX 4X4
Chevy 3500HD, 6L V8

bobsallyh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Heyburn, ID. City Park. About 2 miles south of I-84. Very nice, FHU. Along the Snake River. $21.00 multiple days Good Sam or Old Farts. $22.00 otherwise. Rock Creek County Park, Twin Falls, ID. $15.00 a night water and electric. Dump station nearby. North Bingham County RV Park, Exit 108 I-15 Shelly, ID. $20.00 a night. Water and Electric, dump station in park. About 2 miles off I-15 and on the Snake River. There are several RV parks on US 20 going towards Yellowstone out of Idaho Falls, ID. Haven't stayed in any of those other than where we are now, Valley View RV Park, Island Park, ID.

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
In addition to Ponderosa State Park, there are several other camping opportunities along Hwy 55, including several campgrounds in Cascade Lake State Park.

Just a half hour west of the Idaho/Oregon border is Farewell Bend State Park, part of the Oregon park system. They have electric and water hookups and a dump station.

kknowlton
Explorer II
Explorer II
x2 on Three Island Crossing. Wide grassy, shady sites with electric & water hookups, and there is a dump station. Historic area (Oregon Trail). I'd suggest staying in several different locations, as there is a different "flavor" in each one.

Two other good state parks along I-84 (or reachable from it) include Massacre Rocks, just west of American Falls (though not many sites available for large rigs) and Bruneau Dunes SP, south of Mountain Home, in sw Idaho - interesting large sand dunes in the park, and an astronomical telescope in the park as well; on weekend nights, volunteers come to open it to the public, and often bring their own smaller telescopes. Great & interesting program. You may need to make reservations; some of these parks can get filled up, especially on weekends. Idaho takes reservations for its state parks via ReserveAmerica, I believe up to 9 months in advance.

Craters of the Moon National Monument, on US 20, has a campground - very open, unique terrain, no shade, no hookups. Large rigs apparently will have some trouble negotiating the CG, though some sites will be large enough. Definitely dark skies there!

If you prefer private campgrounds, Mountain Home RV Park is an excellent place - exceptionally clean & nice. Along US 20, the Arco KOA is a nice CG as well, and fairly quiet - not right along the road (several blocks away) and not even near a RR track! ๐Ÿ™‚ Amenities include some shade, an evening ice cream social and morning (free) waffle breakfast.

Farther north, Ponderosa SP is a gorgeous gem. And VERY popular; you will need reservations there for sure. Also good advice about Yellowstone & the Tetons being close to s.e. Idaho.
2020 Toyota Tundra CrewMax 5.7L V8 w/ tow pkg, Equal-i-zer
2020 Lance 2375

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Idaho is a secret to most RVers. It's an amazing state to explore.

You mention I-84 and Hwy 20...don't stop there. Take 95 up to McCall and stop at Ponderosa State Park to explore.

Another area would be the Stanley area via 75 from Twin Falls. This is the beautiful Sawtooth Mountain Nat'l Recreation area. There are many campgrounds and many forest service campgrounds right along the Salmon River - excellent trout fishing up there and lovely mountain vistas.

The area south of I-84 and looping around on I-86/I-15 can be very hot in summer, including the Boise area. You need to travel further north in Idaho for cool temperatures.

Keep in mind that if you get to Idaho Falls it's not very far to West Yellowstone via Hwy 20 or to Jackson, WY/Grand Teton Nat'l Park via 26 from Idaho Falls.

...so many wonderful things to check out in the area. Have fun!
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

TUCQUALA
Explorer
Explorer
Three Island Crossing State Park is a very nice spot. It is just south of Glenns Ferry, ID and easy on and off of I84. Lots of shade, and pretty quiet usually!!
'16 Outdoors Timber Ridge 280RKS
Reese 1700# Trunnion w/ DualCam HP
'03 EXCURSION XLT V10 4.30 Axles