cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Looking for RV park west of Wash DC near train to city

Skyfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Wondering if anyone has a recommendation for a RV park on the west side of D.C. that is near train transportation into the city. Thanks, Lee
23 REPLIES 23

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
I stayed at Greenbelt NP recently. It's about a half hour (fairly brisk) walk to the College Park metro station. The park itself seemed safe enough to me, and the general neighborhood is not bad. No hookups, but the fees are very, very reasonable at $16 per night. When I was there over Thanksgiving week, the campground was nearly empty; I could not see another camper from my site for all but the first night.

Greenbelt is north or northeast of the city center, but is quite readily accessible from the beltway.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Bull Run Regional Park is west of DC appears to be about 20 minutes from VRE train station. Maybe a viable solution?
19'Duramax w/hips,12'Open Range,Titan Disc Brake
BD3,RV safepower,22" Blackstone
Ox Bedsaver,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,5500 Onan LP,Prog.50A surge,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan,Sailun S637
Correct Trax,Splendide

carl2591
Explorer III
Explorer III
We drove around the Greenbelt CG Sept of this year and the place is way back off the road. The police station was right by the entrance and they drove around a lot. Not impossible to have a problem but really hard to do and they do close the gate at dark, no in or out.

While the place has no hookups the sites were spacious and during summer lots of shade. Water was somewhat close by and dump station on site.

Bath houses were older but in good condition with hot showers, sink, and toilets. The place is full of deer and birds and maybe other animals we did not see.

Lots of shade so solar may be tough. Not far from Greenbelt metro station into city. The bus line runs on main street outside park and goes directly to train station. You could drive or walk to metro or ride bikes it not that far. (2.5 miles) but be prepared to pay to park at station.

best way is to drive to front of park and lv vehicle in parking area, walk across street and get bus #16 heading to train station. coming back it stop of other side of road in same area as entrance to park.
Carl2591, Raleigh NC
2005 Airstream Classic 31D
2003 Ford F-250 SD, CC, 7.3L modded diesel machine
Every day is a new day with potential to be life changing.

NCWriter
Explorer
Explorer
As is often the case, you get what you pay for. If you are looking for a well-managed park with easy access to the Metro trains, Cherry Hill is right by the Beltway to the northeast of the city in a close-in suburb, and provides excellent information for visitors as well as a small restaurant and full RV services. A bus leaves from the RV park entrance to the Metro Station. Or you can drive to the station and park.

If you must be west of DC you will only find places beyond the Beltway further out into the Virginia suburbs, which will mean lower prices but longer commutes into town. A possibility not mentioned before is Prince William Forest Park's RV park with electricity or the dry campgrounds inside the park, about an hour SW near Quantico.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cherry Hill is the one most only know about but it is NOT the only game in or near town. It is by far the most expensive.

To the west & not far from the Metro is Reston, Lake Fairfax Park @$45PN 30amp & 50amp, not close to the roar of any highway.

Out a bit further but still not too far from the end of the Metro is Bull Run Regional Park, Manasses. $45PN. Feels like a SP way out in the woods somewhere.
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

Etstorm
Explorer
Explorer
Cherry Hill is on the high side but like he said, they have everything. Very clean and well kept, gated, very attentive staff.

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cherry Hill is the most popular, they have a bus direct to the Metro train station. They also sell Metro passes. You need to worry about CG security in the DC area and Cherry Hill is gated.

I understand there are some CG south of DC in VA but I don't know anything about them.
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper

LewBob
Explorer
Explorer
I don't know about the west side, but on the north side is Greenbelt Park, a National Park site (no hookups), convenient to College Park, MD, and the Metro station there (about 10-minutes' drive).

Lew

2015 Casita Freedom Deluxe
2012 Ford F-150 XLT SuperCrew 4x4 EcoBoost
"Wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then." --Bob Seger (Against the Wind)

dalenoel
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cherry Hill Park is the only one I know. Close to transportation right from the park. The cost might seem high but they have everything.
03 Monaco Neptune 36PBD DP - 18 Focus Toad
Wife, myself, and Oreo the Malshi