cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost Treasures & Other Cool Finds

Got_Dirt_
Explorer
Explorer
I almost always find somethin' cool while out roaming God's Country. How 'bout you?

Here's somethin' cool I found recently. If you lost it too bad! Finders keepers!

40 REPLIES 40

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
Ah yes, the old artifact vs junk (garbage) theme. Kinda like the petroglyphics vs graffiti. 🙂

jandjbaums
Explorer
Explorer
Wow you got to be kidding me? Nobody has ever picked up a cool looking rock or a piece of driftwood and taken it home? Everytime I take the quad out I bring a garbage bag with me and fill it with garbage that fellow campers have discarded in the forest. Guess I better turn myself into the police dept. right away!
  • 07 Toyota Tacoma double cab
  • 2011 Stellar 18cb TH

Off_Pavement
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here is BLM's collection page for your enjoyment...

BLM - Collecting On Public Lands
The Road To Paradise Is NOT Paved!
Please Support Multiple Use of our Public Lands!

Brian Hoag
www.rv-camping.org
'10 Sunseeker Class C - Gozer II
'13 Jeep JKU (Wrangler) - Billie

Got_Dirt_
Explorer
Explorer
People leave stuff in the desert all the time. Last year I hauled out of the desert a sofa and a shot up water heater. Should I have left it there? I clean up what others leave behind. I haul out more than I bring in. Just what I do. Sometimes you find something - one man's junk is another man's treasure.

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, so this thread is a bit confusing. It is fine if you find something in the woods that obviously abandoned, but... you better be sure. I am assuming that is what you mean?

Hiking through the woods in Vermont and Connecticut we always come upon junk deep in the woods. Since colonial times, people would just dump their garbage and trash in a spot out behind their house / cabin. Walk along any of the thousands of old rock walls deep in the woods and you will probably come upon an old household garbage dump area. Old farm implements, horse drawn field rakes, cutters, plows, etc are just sitting out there abandoned many times with trees growing through their frames. Remember most of New England was farm fields after the 1700s, most of the woods you see today are only around 100 years old or younger.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some places have signs that indicates if you remove artifact items from the area you may be cursed and have bad luck... I have seen this is Arizona...

When you start seeing old settlers floating around your house looking for their milk can I would figure out a way to get it back where you found it pretty quick...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

Mfan
Explorer
Explorer
Probably the words, "if you lost it, to bad".

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
How do you know he didn't buy it at a flea market somewhere?
Puma 30RKSS

darsben
Explorer II
Explorer II
Let me see a person who takes things that do not belong to them.
With the morals that state if you lose something or leave it in plain sight then I will take it and feel no remorse for you.
I will also take things that do not belong to me so others cannot have the joy of discovering it.and wondering how it got where it was and thinking about the history of it and talking with your children about it.

AS YOU SEE I OBJECT TO YOUR LACK OF CONSIDERATION OF OTHER PEOPLE ON THE PLANET.

My advice return it to where it has sat for the past 50-60 years or do you need the money that bad?
Traveling with my best friend my wife!

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
Some folks may think that milk can is cool ... but not necessarily all of us.

I helped my dad on his milk route when we had to pick up full ones from old barns and carry them over (sometimes uphill) to his truck - in freezing winter weather in Michigan farm country. Later I worked summers in a dairy unloading them off a conveyor belt and dumping them into a big tank.

As I recall, these activities weren't too cool back then. 🙂
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Got_Dirt_
Explorer
Explorer
Oh yeah, FYI - it's illegal to remove artifacts from public lands. Just saying....