cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Moccasin Creek State Park, GA

garmp
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone trout fish at Moccasin Creek State Park? Thinking about including this in our September trip and am looking for some personal insight. Both out of state retired seniors that like to trout fish. The regs for that park are hard to find and a bit vague, at least to me. Thought I check here before talking to someone in charge so I at best seem to know what I'm talking about.
thanks
Our 2351D Phoenix Cruiser, Jack, has turned us from campers into RVers and loving it!
4 REPLIES 4

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you don't qualify for any of the requirements above, head back south from the park on 197 and take a right on Wildcat Creek rd. (gravel)nice little trout stream that is regularly stocked. License required of course. There is also forestry service camping up that road. NOT for big rigs of course.
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
garmp1 wrote:
Anyone trout fish at Moccasin Creek State Park? Thinking about including this in our September trip and am looking for some personal insight. Both out of state retired seniors that like to trout fish. The regs for that park are hard to find and a bit vague, at least to me. Thought I check here before talking to someone in charge so I at best seem to know what I'm talking about.
thanks

Oh yes, there's fishing. Last time I was there, there was a special heavily stocked segment of the creek where fishing is restricted to children, handicapped, and SENIORS! Tons of fun.
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
garmp1 wrote:
thanks

They do require a license and you can buy a temp or a yearly. They follow the Georgia Dept of Natural Resources regs at that department's website. A search for "2017 Georgia fishing regulations" will pull up the website.

The campground is located right next to a trout hatchery and there are periodic releases. But they stopped giving out the dates because too many show up and fish it out in two days. It's a very popular fishing spot.

The campground has a fish cleaning hut. There's a boat ramp on the other side of the hatchery. Quiet and small campground, clean, level sites.

Take a trip into Dillard north of the campground and Clayton if you have a chance. Dillard House Restaurant has good food. Rabun Gap-Nacoochee School is there where the Foxfire Books were written and published. Fantastic mountain landscapes too. Take your car (not your RV) up to the top of Black Mountain State Park just north of Clayton for great views.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

Retired_JSO
Explorer
Explorer
The lake burton fish hatchery is right next door to the state park. You'll need a visitor permit to fish the area.