cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Need advice from a veteran Fla. traveler

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
Penny and I are making our first trip to Florida in mid-January. The only places in Fla. I really have on my bucket list are St. Augustine and the Keys. (We won't be doing the Keys this trip.)
I'd like to see places other than the touristy beach areas. She wants to set up a base camp and see sights on day trips as much as possible. I want to see as much of Old Florida as still exists; she has no special interest in going to Fla. and is going mostly because I want to.
We have reservations at Anastasia SP (to tour St. Aug) and Manatee Springs (to see manatees and cross central Florida). DW is balking at moving a third time.
After much back-and-forth, I've concluded her ideal place would be a camp under live oaks, surrounded by orange groves, near (or on) a spring, river or lake, a half-hour from a beach town with Ma and Pa stores and good seafood restaurants all stuck in a 60s time warp.:h
Ah, think James Island with Charleston and Folly Beach nearby, only in Central Florida.
So ... any suggestions?

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."
28 REPLIES 28

sweetnoni
Explorer
Explorer
Old Florida. From the panhandle south to Crystal River.
Cedar Key on the gulf.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Charlie's Seafood has a restaurant on one side and a seafood market on the other.
You can usually get fresh caught Grouper. It also is Stone Crab territory in season.
Charlie's sell what are called Floaters for $5/# x10 pounds. The Freezer has good fresh seafood too.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
Big Katuna wrote:
Rock Crusher is one of our favorites. Be sure to drive out to Ozello. You can't get any more old Florida than that. Eat at Pecks Old Port Cove. Eat at Charlie's Seafood in CR.
Eat at The Freezer in Homosassa. Wonderful area. Try to do a day trip to Cedar Key.

You're the man! DW loves seafood. Where can I buy fresh seafood to fix at the trailer?

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
352 wrote:
Try Facebook and type in Gail Minor Holton or click on my signature. You will not be disappointed.

Great pictures - thanks for sharing.

Looking to make a winter trip to Florida too.
2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

Boldtning
Explorer
Explorer
Rock Crusher Canyon is a great choice. Super park, great area of Florida!
Jeff & Barbie
2010 Keystone Alpine 3500RE
Dodge Ram 3500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4X2 SRW, 6.7L I6 Cummins Turbo Diesel
Crystal River, FL/Dillard, GA/ USA

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
rede2travel wrote:
While in St. Augustine try to eat at Saltwater Cowboys. It's an old fish camp down a road that leads to the marsh. off of A!A turn on DonDanville road go all the way to the end... Fabulous old Florida decor and the food is delicious.

Have you been lately? That description worked 20 years ago. It has been rebuilt and has gone downhill IMHO. overpriced, smaller portions and not as good.

rede2travel
Explorer
Explorer
While in St. Augustine try to eat at Saltwater Cowboys. It's an old fish camp down a road that leads to the marsh. off of A!A turn on DonDanville road go all the way to the end... Fabulous old Florida decor and the food is delicious.
Retired George & Retired wife Diane
2006 Ford F250 Lariat
2005 Keystone Sprinter 278 RLS

noe-place
Explorer
Explorer
We were in St. Augustine in August for a week at Bryn Mawr Resort and made a special trip to see the track at Daytona Raceway. They give different tours depending on your likes. I suggest that as well.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Rock Crusher is one of our favorites. Be sure to drive out to Ozello. You can't get any more old Florida than that. Eat at Pecks Old Port Cove. Eat at Charlie's Seafood in CR.
Eat at The Freezer in Homosassa. Wonderful area. Try to do a day trip to Cedar Key.

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
Penny has decided that Rock Crusher Canyon RV Park will be where we move to after Anastasia SP. It's a Good Sam park so we can get a discount on their already reasonable fee. many of the other suggestions were already booked.

Thanks to all,
Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

dcason
Explorer
Explorer
Manatee springs does not have manatees...we fell for that one the first year. HOWEVER, blue springs does...in spades.
Donna

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks everyone. I'll research these suggestions and make a decision this week.

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
Queens Carriage wrote:
Just remember anything north of Orlando can be cold in January.

Thanks for that tip. Coming south from Va. If it's cold in Fla., we'll be leaving freezing at home. Looking for moderate, sunny days.

Teach
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS

WTTCS
Explorer
Explorer
Do not miss the museum in Flagler Beach and learn about the rr and its impact on Fla.
1997 chev crew cab 454, 5 sp. 4.10