cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

New England states

Gazelle05
Explorer
Explorer
Leaving Wa state going east for. New England fall. Want to see as much of northern region possible before snow falls. Any points of interest that you feel are a must? RV resorts you can recommend? Traveling in 40โ€™ MH with car in tow. Do not want to be in the middle of major cities causing road rage??. Any and all suggestions appreciated.
Thinking West Virginia and North. Thanks
18 REPLIES 18

Bill_Diana
Explorer
Explorer
Click here to view our website.

In 2007 we had a wonderful trip and saw some awesome fall colors. Hope our trip journal and pictures help plan your trip.

Crabbypatty
Explorer
Explorer
Taxachusetts:
-Boston Minuteman CG. They are near the rail into Boston
-Pinewood CG: In Plymouth about an hour south off Boston but you can take the ferry to Provincetown in the Cape
-Cape Cod Camping Resort. In Falmouth, you can walk on the ferry to Marthas Vineyard as well as explore the Cape Area
-Normandy Farms about 45 minutes south of Boston but Ive never been there. Heardmany good things.

New Hampshire:
2x Danforth Bay if you camp there go to Yankee BBQ order the feast. From there you can drive the White Mountains

Maine:
Bar Harbor KOA stop on the causeway to the Island to Trents Lobstah Pound
John, Lisa & Tara:B:C:)
2015 F250 4x4 6.2L 6 spd 3.73s, CC Short Bed, Pullrite Slide 2700, 648 Wts Solar, 4 T-125s, 2000 Watt Xantrax Inverter, Trimetric 2030 Meter, LED Lights, Hawkings Smart Repeater, Wilson Extreme Cellular Repeater, Beer, Ribs, Smoker

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Love Danforth Bay. The Bar Harbor KOA is pricey but has the most incredible sunsets. If you start up north and then head south you can follow the foliage down. The Cape is absolutely gorgeous in the fall and some of the campgrounds stay open past Columbus Day. These sites may be helpful:

https://www.discovernewengland.org/fall-foliage-maps
https://newengland.com/seasons/fall/foliage/live-fall-foliage-map/

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

[purple]RV-less for now but our spirits are still on the open road. [/purple]

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
I meant no problems driving up and down Mt.Washington!
2017 Montana 3611 RL
2012 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
Again, we avoided NE for several years because of comments about driving, parking, congestion, etc. Finally, after research and study using these RV sites, truckers' atlas and so forth traveled there for six weeks in the early fall of 2016. Didn't have the problems mentioned because of research. Drove our chevy 2500 up Mount Washington with problems. Park your rig and then drive the back country. We traveled to Boston from the north and used the Mass Turnpike back to I 81 and then south to Tennessee. Only problem was a head on wreck on the road to Acadia from the east. Got out the truckers atlas and did not follow police who were telling us the route to take.
We lived in Delaware before we started rving and would drive thru NJ and park at the NY Port Authority parking lot on the river across from Manhattan. They provide you with ferry across and special busses running certain routes in Manhattan. Back then it was not expensive and the parking lot was huge. Have not been there for several years so you should research NYPA.
2017 Montana 3611 RL

Busskipper
Explorer
Explorer
Gazelle05 wrote:

Leaving Wa state going east for.

New England fall.

Want to see as much of northern region possible before snow falls.

Any points of interest that you feel are a must?

RV resorts you can recommend?

Traveling in 40โ€™ MH with car in tow.

Do not want to be in the middle of major cities causing road rage??.

Any and all suggestions appreciated.

Thinking West Virginia and North. Thanks

Fall in New England - Biggest issue is finding the spots that will still have a CG Open!

If you are good to Boondock a bit I'd recommend you get as far into the woods as you want (Move to a place up North that works for You) then follow the Color as it moves south.

Having done this - I can say it is Frustrating as it is EXTREMELY unreliable as to dates and time ๐Ÿ˜‰

Upstate NY is GREAT - Think - Ski Resorts - Lake Placid - the area is Beautiful - it is on this side of the River (Hudson) which is a pain to cross, JMHO.

Follow the mountains on Down then Over to PA - again following the Mountains then the Blue Ridge all the way to Say Lake Toxaway.

Issue you will find on the East Coast - Traffic - Trucks - Traffic - Trucks - the Non Interstate roads in the Mountains can be a challenge if you are not a Mountain driver - Tight - Narrow and often just not made for the faint of Heart, or the slightly Crazy RV driver.

Stops will be dictated by Color and finding RV parks Open!

If you have no Plans for the Cities then just stay away from them - there is no easy route to go if New York - Boston - or the I-95 corridor is included.

As you travel I'd break the areas you need info on into Small Sections as the Local Knowledge is critical for both locations and Roads that work.

Not sure I really helped but I think you get the Idea - I tend to try to Be in the Rockies for the End of September and the Aspen - Much more reliable Color and Much easier to travel.

Hope this is of some help, Best of Luck,
Busskipper
Maryland/Colorado
Travel Supreme 42DS04
GX470-FMCA - Travel less now - But still love to be on the Road
States traveled in this Coach

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
Don't miss the city if you are here. You can take the T or even Uber/Lyft into Boston to visit.

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be

Douglas Adams

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
el.jefe wrote:
When you all say to avoid Boston, does that mean altogether or are there places you can camp near enough to make a day trip of the city? I'm headed that way next summer and was thinking about visiting Boston, but it would be in the same way I'd like to show the kids New York City, by camping somewhere in new Jersey maybe and riding the train into the city. Is there anything like that near Boston? Or is it really best to steer clear altogether?

I don't think many (if any) are suggesting one avoid visiting Bostonโ€”just that it's not a good place to drive in, doubly so with a large vehicle. Park or camp somewhere near the city and take public transit in, generally either the T (subway) or commuter rail.

There are a lot of interesting things to see and do in Boston: some really nice museums, theater, historical sites, parks, shopping, and sports, to name just a few. Navigating and driving around the street system is not really on that list, though.

navybanker
Explorer
Explorer
Totally disagree with avoiding Boston except if you drive in. Did New England in 2016 in our fifth wheel. We stayed at Minute Man CG and drove to train station for ride downtown. We toured/walked around the historic area after one of the walking tours. Walked over to Bunker Hill and the USS Constitution. You are near Paul Reviere house and Old North Church. Got lunch at a great Italian place. Also toured Lexington and Concord and enjoyed the history. Totally enjoyed the visit. We are from rural West Tennessee and if we can do it you can!
2017 Montana 3611 RL

el_jefe1
Explorer
Explorer
When you all say to avoid Boston, does that mean altogether or are there places you can camp near enough to make a day trip of the city? I'm headed that way next summer and was thinking about visiting Boston, but it would be in the same way I'd like to show the kids New York City, by camping somewhere in new Jersey maybe and riding the train into the city. Is there anything like that near Boston? Or is it really best to steer clear altogether?
2018 Keystone Passport 3290bh
2007 Chevy Express 3500
Me, the Wife, and a whole bunch of kids

Crowe
Explorer
Explorer
The only major city in New England to absolutely avoid being in the middle of with the motorhome is Boston.

I would avoid ANY of the larger cities such as Springfield, Worcester, Providence, Hartford, Portsmouth, etc. While it's "doable" it's not fun. Boston, though, is absolutely a no-go.

Douglas Adams

mdcamping
Explorer
Explorer
In NH, Danforth Bay Campground is about 45 minute east of most major White Mountain attractions. DB gets great reviews and has lots of amenities. Well run campground, overall clean. large wooded sites for the most part.

Also might want to consider Fransted family campground or Lincoln Woodstock KOA both get great reviews and are more centrally located to all White mountain attractions

Scenic Kancamagus highway is a must drive, but you will be VERY luckie if you see a moose as they are in decline.

In VT check out Quechee Pine KOA centrally located in vt, good reviews,close in interstate.

Hope this helps
Mike
2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercrew GCWR 19,500 157WB
Payload 2476 Maxtow 13,800 3.73 Equalizer 4 Pt Sway Hitch
2017 Jayco Jay Flight 24RBS
Old TV, 07 Toyota Tacoma, Double Cab, Factory Tow Pkg, retired towing at 229K. (Son now owns truck)

Roadpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Of the area from W Virginia to Maine, if you have never been to the northeast, I'd say the Maine coast is a must. Bar Harbor and Acadia National Park (NP). Stay at Bar Harbor CG. Boothebay is nice (Shorehills CG). Day trips to Rockland and Camden. You can see the Kennebunkport and Ogunquit area from Bayley's CG in Scarborough. Portland, NH is great and you could stay at Wakeda CG in Exeter, NH (ask for one of their very long pull thru's.

The Lakes region of NH is fantastics. Meredith Woods CG in Meredith is good. From there day trips to Franconia Notch and across the Kancamagus Highway to Conway, NH.

The best CG to see Boston is Normandy Farms in Foxboro, MA. Take rt. 495 around Boston to Foxboro. Boston is a great walking city. Take the train into it from Normandy Farms.

From there I would head to Lake George, NY and stay at Lake George CG. A lot of history in that area. Lots to see and do. You could take a day trip to the Vermont Teddy Bear Factory and Ben and Jerry's Factory.

I would spend my time between Lake George and Bar Harbor and skip the rest of the northeast if this is your first trip.
Tiffin Wayfarer 25TW
15 Mini Cooper S

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with some of the others on Maine and on avoiding Boston. Look hard at staying in the Portsmouth NH/Kittery Me area either on your way to Acadia or on your way back. This puts you about 50 miles from Salem, and Boston, easy day trips with the toad. And is also a lovely area on its own. Even Lake Winnepasaukee is a fairly easy day trip from that area. Cape Cod though is still 2plus hours away so if Plymouth and the Cape are on your itinerary, skirt Boston, preferably on a Sunday Morning on your way there.