cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Nightmare Grade: Amicalola vs. Black Rock Mountain in GA

AtlantaGuy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I rode up to Amicalola Falls State Park recently and could not believe the grade to the campground. I would estimate it to be in the neighborhood of 25% and decided then and there that I would never take my motorhome on that road.

Now, I'm thinking about going to Black Rock Mountain State Park and hear that this grade is also bad. Is it as bad as Amicalola Falls? Any and all advice appreciated.
2011 Winnebago View 24K
2013 Honda Fit
10 REPLIES 10

Chock_Full_o__N
Explorer
Explorer
Black Rock Mountain Rd is every bit as daunting as the Amicalola road. I was stuck behind a big motorhome going up to BRMSP one time. It was unnerving, let me tell you. I couldn't wait to find a place to part ways with that guy. I have been up and down those roads many times and you couldn't pay me enough to haul my trailer up either one of them.
"Those who dwell...among the beauties and mysteries of the earth are never alone or weary of life."--Rachel Carson, environmentalist, 1956

2009 Ford F250 XL
2006 Dutchmen 25F
Me & DH in non-parenting mode!

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
mudfuel07 wrote:
I took a 32' TT up Black Rock, it was puckering to say the least. If there was a car coming around the curve, I had to stop and wait for them. I heard that they were letting the campground go, that's sad because my family used to stay at the cabins every year. I have wanted to try Tallelauh(sp?) Gorge, I've heard it's nice.

Haven't heard that about BRMSP cg being discontinued although logically it would not surprise me as the road would be very costly to renovate for today's larger RVs.

Tallulah Gorge State Park has a decent campground, a bit on the small side. They're only approximately 35 minutes south of BRMSP on US 441.
http://gastateparks.org/TallulahGorge/
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

mudfuel07
Explorer
Explorer
I took a 32' TT up Black Rock, it was puckering to say the least. If there was a car coming around the curve, I had to stop and wait for them. I heard that they were letting the campground go, that's sad because my family used to stay at the cabins every year. I have wanted to try Tallelauh(sp?) Gorge, I've heard it's nice.
2020 Ram 2500 6.7 CTD 4x4 Tradesman(with a few toys)
2020 Puma by Palomino 32RBFQ for the kids!

washley1
Explorer
Explorer
I concur with ekirkland. There is no problem getting in or out of Standing Indian. We used to love camping at Black Rock, but that was with a pop up. We have a 39 ft 5er now, and very few sites will accommodate it, as well as the twists and turns on the climb up. Shame, because we love the park! Amicalola Falls is one LONG haul straight up, but sites are too small for us.

ekirkland
Explorer
Explorer
We stayed 4 nights at Standing Indian last week and I did not notice any problems with the roads. There were many large motorhomes and 5ers there. Easy in, easy out.
Eddie & Liz
Auburn, AL
=====================
2015 Jayco Whitehawk 27DSRL
2014 Ford F150 Ecoboost w/MaxTow & HD Payload
Nights camped in 2017 - 53

jaycocamprs
Explorer
Explorer
Amicalola Falls is steeper, but doesn't have bad curves. The road up to Black Rock Mountain is flat out crooked but not near as steep. And most sites at Black Rock Mountain are popup sized. And no, I'm not taking the 5'th wheel up to either
2018 Silverado 3500 DRW
2011 Montana Mountaineer 285RLD

moonlightrunner
Explorer
Explorer
There are length limits at Black Rock SP in Mountain City. In that area, you also might want to avoid Wild Cat 1 & 2 (west side of Lake Rabun & Seed Lake near Clayton) and Standing Indian (west of Franklin, NC). War Woman Dell is totally out of the question as a 4WD jeep has a hard time getting up there (yet is listed in my copy of Don Wright's Free & Cheap). For that area, you may be happiest staying at Tallulah Gorge SP. It has a nice beach, tennis courts and some very nice walking trails (the old rail line).

magnusfide
Explorer II
Explorer II
The overhanging rock and foliage at Black Rock limits how much you can ride close to the mountain too. As mentioned you're dealing with hairpin turns and once you're there in the cg the roads are narrow, the site lengths are short and many were overgrown when we visited last year. We did not camp there. Black Rock seems to have been forgotten by the state. All the other Ga State Parks seem to be maintained. A shame because the view is terrific.

Cloudland GaSP is better maintained with easier access and nice sites.
"The only time you should fear cast iron is if your wife is fixin' to hit you with it."-Kent Rollins
First law of science: don't spit into the wind.

Magnus

americanrascal
Explorer
Explorer
This brings back many memories. As a kid in college 50 years ago I got a wild idea and free climbed the face of Amicalola Falls with a buddy of mine. Man was I nuts! I hope I have become smarter with age!

Both parks are quite beautiful-- and getting to the mountain tops is rewarding. But getting up to either of them is more than I can chew on with anything but the very lightest weight and shortest of RV (trailer or motorized). While I would do them now only in my truck camper but never with my current 5th wheel, and I would never do them back when we had our class A and Class C. Not only is grade an issue but the switchbacks are 180 degree tight switchbacks (Not many switchbacks on Amicalola).

Going down is as bad if not worse than going up.

I think I'd add Brasstown Bald to my list of roads to avoid with an RV in GA also. Back in the early 1980s I tried that one in a Class C and smoked my transmission. Only made it half way up, and was running out of RPM's in 1st. Tranny got red hot and smokey. Managed to turn around and limp back to the base of the mountain. Learned my lesson on that one.

robsouth
Explorer
Explorer
It has been a long time, but as I remember they will not allow motorhomes and/or campers over 25 feet to attempt the climb. We went up with a 22 ft travel trailer pulled by a Ram 3500 dually with Cummins diesel and it was not too bad, but I would not try much more. It might could be done, but I don't know how safely. Coming down is another fun experience.
"Sometimes I just sit and think. Sometimes I just sit." "Great minds like a think."