cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Oregon/Washington motorhome trip

shelia_williams
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I are doing a west coast motorhome trip in June/July and I am trying to figure out what is our best route/plan for Oregon and Washington. We are travelling from Birmingham, Al in a 40 foot motorhome with 4 slides (tow a car for sightseeing) and going west by way of Louisiana, Texas, Arizona and then hitting Yosemite in California and then Pebble Beach. My husband's bucket list includes playing golf in every state so we are hitting each state he hasn't played in the west and on our route back. As I look at the map of Oregon and Washington, there is so much to do and we have from 7/3 to 7/19 that we could devote to these two states. We are mid to late 60s but in good health and physically fit so we can do walking/hiking etc. We spend about half our time at the beach at the gulf coast so we love the coastal environment. He still works from wherever we are so wifi is important to us in campgrounds and prefer to have full hookups (50 AMP) with a pull thru site--roughing it smoothly as our motorhome says on the back! From Pebble Beach, I thought we would drive through the Redwood National Park on our way to Oregon and just overnight and then finish the drive to Oregon. Any suggestions for campgrounds on this leg would be appreciated. Our first stop will be around the Bandon area as he wants to play golf at Bandon Dunes. I am looking at Oceanside RV Park in Coos Bay as it looks like it could accomodate us with a full hookup pull thru site but I am not finding any reviews of it. Any thoughts or other suggestions? I like to spend at least 2 nights, preferably 3 at a campground and go out and explore the surrounding area in the tow car. We will have from 7/3 until 7/19 to explore Oregon and Washington (yes, I know it looks like we could spend a couple of months but have to be in Nebraska to visit family by 7/30). I know we want to do the Columbia River Gorge area (stay in the Portland area?) and Seattle but would like suggestions on routes/places to see/campgrounds to fill in these days of the trip as well as any other areas that we should not miss while we are travelling in this area. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
16 REPLIES 16

catkins
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am a long time Washington resident but must admit that the Oregon Coast is SO much more accessible and scenic. 101 along the coast in Oregon is very drive-able but will be a bit slow with turns and in some cases some minor hill climbs.

If you want to see Seattle - check out Lake Pleasant RV park. North of Seattle but a great stop for visiting the area.

You know you time line is short so be sure to not be driving all the time. Lots to see and do as you move through WA and Oregon.

HINT: If you can drive 101 from north to south, the ocean and turnouts are then on your right as well as unobstructed views when oceanside on the highway.

ENJOY!!

shelia_williams
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks to everyone for their advise/suggestions. We know we need longer to do the area justice but my husband isn't retired and feels that he can't be away from the office any longer than the 2 months we have allotted for the whole trip. I am now going to use your input to finalize our plans--thanks so much!

accsys
Explorer
Explorer
You might want to check our blog for our trip to the Pacific Northwest in 2013 though we left from Florida and took seven months for the trip! We also give a short campground review with pictures at each stop. We are also making a return trip this year, leaving in two weeks. If you check our 2016 trip on the blog, you can also check our itinerary which includes our selected RV parks for this year.
John & Doris
Doris and Robbies Blogs
2017 Cedar Creek Cottage 40 CCK
FMCA F380583, PA, Good Sams

korbe
Explorer
Explorer
wirenutz wrote:
...........if your thinking of taking 101 through California, be prepared to get beat up by the roads...........

Please be specific, which areas are you talking about? My experiences along 101 have been just fine. I'm kinda gettin tired of the bashing.

corvettekent
Explorer
Explorer
Since you are going to Pebble Beach stop and see Carmel. Then drive up and see the Oregon coast (you will love Coos Bay) and the Washington coast. Skip Portland and Seattle but if you must be in the Portland area there is a nice RV park on Hayden Island. Crater Lake is on my to do list and would be a great stop for you but I don't think you will have the time.
2022 Silverado 3500 High Country CC/LB, SRW, L5P. B&W Companion Hitch with pucks. Hadley air horns.

2004 32' Carriage 5th wheel. 860 watts of solar MPPT, two SOK 206 ah LiFePO4 batteries. Samlex 2,000 watt Pure Sine Wave Inverter.

Roy_Lynne
Explorer
Explorer
I would come up I5 to Hwy 20 and cut over to the coast, spending a couple days in the Crescent City area to check out the Redwoods. Then I would head up the coast and if possible stay at any of the Oregon State Parks (You might want to bring your own hotspot because park wifis are notoriously bad and if you need it for work, it would be better than depending on theirs.)
Cross over to Washington on staying on 101 and do the Olympia loop as far as Port Townsend and then take the Port Townsend/Coupeville Ferry to Whidbey Island and finally take Hwy 2 over the Cascades.

TyroneandGladys
Explorer
Explorer
We have stayed at Oceanside RV Park in Coos Bay and love it!!!!!
Check out the gardens at Shore Acres State Park.
When we went to the Columbia River Gorge we stayed at Cascade Locks / Portland East KOA and would return.
We left Oceanside and went through Tillamook and stopped and had lunch at the Tillamook Cheese Factory on the way to Cascade Locks / Portland East KOA .
From Cascade Locks / Portland East KOA to Pacific Beach State Park is only 208 miles. We like Pacific Beach State Park so much we are hosting there this year.
Pacific Beach State Park is not full hookups but I think Ocean City State Park is full hookups.
Ocean Shores Golf Course is 17 miles from Pacific Beach State Park and 2 miles from Ocean City State Park
From Pacific Beach State Park try the best dam RV park The Elwha Dam RV Park and take a day trip to Cape Flattery the furthest West point in the 48 states.
Check out Purple Haze Lavender Farm in Sequim.
Tyrone & Gladys
27' 1986 Coachmen

Murphsmom
Explorer
Explorer
Marine By Choice wrote:
Harris Beach State Park would be my choice for overnighting in the Bandon Dunes area. But make reservations NOW!!!

Harris Beach State Park is in Brookings. Bandon is only about 17 miles south of Coos Bay.

wirenutz
Explorer
Explorer
BendOrLarry wrote:
Forget the Portland area, just another big city. Go to the coast and central Oregon, then you will see the best of Oregon.

I agree with the central Oregon, a lot of little towns to stop in, flat roads winding through the country side

if your thinking of taking 101 through California, be prepared to get beat up by the roads

the RV parks in Seattle area are VERY limited, stay over on the other side of the bay, you will find good golf courses, and take the ferry ride over, the mono rail is 4 blocks up from pikes place on 5th and pike, ask to catch a fish at the fish market in pikes place, they toss it over everyone, its fun to watch, but really you should find something to pass your time till after you go see your family, then take the north west tour with more time allotted to the trip, your window is too short to really enjoy yourself up there, JMTC
2007 All American Sport Toy Hauler 38 foot, 14,400 LBS dry weight
1999 Four Door Freightliner,new 6 Speed Auto, new Cat Motor, 12,600 LBS, rear air dump, lowers rear by 3", air activated rear locker, air ride seats, air ride cab, air ride suspension

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind in California you don't want to take your 40' MH on Hwy 1. Hwy 101 is o.k. but not 1. I'd also suggest that you drive 101 from San Francisco up through Washington. It's a beautiful drive. Stay off I-5.

Just north of Leggett and north of San Francisco, stop at Ancient Redwoods RV and tour the Avenue of the Giants. It's a wonderful area to see the big trees and there are nice easy trails through them.

Plan to stay in Sequim or Port Townsend, WA - very nice. From that area you can take the fast day ferry into Seattle which lets you off right at the Aquarium and Pikes Market area. Then you can take the monorail to Space Needle. It's easy to check out Seattle by doing it this way rather than driving into the city area.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Marine_By_Choic
Explorer
Explorer
Harris Beach State Park would be my choice for overnighting in the Bandon Dunes area. But make reservations NOW!!!

Corky12
Explorer
Explorer
I would go for the coastal section of Olympic National Park, Hoh Rain Forest, Port Townsend, ferry ride to Seattle to see the Space Needle, Pike Place public market, aquarium. Go across Highway 2 to Spokane and pick up I 90 for a quick trip to Nebraska. Campgrounds may be difficult to find this late. Wi-Fi in campgrounds is a myth. Be prepared with your own set up like Mi-fi, etc. Enjoy your trip. It is a beautiful country.

BendOrLarry
Explorer
Explorer
Forget the Portland area, just another big city. Go to the coast and central Oregon, then you will see the best of Oregon.

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Don't forget Crater Lake!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker