cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Portable Gas Heaters

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
We have a trip planned for early September, 2020, inside the Rocky Mountain National Park which is at an altitude of over 8000 feet. I have been considering a portable propane heater to supplement the furnace (to save battery) but note that there are alerts about them not working above certain altitudes. For example the Mr. Buddy or Big Buddy. Do any of you have experience using such heaters at high altitudes? I will appreciate your comments. I know we will need heat and wish to conserve the batteries as much as possible
18 REPLIES 18

padredw
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks to both responders. Yes, we do have 200 watts of solar (portable and movable) and 200 Ahs in 2 lithium batteries, so maybe we have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for responding.

RobWNY
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 200 watt solar "suitcase" that works great and has never failed to recharge the four 6V deep cycle golf cart batteries we have. It's much safer than a portable propane heater too.
2020 Silverado 2500HD LT, CC, 4X4 6.6 Duramax
2021 Grand Design Reflection 311BHS

I asked him to do one thing and he didn't do any of them.

Reisender
Nomad
Nomad
Howdy. We had friends in a similar situation and explored some of the options you are presently exploring. They chose to buy a 200 watt portable solar panel to just cover their extra power needs. He said the only thing that came up was they were in one spot in the trees that made it hard to get the panel in the sun. He bought an extra 25 foot extension cable for the panel and problem solved. He had to move the panel around during the day to keep it in the sun but said it wasnโ€™t an issue and the grand kids actually caught on to it and made it their duty. A learning situation for the grand kids as well.

Hope that helps.

Cheers.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Preserving batteries and using an unvented heater vs. a vented furnace and recharging batteries? Choice is easy for me...the safest way is the latter.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad