Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Quartzsite & The BLM!

Lexicon7
Explorer
Explorer
Quartzsite & the BLM!

While I am not currently full timing, I did get my proverbial feet wet last year and spent some time in San Diego County where my life once was and stayed in the Laguna Mountain BLM areas. For camping with my 2005 F-250 Super Duty and Lance Truck Camper, I acquired both a โ€œPermitโ€ for dry camping and maps at the Ranger Station in nearby Alpine but the area they sent me out to find was in the middle of a burned out area from recent brush fires. Needless to say I was beyond unhappy and could not stay there. After getting such wonderful assistance from said authorities in the area I decided to use the maps and try to find something with a bit more appeal! As a retired Land Surveyor I would have been amused by the โ€œmapsโ€ I was sold but had no recourse but to attempt to make them work!
I moved around a bit but was not impressed by the places I found and at no time was I confident I was actually IN a โ€œdesignatedโ€ dry camping area so it was tenuous going at best. Complications with my home sale had caused me to delay my departure which was planned for the winter desert season at Quartzsite so I ended up setting out right at summers beginning. Even so, one day I decided to depart the Laguna area and travel out to Quartzsite. I left too late in the day and after checking out some of the river areas I finally arrived at Quartzsite but could not be sure I had actually located any of the LTVA areas or La Posa as shown on line.
So the common problem was 2 for 2 with little or no signage at both of my early stops and the poorly marked BLM dry camping areas were a huge issue for me. Admittedly, by the time I reached Quartzsite the day was winding down and I ended up in the desert at dusk. Since finding a place to dry camp at night is just not suggested, I drove back to the Laguna's and hung out there a while longer.
My overall impression at least in San Diego was that it is a hostile area for boondocking no matter how you look at it. Seems that the BLM dry camping system is in place but the BLM does not like the political sense of it and would like it to go away and for everyone to stay in the very expensive โ€œpaidโ€ camp sites. No surprise there! After all, we are talking about California! No surprise at all!

I spent most of my life in San Diego for a total of 46 years and as a senior with many health issues, can not longer afford to life there and obviously don't want to camp there!!!
After much research, I am making my home in Arizona: I love the Colorado River and the climate speaks for itself. Since this will be new territory for me, I would love any input from anyone familiar with any dry camping up and down the river in AZ. Blythe, Parker Strip, Havasu and the like ::
21 REPLIES 21

Lexicon7
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Jeff, you are correct about the crowd. Also, I have COPD and have been warned that the air can get a bit of vapor at the slabs due to the poor quality of the salton sea so probably not good for me...

SCVJeff
Explorer
Explorer
Well for Quartzsite, "next time" will probably be late fall/ winter of 2015. At that time I guarantee you will have no problems figuring out where the BLM areas are... Just look for the thousands of campers in any given area.

For something closer to home, there is "The Slabs", south of the Salton Sea. Not for everyone, but there are plenty here that can give you the 411 on life there if interested.
Jeff - WA6EQU
'06 Itasca Meridian 34H, CAT C7/350

Lexicon7
Explorer
Explorer
Cool mom & Co, that's all great info thanks..
Ya there's a lot more to that story than needs to be said here...
Needless to poor planning but next time I'll get it right with the advice of my friends here..

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
North of LHC there are many dry-camp areas.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

coolmom42
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've never been to Quartzite but can tell you that there are many many people who spend lots of time there for free. Seems your problem was arriving at a bad time, and not taking time to scout out the area before hand.

There is a site/group called "cheaprvliving.com", and also a yahoo group called "vandwellers" who have tons of experience and info on free/cheap places to stay. Go to those sites and ask for advice.

Also if you are 62 or over, you can get a lifetime pass at any National Park or Forest Service office (for $20 I believe) that will allow you to stay for 1/2 price at any Federal facility, and no entrance fees. Lots of Forest Service sites will cost you $5-$6/night with that pass. All the Forest Service sites will have at a minimum vault toilets, and most of them have drinking water.
Single empty-nester in Middle TN, sometimes with a friend or grandchild on board

Golden_HVAC
Explorer
Explorer
Hi,

There are several campgrounds on BLM land around Quartzsite! I like the one about 5 miles north of town, on the right, along the Polomosa road. IT is about 3/4 mile east to west, with the west boarder along highway 95. It is both north and south of a paved road, and you can park there at night, then move to a suitable location in the morning.

If you are pulling in at night, and want to make sure you do not pull into a creek (even if it will be dry) you might want to spend one night in town, and explore the BLM lands in the daytime. There are several campgrounds in Q that are less than $30 for the night, and you can take that time to empty your tanks, and fill with fresh water.

Do you have a solar system yet? Several vendors sell the systems, and you should shop around for the best prices. SunElec.com sells panels for close to $1 per rated watt. Make sure that you are getting panels with a aluminum frame, and I like the 12 volt nominal panels, with the ability to use low cost PWM controllers.

You really have to conserve your grey tanks, so you might already be washing dishes in a dishpan, then toss that to some thirsty looking plants near the RV? Or put some of the soapy water into a 1 gallon jug, to use as flush water in the bathroom?

My fresh water tank fill is near my ladder, so it is easy for me to hang a 7.5 gallon tank there, and use a siphon to fill my 100 gallon fresh water tank, and spend 3 weeks in one location. I got pretty good at finding free places to get water while out sightseeing!

Have fun camping! I want to spend more time at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon. You can camp in the forest for free, May until snow returns in October. You might look into getting a Manx dune buggy for a toad, they are only 1,500 pounds, and great for sightseeing! Do a craigslist search for Manx and you can usually find a couple of buggies and some cats!

Good luck,

Fred.
Money can't buy happiness but somehow it's more comfortable to cry in a

Porsche or Country Coach!

If there's a WILL, I want to be in it!

I havn't been everywhere, but it's on my list.

Kangen.com Alkaline water

Escapees.com

MrWizard
would it not have been cheaper to pay for one night in Q then locate the blm land
than to drive all the back to Sd after all you were already there
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s