Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

"Weather Related" canceling

Stars101
Explorer
Explorer
Saw another post and it got me thinking-

Has anyone ever gotten flooded out of a campground? Did you receive a refund?

I always thought the clause in the rules that usually states "we will not provide refunds for bad weather..." only applied to someone trying to get a refund if it rained during their stay and they decided to go home. That I agree with.

But we had reservations a few years ago in Lancaster PA and the CG called while we were on the way down and said they were flooded out and to go to the local Walmart for the night. OK, fine, we're flexible. Spent the night at Walmart and called campground the next day (rained all day Friday as we drove down, but forecast was sunny x next 4 days). Called campground at 10am Saturday and asked for an update. They said their entrance was still under water and to call back after noon.

Saw some attractions, and called CG at 1pm. Were told they were still flooded but to call back in a few hours b/c water was receding. Decided to drive by and saw entrance - it was under 3 feet of fast running water.

By this time we decided to call around and try and get reservations at another place. After trying numerous CG's we found one that had an opening. Stopped by the original CG at 5pm and the entrance was still not useable, although the water had gone down a little bit. Or at least my DH wasn't going to pull a TT through that much running water. We watched someone leave and the fast moving water was up almost to the floor of his TT. And it got pushed sideway as they left...

Called the CG and asked for a refund b/c the water was more than was safe to drive through. Was told "well people are leaving so you should be able to get in!" Yeah - one person LEFT. No one was going INTO that. Met a few other campers who were at the road and they too said "no way" to going in.

Found a way to walk into CG from the side. And our site was under water! So not only was the entrance flooded, but our reserved site was under water. But they said they would move us to a dry area...:R

1/3 of the CG was flooded including the playground. And it was fast moving water; not standing water. So it was doubly dangerous b/c it was moving.

So what are your thoughts on the CG refusing to refund our 4 days reservation?
15 REPLIES 15

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
The first 2 days are a no brainer. They failed to provide you a place in their campground that you paid for.

The remainder is a bit muddier but you should be able to claim that you had to get a different site since they failed to provide a site at the start of your visit. The counter claim would be it was available for the later part of your trip.

I would ask for the refund and argue a bit. If they don't give in and you paid via credit card, I would file a claim with your credit card company for them failing to provide the service paid for. Baring that it's not worth getting a lawyer involved or taking them to court.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV