cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Rv parks in Waco area

AuntSmurf
Explorer
Explorer
We are full timers, doing some early research. We're thinking about wintering next year in the Waco area. We want something that is snowbird and pet friendly. Is that possible in Waco, or do we really need to go further south? This year is being spent in the Jackson, MS area. The campground is ok, but is full of year round dwellers and the lack of other "social" people is driving us crazy! There are a couple of places in Waco that I'm thinking about checking out, but want some imput from you all before I do.
4 REPLIES 4

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
I would go a bit farther south to Fredericksburg or Kerrville. We stayed at the KOA outside of Fredericksburg and it was quiet but friendly. Not many activities but we found plenty to do around the area. I believe the KOA has monthly sites in the rear. Nice shade trees.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

PawPaw_n_Gram
Explorer
Explorer
Several people winter at the US Corps of Engineers parks in Waco
Airport Park & Midway Park

You would be on a 14 day period, with an extension at the end of each 14 days. I've never heard of anyone being disapproved. Those are usually allowed between mid-October and mid-March.

Both have 50/W/S sites available.

However, this winter Airport Park (the better of the two in my opinion) is closed due to flood damage.

I've found COE winter over folks friendly, but there are no social events planned by the park.

I've lived in Meridian, MS, and in Dallas, TX.

Waco winter weather should be close to Jackson. There should be a couple really cold spells, but not lower than the mid-20s. Almost any RV will handle those temps fine with heat tape on the water hose, and some type of underbelly/ tank heaters.

There might be a winter ice storm in Waco.

Personally, I prefer farther south. I-10 is my personal dividing line. I like to be south of that if possible.
Full-Time 2014 - ????

โ€œNot all who wander are lost.โ€
"You were supposed to turn back at the last street."

2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab
2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS TT

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
Check out Quail Crossing. Its off of Texas state rd. 6 North West of Waco a few miles. Nice park, nice owners. Can't weigh in on wintering there because we never have. This is a no frills park mind you and I don't think you will find the people interaction you seek there either. Its a nice quiet park that is safe. You might look at the Galveston and Bolivar peninsula areas. We enjoyed our stays that area too.

dbbls
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on whether you want warm weather. Waco is not far enough in my opinion. We winter in Rockport and sometimes I feel this is not far enough, but I like the fishing.
2011 F-350 CC Lariat 4X4 Dually Diesel
2012 Big Country 3450TS 5th Wheel