Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Sequoia National Park 33 foot Travel Trailer

TenOC
Nomad
Nomad
I have a 33 foot travel trailer -- 65 feet overall

1. Is there any campgrounds in the NP that I can fit into in Mid-May???

2. If not any dry camping NFS of BLM sites close by?
Please give me enough troubles, uncertainty, problems, obstacles and STRESS so that I do not become arrogant, proud, and smug in my own abilities, and enough blessings and good times that I realize that someone else is in charge of my life.

Travel Photos
13 REPLIES 13

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I called the ranger a few days ago. Azalea is open. But the road from Grant Grove to Lodgepole is not.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Trailblazer87
Explorer
Explorer
Just a heads up, I live just down the hill from there, we got a large amount of snow this winter and you may encounter some closed areas due to this. Normally everything is open by mid may but this year has been an unusual one. You may want to check with the Park Service prior to arrival about conditions.
2004 31' Toymate by Automate
2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax

Wife and 2 dogs for travel companions, Blue the hound, and Ruger the Wonderhusky

greyhook
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 31ft. C and we stayed at Sunset CG in Kings Canyon. Great CG, we booked another day we liked it so much. You should have no problem getting your trailer in there. Don't repeat our mistake and try to enter Sequoia through the south entrance--- vehicle length restrictions! We further added to our adventure by taking State Hwy 245 through Badger to the entrance to Kings Canyon. Talk about switchbacks!!! I needed the whole road most of the time for our RV, any longer would've been trouble.

Veebyes
Explorer II
Explorer II
We were at one of the CGs in the park. Can't remember if it was Azalea or Grants Cove. Do remember the we provided the entertainment of the afternoon to neighbours getting our 35' selves plus truck into a site.

It was a short site with a steep drop off at the back. Remember being able to stand UNDER my trailer back bumper!!!!
Boat: 32' 1996 Albin 32+2, single Cummins 315hp
40+ night per year overnighter

2007 Alpenlite 34RLR
2006 Chevy 3500 LT, CC,LB 6.6L Diesel

Ham Radio: VP9KL, IRLP node 7995

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am pretty sure that Azalea at Kings Canyon will be fine -- we see big rigs there all the time. It's at 6500 feet -- bring warm clothes! It is right next door to Grant Grove. And you can take your truck down to Lodgepole and Giant Forest for day trips -- about 45 min away.

And Hwy 180 from Fresno to Azalea is a piece of cake.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Bob___Ann
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
Highly recommended. Park the trailer and drive into the park.
sequoia rv ranch

X2 Nice place to use as a base
Bob and Ann
Schnauzer - Della (Rainbow B 3/31/17)
Chihuahua - Lola (Rainbow B 12/26/18)
Autumn-Red Poodle
2019 Tiffin 40 IP Bus
Powerglide Chassis
Cummins 450
Onan 10,000 Watt
Four Slide/ 1.5 Bath
2021 Jeep Unlimited Sahara Toad
Demco Dominator & Airforce One

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 33 foot travel trailer -- 65 feet overall

Just curious. If your trailer is 33 feet long and your overall is 65 feet, then the tow vehicle is 32 feet long. What do you tow the trailer with that is 32 feet long? My Ram crew long bed 3500 dually is only about 24 feet long bumper to bumper.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

OutdoorPhotogra
Explorer
Explorer
I agree about Kings Canyon over Sequioia but I still don't think a 33' TT will fit in Grant's Grove. When I was local, I chose Kings Canyon and went to Gen Sherman from the Kings Canyon side when family was in town.
2008 Rockwood Signature Ultralite 5th Wheel
F-250 6.2 Gasser

Former PUP camper (Rockwood Popup Freedom 1980)

fanrgs
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, you're too long for the road into Sequoia NP from Three Rivers. But I highly recommend going to King's Canyon NP instead. It has two beautiful groves of sequoias too, including the General Grant. And campgrounds are much easier to find and to get into. We loved the dry camping (water and a pay dump available at the cg) at the USFS Princess CG, located east of Grant Village between the two halves of KCNP. We had paved cg roads, a whole loop to ourselves (on a weekend!), and a site that was completely shaded by sequoias. Gorgeous!

If you really want to go to Sequoia NP too, you can go there directly on a park road from Grant Village in KCNP. If you still want to go to Three Rivers, Three Rivers Hideaway RV Park sucks! Too many permanent residents--I counted 13 sites with very old, rundown RVs--and full-time residents who like to leave their vehicles parked half on the access roads and won't move them for the short-timers. Too many trees too close to the road to back a short 5th wheel into some spaces, manager gone most of the time, one washer and dryer, and an uphill road to the dump if you don't get a FHU site (which we reserved but didn't get). Probably the worst RV park we have ever been in and that's saying a lot because there are a lot of pretty bad ones in Alaska.
"Retirement is the best job I ever had!"
2015 RAM 2500 4x4 crewcab 6.7L CTD; 2016 Rockwood Signature UltraLite 5th wheel

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems like you are too long. https://www.nps.gov/seki/planyourvisit/vehicle-restrictions.htm
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is there any campgrounds in the NP that I can fit into in Mid-May???

Interesting question. Be sure to ask when making a reservation if the site length is for the trailer only or for both the tow vehicle and trailer. If it is just for the trailer you might be able to park off site with the tow vehicle. Most national parks do not easily accommodate 65 feet overall length rigs. I second parking outside the park and just driving in without the trailer.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
Highly recommended. Park the trailer and drive into the park.
sequoia rv ranch
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Two_Hands
Explorer
Explorer
The national park's website will describe the sizes of the campsites. Reserve America will probably do the same thing for all the campgrounds in which you are interested. You might also consider staying in one of the campgrounds in Three Rivers which is just outside the south entrance to the park.
2015 Fleetwood Excursion 33D
2016 Grand Cherokee Limited
Retired Law Enforcement
U.S. Army 1965-1973/RVN 1968-'69

I am the frequent recipient of "Get out of the way old man!"