Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Shutdown park woes

agesilaus
Explorer III
Explorer III
Trouble

The examples all seem to be in California for some reason....
Arctic Fox 25Y Travel Trailer
2018 RAM 2500 6.7L 4WD shortbed
Straightline dual cam hitch
400W Solar with Victron controller
Superbumper
38 REPLIES 38

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
lol, and there is another thread in these forums talking about keeping the parks open...

https://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/29814826.cfm

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
During previous shutdowns I read about people complaining about the National Parks being closed... they are owned by everyone, so everyone should be able to use them all the time.

So this time they are kept open, and now people are complaining that everyone is using them.

If the managers of the parks can "shutdown" sections of the park that are considered special for whatever reason, then they should do that.

I think there is some political **** going on with the media, with reporters searching out the worst of the issues, to make it sound really bad.

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
colliehauler wrote:
Bob806 wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
It's nice that local groups and businesses are helping with the maintenance work but it would be even nicer if those that are going to eventually be paid in full, when their paid vacation is over, would also help.

Very, very good point.

Wow, sorry that comment is totally uncalled for. It's not the employees' fault they're not working, they basically got locked out by partisan politics.
They will receive back pay in full for not working. Please explain why they should not be working if they will be paid for it. Don't show up for work no back pay.

I'm sure it's contract language negotiated by both parties.

You don't violate those agreements or you are subjected to discipline, whether your in management or a grunt. I bet it's in the "grieveance" section of said contract.

dewey02
Explorer II
Explorer II
GeoBoy wrote:

If I was a NP worker, I would put my uniform on every day and report to work, to protect my/our National Park!

Sorry, but it doesn't work that way. Federal employees are forbidden from going to work or even volunteering during a shutdown. They are subject to disciplinary action, or even firing for insubordination if they did not obey. I was a Federal manager and went through several shutdowns, the Clinton-era one being the longest at about 3 weeks. We wanted to work, even for no pay during the shutdown, but were not allowed to do so. (Only those considered essential like LEOs, and a few Line Officers were allowed to work.)

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bob806 wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
It's nice that local groups and businesses are helping with the maintenance work but it would be even nicer if those that are going to eventually be paid in full, when their paid vacation is over, would also help.

Very, very good point.

Wow, sorry that comment is totally uncalled for. It's not the employees' fault they're not working, they basically got locked out by partisan politics.
They will receive back pay in full for not working. Please explain why they should not be working if they will be paid for it. Don't show up for work no back pay.

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
And then there's the South Florida national parks:

Nonprofit staff and tour guides are keeping South Florida national parks clean
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sure your nearest park will welcome your help as a volunteer. Good for you and let us know how it goes:)

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Bob806 wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:

Very, very good point.

If I was a NP worker, I would put my uniform on every day and report to work, to protect my/our National Park!

Bob806
Explorer III
Explorer III
GeoBoy wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:

Very, very good point.

shelbyfv
Explorer
Explorer
Another of those things that sounds good until countered by fact. It's illegal for Federal workers to "volunteer" during a shutdown. You can Google for details. In a nutshell, there would be too much opportunity to abuse employees. FWIW, there is no guarantee they will be paid, though they have in the past.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Lynnmor wrote:

Very, very good point.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
DutchmenSport wrote:

No, it starts at the bottom. It starts with you and me. If (you and me) did the "right" thing, then there would be no need for any kind of intervention from "the top."

If nothing else, those of us who cherish our National Parks, who cherish the great outdoors, and who want to continue to preserve this way of life for ourselves and our children, then all we can do is take our own personal responsibility ... leave your campsite cleaner than when you first arrived. Simple. If everyone did that, at lease one part of this world would be a much better place.

The one who throws a simple cigarette butt on the ground for someone else to pick up is just as guilty as these people who are destroying our parks right now by leaving trash and human waste.

I couldn't agree with you more. Every time we go to one of our favorite fishing spots where we are able to boondock, we have to do cleanup.
Water bottle caps are the worst, followed by cigarette butts, and beer cans.
Too many people just assume someone else will pick up after them.
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

Fleet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Cardinal rule for responsible campers, You pack it in, you pack it out. Always leave your campsite cleaner than you found it, Those complaining the loudest are probably the biggest laziest slobs of all.
2007 Winnebago Journey 34H
Toad, '08 Ford Taurus X
Blue OX, Aventa
US Gear UBS